XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Satellite users. Can you "Unleash the power of the online world on your terms"?
Yes 4 7.55%
No 42 79.25%
It will do 4 7.55%
It will do and Can I have Dialup in the evening, please? 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Question Satellite Poll

Is your Xplornet/Telesat satellite service like what the advertising says? Can you "Unleash the power of the online world, on your terms"?

Edit: Note that when this poll was posted on May 11 2008, that Xplornet's advertising was the title of,
"Unleash the power of the online world, on your terms"

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 05-24-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Linux Member

Well, we just had to switch to our backup dial-up account because Xplornet took the satellite service offline for several hours this morning. So I've been reminded of how slow dial-up is where we live. I'm voting "it will do," because it's the best service available to us at the moment, even though I can't do everything I wish I could, and the things I can do are slow.

In theory (ha ha) we will have fixed wireless service (not from Xplornet) in our area within about 8 months. We have 12 months left on our 2-year Xplornet contract. Here's hoping.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
Well, we just had to switch to our backup dial-up account because Xplornet took the satellite service offline for several hours this morning. So I've been reminded of how slow dial-up is where we live. I'm voting "it will do," because it's the best service available to us at the moment, even though I can't do everything I wish I could, and the things I can do are slow.

In theory (ha ha) we will have fixed wireless service (not from Xplornet) in our area within about 8 months. We have 12 months left on our 2-year Xplornet contract. Here's hoping.
I see where some of these un-registered lurkers come from and there are a lot of small wireless ISP's out there(hooked into a small cable company or co-operative)). Maybe 1 to 5 towers per ISP.
But an interesting thing is that many do not bother with packages over 500k. That way they can have more users but less of a demand to keep upgrading bandwidth, so they don't they go broke from major upgrades and shut down or end up getting bought out by a bigger national company.... And generally the 500k does not have any major slow down in Primetime either.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:51 PM

I voted "No" since I am unable to stay connected for usually more than 5 minutes at a time. (I was actually shocked when I had a severe lag death playing WoW the other night and realized that I hadn't switched to my dial-up and had been connected for over 15 minutes!!)

I have the small business package and have had to resort to a sympatico back-up dial-up account so I can work. (If I can get my work emails to d/l within the first 5-10 mins. I am online, then it's ok...otherwise I am tearing my hair out.)

Oh, and their "new and improved" email completely sucks. Even with a T-1 connection from work, it's as slow to access as my dial-up! WTF is up with that? I've stopped giving people my xploitnet email address and just go with hotmail since it is quicker to access.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:55 PM

Xplornet has a new advertising catch phrase.

Surf, download, bank, connect, search, blog, shop, share, browse, chat, learn, upload, explore... faster.

Wasn't this type of ad style in the 80's? Bombard people with key words, so they get excited for a product.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplornetsuck View Post
Xplornet has a new advertising catch phrase.

Surf, download, bank, connect, search, blog, shop, share, browse, chat, learn, upload, explore... faster.
They neglect to mention that the customer shouldn't expect to do most of the above unless they're willing to shell out at least $99 per month...Why bother mentioning the Kazam package at all? (See my post about banking.)
Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 AM

Default NO

I am finding that the service in my area (north of Stouffville, East of Newmarket Ontario) generally quits around 3 in the afternoon, and only starts working again at 11pm. and this is completely independent of the weather. Yesterday was clear, 23C temp, no wind - but my surfbeam only had two solid lights. I am an early riser, and I do all of my web surfing and email at home between 5:30 am until 7:00 am. Xplornet works great at this time, usually 1MB down and .1MB up - and it works generally in all but the most severe weather!

This pattern of down service has been my experience for the last couple of months

What this tells me is Xplornot has completely oversold my beam and cannot handle any traffic in the afternoon. Service is POS.

Fortunately, I am in an area that is covered by the new 3G wireless service from Rogers, so I am looking at the new IPhone and using the browser on it when my Xplornet is not working. Not perfect, but better than dial up.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 PM

Weather has to be OK not just at your end, but at their ground station's end as well.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Default can you unleash the power

I live in rural Nova Scotia, with my only other option being dial up at the moment. Xplornet ads made it sound pretty good. But first I had to buy my equipment instead of rent ($700.) then was locked into a 3 year contract to get a few dollars off their full monthly rate of over $65. dollars per month. OK, I thought it's got to be better than the alternative. The first month or so was reasonable as far as service went, then it went downhill. It is terribly slow for the cost, and i get FAPed often whether i download anything or not. The entire month of March 2008 was Faped, even when i wasn't online. They sent me a link to a speed test site which gave nice numbers but when i used independant tests the numbers were no where close to the same. The front line techs are often poorly trained and as well have a list of excuses on hand to try to sooth their angry customers. I'm sure i heard all or at least most in the nearly 100 calls i made to their tech line in the last year. Everything from "It must be your computer", to "It sounds like you have a virus issue", and even "Try plugging your modem into a dedicated socket". I just want someone to teach them to use vasilene first and perhaps a kiss would make it seem less like a rape. I wish to go on record as saying officially, "Xplornet SUX" thx for letting me have a say and good luck to all who have to endure this torture.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:56 PM

Xplornet would have to pay me to use Telesat KA.. I would not touch that stuff with a 10 foot pool. Had it for under a month, and prime time was very similar to my Aliant Dialup I had prior.

Hughesnet KA is acceptable in all departments except for the 200 meg daily limit. They need to raise that limit to about 1 gig before it would truly be useful for sites like youtube...

On a side note, Youtube, online streaming etc work perfect at all hours of the day with my base package hughesnet.