XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 04:24 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Default New satellite 'ViaSat1' for 2011

Xplornet has confirmed that they will be using 15Gbps of capacity on the ViaSat1 to be launched sometime in 2011.

4 ViaSat1 gateways to be in Canada.
New modems will be SurfBeam 2.

http://www.xplornet.com/media/61072/...n%202010_e.pdf

http://www.xplornet.com/media/61163/...n%202010_e.pdf

ViaSat1 specifications.
http://www.viasat.com/broadband-sate...works/viasat-1

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 01-10-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM

yeah, but there is still the underlying problem of latency, not to mention Xplornet's poor tech support, high prices, locking customers into long term contracts, along with expensive hardware / installation costs

what is needed is more competition in Canada for satellite internet, not having Xplornet/Barrett run practically everything and acting like a monopoly

"if you don't like our service, then cancel" seems to be their answer
as long as my only other option is dial up, what choice do I have?

I still recall a big article in a major Cdn. newspaper, when Ka band was announced in Canada, in which a top executive of Telesat made a statement akin to; "close to dsl speed for close to dsl price"

he and I must have very different definitions of "close"

not to mention that with global warming, we're seeing much more intense weather which will also hinder effective satellite internet up time - i.e. 80% of max speed, 80% of the time, which I have yet to obtain

satellite internet is inherently a bad technology - the latency and weather issues will ALWAYS be there, regardless of what kind of satellite they throw up there

unfortunately large corporations in Canada have supported the CONservative gov't of Canada which is very pro big business and as such have given "carte blanche" to these corp. to abuse Cdn. consumers

why else do we in Canada pay one of the highest cellular rates in the world?

the CRTC is toothless, especially after seeing how they reacted to Bell's traffic shaping

I recently watched the CRTC hearings when the TV cable and satellite companies made their case for dumping local channels - heaven forbid they'd have to pay for something that they then charge the consumer

the CEO of Shaw Comm. came across like he was hungover and had just woken up after having smoke a pack of cigarettes - in my opinion he was crass and disrespectful as the kept dumping on CBC stations as somehow they were preventing him from getting a much needed haircut

we need MORE gov't regulation as these large corp. will try to get away with as much as they can as long as no one tries to stop them - they have lots of money and know how to 'spread it around'

Last edited by bogey1 : 01-21-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Default Customer service at xplornet

Well - - I actually called head office. Customer service is dead!!! Long live customer service.

Order of events.
1. Called customer service to find out procedure to sign up for new service (4G) when it happens.
2. Answer - - no idea.
3. Your local installer will mail (!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?) out flyers announcing new service.
4. You will sign up for transfer with them. (My local installer sucks and blows!!)
5. Called head office.
6. Hung up on when I asked for the executive assistant to the president.
7. Called right back - - rang 20 times - no answer.
8. Called again - - got same receptionist - asked for marketing department.
9. She cannot transfer the call - she is unable (!?!?!?!) to do so.
10. Assures me that they do have customer service but that they will call me on their schedule to tell me nothing.

Re: more government regulation - - the company lobbyists have a lot better connection that we do as individuals.

Now if we band together as a large group of their customers we will get some answers.

Does anyone want to work with me to find a way to slap the company upside the head with the proverbial 5 day old fish to get their attention? o1bigtenor
Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1bigtenor View Post
Well - - I actually called head office. Customer service is dead!!! Long live customer service.

Order of events.
1. Called customer service to find out procedure to sign up for new service (4G) when it happens.
2. Answer - - no idea.
3. Your local installer will mail (!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?) out flyers announcing new service.
4. You will sign up for transfer with them. (My local installer sucks and blows!!)
5. Called head office.
6. Hung up on when I asked for the executive assistant to the president.
7. Called right back - - rang 20 times - no answer.
8. Called again - - got same receptionist - asked for marketing department.
9. She cannot transfer the call - she is unable (!?!?!?!) to do so.
10. Assures me that they do have customer service but that they will call me on their schedule to tell me nothing.

Re: more government regulation - - the company lobbyists have a lot better connection that we do as individuals.

Now if we band together as a large group of their customers we will get some answers.

Does anyone want to work with me to find a way to slap the company upside the head with the proverbial 5 day old fish to get their attention? o1bigtenor
ah, that old Xplornet 'customer service' experience

and they wonder why they are so hated....