XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Arrow Hughesnet satellite 'Jupiter' for 2012

Xplornet has announced it's deal with Hughesnet for the third generation satellite.
PDF.
http://www.xplornet.com/media/59053/...oct%202009.pdf

Sorry to say that it's a three year wait. But according to the specifications, you may be able to actually watch video's to your hearts content.
Quoted 10Mbps home package speeds and 25Mbps business package speeds.

How far north will the spot beams will be pointed? Don't know yet.
Prices? Don't know either.

So hows your current speeds anyways? PrimeTime and off-peak time. And whether you are Telesat or Hughesnet(HN9000 modem).
http://www.testmy.net/speedtest/d_load.php

The next Telesat offering? Sometime in 2011. Another third generation satellite.
http://www.viasat.com/news/viasat1-t...oadband-market
No real details, other than WildBlue in the States is starving for new bandwidth in areas.

And now as long as they can build NOC's/Gateways to handle all that throughput.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 11-02-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM

Its a shame they cannot invent some kind of worm hole technology, or "subspace" to make latency better :P Don't get me wrong, 10 Mpbs is great, but with 800ms latency and a 400 meg download limit I cannot see myself getting real excited quite yet.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ca View Post
Its a shame they cannot invent some kind of worm hole technology, or "subspace" to make latency better :P Don't get me wrong, 10 Mpbs is great, but with 800ms latency and a 400 meg download limit I cannot see myself getting real excited quite yet.
well put
over selling the service and the high latency will never make satellite internet anything more than a stop gap solution for users and a monopolistic money making business for the owners

this is why i trust big business less than big gov't

the CRTC should be all over Bellto force them to install land based DSL wherever they currently have phone lines installed by canadian tax payer dollars and millions of tax breaks from the federal gov't

i can get cheaper and better internet access in Mexico and Canada is supposed to be a 1st world country

shame !
Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM

WOW upto 10meg download so then it will only take about 30 seconds before the FAP takes over and your down to dialup speed!!.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
well put
over selling the service and the high latency will never make satellite internet anything more than a stop gap solution for users and a monopolistic money making business for the owners

the CRTC should be all over Bellto force them to install land based DSL wherever they currently have phone lines installed by canadian tax payer dollars and millions of tax breaks from the federal gov't

i can get cheaper and better internet access in Mexico and Canada is supposed to be a 1st world country

shame !
One has to remember where you are, and what the service is. We are 150 km from the nearest town. We have no, power, no phone, no services at all, and yet for ~$60/month I can do business on the web, get e-mail, use Voip phone. While I am not a great apologist for Xplornet or any other ISP, I do think the fact that for ~$200 in hardware I can do any of this. Canada is a HUGE place with a small population so that in essence every wired connection is very expensive. What other option would you suggest that we (as a country) should support that will do what Sat ISP does at a similar cost. I would argue that Barrett/Xlornet is not printing money on it service. Launching/maintaining a sat network is not cheap.

By contrast Mexico is a tiny place with a much greater population density.

Icarus
Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
well put

shame !
I completely agree with your CRTC comment, having to put up with satellite is an utter joke... We live in the 21st Century, DSL should be everywhere, especially since I live only 10 minutes away from the nearest town and they get much faster speeds than I do...