XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2008, 08:05 AM

Arrow If you intend to use Xplornet from Storm... Negotiate..

1) Demand a free of charge static IP address (or refuse the service otherwise). I was offered it after I complained enough about their policies. It is within their power to do so since it is closer to the type of service that Storm used.

2) Demand the 5 mpbs service for the price of the 3 mpbs service (or at least some discount on it). Again, it still won't be what you had with Storm, but at least your capped sustained dl speeds will now be ALMOST comparable to the cheapest and crappiest DSL and/or cable company packages (~100KB/s). This will only work if you get the 2.4 GHz Motorola radio (a small radio the size and shape of 2/3 of a loaf of french baguette)

Seriously look into Bell's WIMAX

http://tiny.cc/CTe8i Click on Coverage area. Make sure NOT to take it for granted that you do/don't get the service. Move around on their coverage map so that you can tell if you're in a pocket of reception, or if you're at a lower elevation, won't be able to get it. For ex. my address says I can't get it, but it also placed a pin on the map that's 15 km away from my house. When I scroll over to where my house is, I get reception. Hell, you MAY even be in an area that allows for the interior modem (though exterior modems are faster speeds).

or Rogers Unplugged

http://tiny.cc/sn47p

Many rural residents of Ottawa can get these services that 5 years ago ONLY Storm serviced.

Good luck.

Dunno if you want to sticky this or not.

Mod Edit::: Adding link to another post as well. First page. http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forums/...read.php?t=305
"Surprise for Storm -> Xplornet converts"

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 05-19-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Just checked again and seems I can get both now. Bell or Rogers with an outside modem.

Too bad i'm already locked into xplornet too bad it wasn't avail here last yr.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:56 AM

They won't negotiate. My "conversion" rep called me again today (I still am with Storm) and I went over my concerns. I told him that at least a static IP would be the starting point of getting my business. He told me, "I can't offer anything for free. If I gave you that, it would be posted on the interned ten minutes later, then everyone else would be calling to ask for the same thing."

That's the final nail in the coffin for me. Helllllllloooo, WiMax

Just FYI, the Explornet rep told me that Storm will still be up "for at least a few more months." I'm hoping that it never goes away...
Old 05-24-2008, 12:57 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Well, I guess if enough former Storm ISP users went over to the competition, Xplornet would have to close down the newly acquired towers for lack of subscribers. Just like the tower closings that Xplornet has done in a couple of markets that have gotten something better.

But thats how competition works.

Even though the cash saving incentives to sign up for a 2 or 3 year contract, seeks to disable competition in the short term...

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 05-24-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Default **Storm users don't sign a contract or let them take your hardware.

** They tried to lock me into a contract I complained and they agreed to NO CONTRACT.

** I told them I paid $400 for my storm equipment and that the only thing they could take off my property is the storm modem which I rent. They said no way and I complained and they said I could keep everything except the modem but I would lose the $50 credit they were going to give me. Did everyone switching from storm get a $50 hardware credit? If not you might want to tell them to bring back your equipment which they STOLE!

I can no longer vpn into my work or telnet/vnc to my compouter at home. This is because they put a router on the antenna so now I can't do any port forwarding. I complained and they say I have to pay for a static IP. If they don't give me one for no extra charge I am seriously looking at BELL Wimax which I called and can use.

My speed never gets over 1500kps and yet I am paying for the 3m service. They say I need to submit three speedtest.net tests over a 24hour period or they won't help me with my speed problem.