XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Default Use Testmy.net or else!!NO MORE speedtest.net posts will be allowed!!!

I have been saying this since inception of this site, about how speedtest.net results are a fraud... so , need more proof??... from the motorola canopy forums... from a wisp in Kingston, Ontario.

http://motorola.motowi4solutions.com...php?f=1&t=6178

The package we sell on 900 MHz is "up to" 1.5 Mbps/512 Kbps, with the downlink ratio set at 75%.

For customers who can keep a 2X rate they get that as a sustained rate plus a megabyte burst down and and half a megabyte burst up. We find that it's enough so that web surfing is snappier but keeping things fair - plus the Ookla speedtest mini widget (available from speedtest.net) shows about a 2 Mbps download rate which is kind of nice.

For our customers on 1X we cut things down (one particular AP has a handful of these...). 1024/256 sustained with 4000/2000 kbit burst. Haven't had any speed complaints from anybody, our heaviest 900 MHz AP is 37 SMs with 10 of them running at 1X and bandwidth settings like above. I'm thinking of upping the burst a bit for the 1X SMs though...
Old 09-15-2009, 11:35 PM

Not to argue with the OP, but what the other forum was talking about was bursting to allow their product/packages to go beyond what is marketed to allow a better user quality of experience...

And in theory a network administrator could do all kinds of tricks to fool speed tests... like not shape a specific protocol at a certain destination address... transparently proxy etc. etc... which just brings up ethics. A good ISP discloses to the customer and doesn't over promise under deliver. If the other forum was allowing the radios which do the shaping to uncap for low-rate traffic to reduce latency for voip and gaming during periods of no congestion... that's good as long as they market the product as it is.

Testmy.net is good... but no speed test is perfect... and I am able to download faster from microsoft.com than my speed test shows I should be able to. That could mean a number of things... but I know for a fact that I am not doing anything special for Microsoft... I run the network. I can transfer files via ssh to some of my friends server across the country at my line speed as well. My problem MAY be related to an issue in one of my peers network on my path to testmy.net's bandwidth source.

I know my speedtest.net results will be line rate if I test against Kitchener because we provide the bandwidth for it and its local to us.
If I don't get my package rate there something is wrong.

I say take it all as a grain of salt but if you have a poor quality of experience while on the net you have a right to bitch. If you never get near the download rates you are sold from anywhere, something is wrong. Due diligence should be made to fix the issue or at least get to root cause.

Last edited by jaymemaurice : 09-15-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Heres a thread on another forum that shows how SpeedTest.net speeds can be fudged.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=103314

and an issue with Xplornets burst is that a 3Mbps package can drop back to 800Kbps(depending on tower saturation). And that is in the next package speed.
Bursts are actually described as 'Up To' package speed, on Xplornets documents. Some independant installers websites have the 'up to' replaced with 'Burst'.
Actual Speeds bursts are probably part of Xplornets secret documents(industry secrets) that no one is allowed to see in government documents, where the tax payer supplied money to Xplornet.

The cable internet industry gives a package speed and then the top package speed with burst.

Testmy.net has many test sizes to determine burst speeds/duration.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 09-15-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Argue with me all you want BUT!!!!

To put it in ENGLISH, no jargon, no bullshit.. testmy.net offers various download sizes for you to test... if you pay for 3 meg service.. what happens when you download a 10 meg file...??? you burst for the first 3mb then get downgraded to 5-800k for the rest!!!!!

So you are not really getting 3mb service and testmy.net PROVES it beyond a shadow of a doubt... if you have ever done a test there.. they will compare you to all the "xplornet" addresses you belong to and compare that... my test result and I dont pay for it... the AVERAGE user gets avg 134.2 (870 Kbps).. thats for the 1.5 to 5 meg package.. so what are you trying to say???

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 1053 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)
Download Speed is:: 129 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2009/09/18 - 9:47pm
Bottom Line:: 18X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 7.94 sec
Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 23.844 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 21.03 % faster than the average for host (134.2)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-238Z5ALNE
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

HERES a 12mb download

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 534 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 12280 kB)
Download Speed is:: 65 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2009/09/18 - 9:53pm
Bottom Line:: 9X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 15.75 sec
Tested from a 12280 kB file and took 188.296 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 61.45 % of your hosts average (134.2)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-PKOB91U4G
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

Are you trying to justify xplornet's action who is to cheap to upgrade the bandwidth, and will oversubscribe, over advertise and falsely advertise... whats your point... testmy.net will show you how fast you can download.. from servers in the states.. which 90% of the traffic people use, are based.. not TORONTO.

google, microsoft, yahoo, itunes, youtube, ebay, facebook, twitter, world of warcraft, xbox etc etc... name me a server in canada that JUSTIFIES NOT having your speedtest based on most peoples traffic going into the US.. the rest are just bogus, manipulated and bought speeds for ISP's advantage...hence testmy.net. This is a real test of your speed... however I can get 1000 MB between my computer upstairs and the one down.. does this mean I can advertise a one gigabet network connection to my neighbours??? Thats what the other server tests.. the main pipe from hydro one to your computer which is an excellent pipe, the problem is xplornet hasn't bought enough of it for its users... once your traffic is jammed up like the 401 because of lane restrictions, you aint going anywhere FAST!!! And i would dare anyone to suggest the equipment isnt up to the task... check out the motorola canopy forums... where ISP's do give what the equipment is capable of full time... or just ask a STORM user who got upgraded to xplornet!!! LMAO
and if you want to justify the number of users... here is the ap i am connected to..

Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 28714 feet TxBER: 1 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 1 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 1 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1354 SectorID: 2 Color Code: 173 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 86
NumULHalfSlots: 16 NumDLHalfSlots: 52 NumULContSlots: 3

the user count will spike to over 120 users...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemaurice View Post
Not to argue with the OP, but what the other forum was talking about was bursting to allow their product/packages to go beyond what is marketed to allow a better user quality of experience...

And in theory a network administrator could do all kinds of tricks to fool speed tests... like not shape a specific protocol at a certain destination address... transparently proxy etc. etc... which just brings up ethics. A good ISP discloses to the customer and doesn't over promise under deliver. If the other forum was allowing the radios which do the shaping to uncap for low-rate traffic to reduce latency for voip and gaming during periods of no congestion... that's good as long as they market the product as it is.

Testmy.net is good... but no speed test is perfect... and I am able to download faster from microsoft.com than my speed test shows I should be able to. That could mean a number of things... but I know for a fact that I am not doing anything special for Microsoft... I run the network. I can transfer files via ssh to some of my friends server across the country at my line speed as well. My problem MAY be related to an issue in one of my peers network on my path to testmy.net's bandwidth source.

I know my speedtest.net results will be line rate if I test against Kitchener because we provide the bandwidth for it and its local to us.
If I don't get my package rate there something is wrong.

I say take it all as a grain of salt but if you have a poor quality of experience while on the net you have a right to bitch. If you never get near the download rates you are sold from anywhere, something is wrong. Due diligence should be made to fix the issue or at least get to root cause.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 AM

"about how speedtest.net results are a fraud..."

I realize this thread is old but I thought I'd add some info on my experince with the speedtest.net product (ookla). No matter which testing site I went to (sites using the ookla product) all my downloads were inaccurate and looked like they were skewed with a rapid burst at the end of the test.

I emailed the speedtest.net people and they did reply indicating that this issue was usually caused by an Internet Security product (I'm using Kaspersky). Sure enough when I disabled Kaspersky for a download test, my results were accurate (tried this several times on different sites).

I have been experimenting with settings in Kaspersky that could affecting the speedtest.net results but have not had enough time to play with all the options. Perhaps if someone finds the specific option in their particular security product, they could start a new thread with their results...
Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Just wanted to note.

if this test is being fudged, I'm in worse condition than I thought.

That's a 5-Mbit "Xtreme" connection.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage View Post
Just wanted to note.

You can also try DSLreports 'java' based speed test.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?java=1

Also noting that Xplornets "up to-5Mbps" package, is actually "burst-5Mbps".

I was reading a post the other day on DSL reports,
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r254...-tests-may-be-
, and a user posted that with a "flash" based speed test, he was stuck at a particular slow rate, but on a "non-flash" based speed test, it showed at the proper speed. The other posters told him his Flash(or his plugins too) was broken and to uninstall and reinstall it. He responded that the purpose of his post was indeed that, "flash" can get borked.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 02-15-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage View Post
Just wanted to note.

wow, Xploitnet has no shame...

countries all around the world are forcing ISPs to give faster and cheaper internet and here in Canada we're getting more expensive and slower

only the ISP benefit and the crtc / politicians whose pockets they line

i can get faster and cheaper internet in mexico