XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Xplornet troubles in Milton Ontario

Well acording to a local newspaper article, and other news, it would appear xplornet is not meeting their contract obligations, of the promised 95% coverage rate, in rural Milton there have only been 400 instalations to date

( from my observations some of these instalations are not even in Milton) as xplornet cleverly erected towers where they could get more subscibers, (surounding area) and get the government money from Milton at the same time.

The newspaper article quoted , that the Milton Township Government is urging all residents to get a Free site survey done to determine all the dead zones in coverage, so if you live in Milton PLEASE get a xplornet free site survey done

Xplornet's states it underestimated the amount of extender towers it needed, and will install more if needed, this statement is an understatement, maybe they could start with even one, zero have been installed to date.

I personally need a 70' tower and my location is only 5km away from one of their highest most powerful towers, and guess what NO Signal. yet some of my neibours which are NOT in Milton get service,

It would appear xplornet is going to need a magic wand if they expect to meet their contract in Milton,

Last edited by Mac : 08-01-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Not sure where in rural Milton you are Mac, - but I'm seeing the hardware going up everywhere in Nassagaweya. I'm in Milton - southwest of Acton. There's stretches of road on my way to work where it's on almost every house.

Sorry to hear about your experience thus far, so far I'm happy and so are the friends that have the service.

I'm about 1.77 miles from a tower that it's aimed at,- and when I look at the map I have towers in every direction from my house.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 PM

What Map are you refering to ? the last xplornet meeting I attended, xplornet would not give me a copy of their map which located their towers,

can you please direct me to the map your refering to.

Last edited by Mac : 08-01-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:01 PM

Default Bad deal for milton

If my math is correct ...

Milton paid close to one million tax dollars to xplornet to provide low cost high speed internet to 95% of the area, and with only 400 people able to get service that works out to the tune of $2500.00 Milton has paid xplornet for each connection,

Great deal for xplornet, and a really bad deal for Milton Township and their residents
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Can you not...

realize that the process is just getting started? Your logic, math and expectations are off base Mac. Rome wasn't built in a day.

And, if you look it up you will find that the province contributed $480,000 and the town UP TO $200,000, for a total of no more that $680,000. That's a far cry from the town spending a million as you put it. I think Barrett is spending almost $5 mil, pretty sure it's not to wind up with 400 customers.

http://www.xplornet.com/partnership_milton.php
Old 08-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Mac,

I found this map online at one of the installers:

http://www.conxcom.ca/survey-form-jgm.html#

What area are you in?

Also,- I believe the locations are listed on the Town's website.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Heres the News items. (Slow site.) Exerts posted here, Since these local papers tend to dump their articles after a couple of months. And hopefully the towns service agreement specifically says 'Wireless connection", and not the easy out of 'satellite coverage' to make the 95% level.

http://www.miltoncanadianchampion.co...article/194343

The Town is encouraging rural residents interested in using the new high-speed Internet service to have their signal strength tested.

The message was delivered by Director of Corporate Services and Treasurer Linda Leeds at town council's meeting Monday night.

She told council that Xplornet, the Internet service provider, has its required eight towers in service now and about 400 rural customers have been connected to the service so far.

"This data and field testing will determine where there are gaps in service," she said.

EXTENDER TOWERS TO FILL ANY VOID

She said once the gaps have been mapped out, they'll be filled by extender towers by late summer.

After the extender towers are in place, Leeds said 95 per cent coverage of the rural area will be achieved -- a number that's required through Xplornet's agreement with the Town.

Ward 3 Councillor Cindy Lunau urged all rural residents to have their signal tested, even if they're not yet interested in getting the Internet service.

She added that 25 to 30 per cent of rural customers have been connected so far, So times 4 = 1600 customers?

And Milton's website.
http://www.milton.ca/townhall/projects/broadband.htm

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 08-01-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-Milton View Post
Mac,

I found this map online at one of the installers:

http://www.conxcom.ca/survey-form-jgm.html#

What area are you in?

Also,- I believe the locations are listed on the Town's website.
Milton map.
http://www.conxcom.ca/Images/west-coverage.jpg

South of Lake Simcoe map.
http://www.conxcom.ca/Images/east-coverage.gif
Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM

Correction:

Milton has paid xplornet $1700.00 for each subscriber so far, still a bad deal for Milton

there is really is no need for xplornet to continue here with any more extenders, towers or promises of service, the Rogers network is here already, and growing, I am quite happy with roger's service, and support.

Rogers did not ask for any tax money to setup here and to run their business, and their network actually works!

Who needs to look at more ugly useless xplornet towers, they are pretty much a useless eye sore, and unless you can actually feel the radiation from them you might get service.

And please if anyone can direct me to an actual xplornet map of the towers built so far please do.

Sorry but I will continue to ask xplornet for service, demand an explanation, and xplornet will be made accountable, for every penny, as it's my tax dollars that are being used, and it will be very simple for me to go away, all xplornet has to do is refund my tax money.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:59 PM

Mac - where exactly are you that you can't get a signal - general area?