XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 AM

Thumbs up From An Installer To Customers (Install criteria)

From an Installer to a Customer

Things to do during your install (or even after)
1: BE HOME WHEN YOUR INSTALL IS DONE ? this is for your own protection ? this way you can tell you installer where you want the dish, where you want the cables run, etc.
2: Before the installer leaves your site (be it for the install or for a repair) look at the system for:
a- Are the connections at the dish waterproofed?
b- Is there a drip loop between the tria (the lnb) and the mount (this stops water from running down the cable to your house)?
c- Is the cable from the dish to the modem strapped up neat and tidy?
d- Is the cable waterproofed where it enters your house?
e- Are the connectors at your modem compression style? (some installers will use crimp style connectors ? this is a big no no)
f- What is your cable like? Acceptable brands are comscope, belden, and eagle aspen the only approved colour is black)
g- What is your cable length? For rg6 - 75?to 150?, rg11 - 100? to 210?, any longer get power to the install site and you can run up to 320? with cat 6
h- What is your deviation of your snr
i- What is your power level?
j- Is the dish mounted securely (not on a tree, or a building or part of a building that moves)? Are the stabilizer bars on the mount? Did the installer use lag bolts (believe it or not I have seen a few that the installer used wood or roofing screws)?
k- If your install is done in the winter will it have a clear line of sight come spring?

As I think of more things I will add to this if you want
Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Good start for correct satellite installation install procedures, and future trouble shooting ( ie you have problems in future and notice a lack of anything mentioned above!

THANKS!

PS.. before installer leaves he might want to leave important info like which satellite you are on, pointing info, and signal strength/speed benchmarks.. after he/she confirms connection. The latter being important to benchmark future issues such as dish movement/line of site issues (such as trees blocking after spring)

The reality being, a properly installed dish should not suddenly need realignment after 6 months... look at bell and starchoice.. who do you think ends up paying if a customer calls in to say he isn't getting TV reception.. it won't be the customer, yet xplornet allows installers to build in the possiblity of future revenue from not tightening screws/improper or sloppy installation. This should be the one thing every satellite user should complain about if you have or are forced in the future to pay for a "realignment" fee. The other thing you could possibly do... kind of sneaky but... if you have sat high speed, you probably have sat TV... call your sat TV provider and claim to have crappy signal... they send someone out for free and ask them while they are there to check out your xplornet installation..

With this info I imagine you could future proof yourself against costly service/ re alignment calls if weak signals could be traced to a poor/improper installation.. or just the reality of oversubscription being the most likely culprit.. which they would in the end have to admit!!!!

but i rant

thanks again for the INFO!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplornetadmin View Post
before installer leaves he might want to leave important info like which satellite you are on, pointing info, and signal strength/speed benchmarks
If we’re talking Ka, then there only is one satellite. Anik F2; the same as star choice. I suppose it is an interesting tid bit of info. But completely irrelevant and without use.

Are far as signal strength, there is no such thing as "signal strength" in a traditional sense. There is no % number like on star choice. There is SNR deviation and a Tx power; that’s it. The installer can certainly tell you the SNR deviation; it has to be 3 or less. But seeing as you can't activate it to get it online without it being 3 or less, then obviously it is if it’s working when they leave.

Quote:
The reality being, a properly installed dish should not suddenly need realignment after 6 months
It shouldn't. Of all the installs and work orders I've done, never seen a problem due to miss alignment. Caveat to that is, once or twice I've had an issue where the trailer/shed where the dish was mounted to shifted due to ground thaw. But that’s not so much a case of the dish moving, the building moved.

Quote:
The other thing you could possibly do... kind of sneaky but... if you have sat high speed, you probably have sat TV... call your sat TV provider and claim to have crappy signal... they send someone out for free and ask them while they are there to check out your xplornet installation..
Assuming they'd even know what they’re looking for. But you'd likely turn your so-so service into non existent service when it gets knocked out of line. (And your so-so service is so-so because of over subscription, not usually alignment) There is no instant feedback signal strength meter like there is with star choice.

Quote:
With this info I imagine you could future proof yourself against costly service/ re alignment calls if weak signals could be traced to a poor/improper installation..
Actually this suggestion would be a fool proof way to completely void any warranty you may have had.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Linux Member

After my installation, my installer gave me a single-page printout entitled "COMPLETED KA INSTALL: TECHNICAL REVIEW" (if memory serves, he printed this back at his office, and I picked it up on my next visit). In addition to my customer name, customer number, and activated email addresses, it gives "Technical Details Related to Successful KA-Band Installation":

MAC Address of Registered SM: ********
SNR Deviation: -1.42
Actual SNR: 14.2
Actual Power Level: -20
Target SNR: 15.62
GPS Latitude: ********
GPS Longitude: ********

You should certainly ask your installer for this information. Even if he's a long distance away, he should be able to mail this to you...or e-mail it, for that matter.

P.S. I'd be curious to know what the "Actual Power Level" number represents. I'd expect this is decibels relative to some reference level, but without knowing that reference level, the number doesn't say much.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Thanks Brad... with the water issues and Trias mentioned in another post...would be interesting to see if their would be a power drop with a water saturated TRIA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
After my installation, my installer gave me a single-page printout entitled "COMPLETED KA INSTALL: TECHNICAL REVIEW" (if memory serves, he printed this back at his office, and I picked it up on my next visit). In addition to my customer name, customer number, and activated email addresses, it gives "Technical Details Related to Successful KA-Band Installation":

MAC Address of Registered SM: ********
SNR Deviation: -1.42
Actual SNR: 14.2
Actual Power Level: -20
Target SNR: 15.62
GPS Latitude: ********
GPS Longitude: ********

You should certainly ask your installer for this information. Even if he's a long distance away, he should be able to mail this to you...or e-mail it, for that matter.

P.S. I'd be curious to know what the "Actual Power Level" number represents. I'd expect this is decibels relative to some reference level, but without knowing that reference level, the number doesn't say much.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 PM

The reason behind this post was the fact the last few repairs that I have done were due to the PISS POOR installs done by other installers in my area

most of them were caused by no water proofing on the tria
one of them was a mispoint caused by the way the dish was mounted (snow came off the roof and moved the improperly mounted and not tightened dish) and because I could prove it xplornet payed for the service call NOT the customer

and there is more than one KA bird up there now
you can have a modem locked with a devation more than -3 it just requires a phone call

and I like the idea of the check sheet (I think I will steal it )

and with this information , if the installer refuses to fix his screwup and do the job the way we were trained by xplornet to do, I would sugest that the customer take pictures and send them to xplornet or to a different installer in the area

should this be a sticky?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Things To Do before An Install:
1: Decide where you want the equipment installed, inside and out
please , please don't ask for the dish to be installed over a tin roof in bad weather, the landing after the fall really hurts
2: have the space where you want the inside equipment clean, Nothing worse than having to move that 500 pound desk to run a cable
3: let your installer know if you want any extra equipment installed, and if they need to bring it, ie. wireless routers, network cards
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 PM

Default cable fastening

staples r also a big no no

just fire up micro wave to see what i am talking about when a cable has been punchered

how about the big 7/8 inch hole they drill not needed i may add

and all the extra wire that is coiled up
Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 AM

well when running a duel cable a 1/2" hole just wont cut it 3/4" min, it should be sealed before your installer leaves the site, as for the coil of cable minimum system requirments are 75' of rg6 so you are stuck with a coil somewhere, and i agree staples are a no no proper clips should be used
Old 04-20-2008, 01:04 AM

Default service agreements

I have just one request for installers before they leave. Please leave a copy of the SIGNED service agreement with your customer. it is my understanding that every customer is supposed to sign one. It's very irritating when you find out little to late that you "signed" a 1,2, or 3 year contract and that you were charged a system access fee that is apparently on the the agreement but were never told about.