XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM

Default MCSNET Distance

I'm 10 kilometers from a mcsnet tower. What do you think my download speed will be?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 PM

The max range MCSNet installs at is 10 miles, so as long as you are under that you have a potential for a shot, at least as far as distance is concerned. The AP's are actually set at 15 miles but it is a policy to not install over 10.

Distance does not limit the speed of the connection in any way other than the consideration of what frequency of radio is used. MCSNet only installs 100% link test shots that are -75 or better. So if you get a shot with a 2.4GHz you are good for up to the highest package. 5.7GHz is not very likely given that range, but if you have a great line of site it would potentially work as well.

If you get a shot with a 900MHz, which is more likely if you have trees you will be limited to a speed of around 3 Mbps, however the top level package is still available because of the larger download cap it offers (60gb)

If you visit the site, www.mcsnet.ca and do a sign up with either legal land description, or GPS if you have it, GPS being far more accurate, the website will tell you based on that data if there is a potential for a shot or not at which point someone from scheduling will give you a call to book an install if you would like one at that time. However there is no obligation to get installed by putting your information in on the website. It is more of a no obligation way of showing interest than a "sign up"

If you put your information in and are not eligible for service MCSNet keeps that information and it all gets plotted into google earth, this is one way in which Management decides where to put new towers. If there is a high interest shown in an area, a tower is likely to go up there sooner. So even if you don't have MCSNet towers in your area, the more people in your area that show interest on the website the better.

Last edited by SavagePotato : 01-25-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 AM

If you get a shot with a 900MHz, which is more likely if you have trees you will be limited to a speed of around 3 Mbps, however the top level package is still available because of the larger download cap it offers (60gb)

I thought the highest residential package had a 40GB cap. That's the one I'm on.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peavey515 View Post

I thought the highest residential package had a 40GB cap. That's the one I'm on.
Yes, that's correct sorry. The cap is 40 in rural areas and 60 in some of the larger towns we cover. The reason being more backhaul links to rural areas along with the predominance of 900mhz equipment leads to a bit tighter limits to ensure better speeds for everyone.

The only places with 60 gig caps currently are some of larger towns, St paul, Bonnyville, Cold Lake, for example.

However the idea remains the same the advanced package is still available regardless because of the larger cap, in this case 40 for rural areas. If you have a 900 you are limited to around 3Mbps, if you have a 2.4 which is also common in rural areas you will have access to the full speed as well. 5.7 is far less used, but the equipment is there on most of the rural towers as well.

Last edited by SavagePotato : 01-31-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Default Airnet - Major Steam, 360 issues this weekend

Weird was doing well at first, then for a week or so I was stuck at <512kpbs, gaming was dodgy. So I called them and in a day or so I was back up to 3.3Mbps, great pings etc. But since Thurs/Fri, gaming is basically a no go - take Modern Warfare 2 on Steam, almost instant session starts of well, but within 2 minutes of actual play my connection drops...every time. Ditto with the 360, trying various games.

These guys are pretty responsive, and you talk right to the techs it seems, so hopefully we'll see if they can fix it tommorrow!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePotato View Post
What type of SM do you have? The 900 mhz radios are not capable of doing 5.2 / 1.2 for example, however, MCSNet still makes the package available because of the Increased download cap offered. The objective of course is to use 2.4 or 5.7 as much as possible and 900 as a last resort of course, sometimes there is no other option if you are in a difficult location.

If you have 900 you will have either a flat panel or a yagi antenna mounted on an arm. If this is the case there will always be limitations of speed due to what the 900 radio's are capable of.

I ask because that does look a little bit like what I would expect from a 900mhz speedtest.
I just noticed this post SavagePotato, sorry I didn't reply sooner. I do have a yagi antenna. Tower is 6 miles straight south of me and behind a slight hill and some trees. I thought it was the 2.4ghz unit because it's not the typical flat panel units i see around.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Unhappy

Ugh not sure that I can recommend Airnet anymore, I've literally been down more than up the past two months...posting now at around 0.01Mbps, with occasional spikes to 0.3Mpbs. I'm pretty much a stone's through or two from the tower. I don't know what's up with them, it really does a solid 3Mbps when it works, but that has been less and less lately, and everytime I think they finally have things fixed, bang it's broken again.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinp View Post
Ugh not sure that I can recommend Airnet anymore, I've literally been down more than up the past two months...posting now at around 0.01Mbps, with occasional spikes to 0.3Mpbs. I'm pretty much a stone's through or two from the tower. I don't know what's up with them, it really does a solid 3Mbps when it works, but that has been less and less lately, and everytime I think they finally have things fixed, bang it's broken again.
Summary:

Negatives:
- tech support (almost) never calls back
- tech support only seems to be available 9-5
- network status pages seem to only be updated after the fact, if at all
- my internet constantly slows to a crawl - like 0.01Mbps, I'll call in and in a few days might be fixed, only to go down again a few days after that
- might also be the case that they don't have enough tech support guys and they just plain don't have time
- expensive

Positives:
- when everything is working I was getting a solid 3.3Mbps, Both ways!
- very fast ping (11ms sometimes in speedtest!)
- they did credit 50% on my account for issues last month - though having said that, I'd rather pay even more and be able to count on internet working
- decent (for fixed wireless) caps - think i'm at 60GB, break it into 4- which can be + or - depending on how you use your internet

Maybe my connection is the exception, in which case Airnet would be excellent, but from my experience they've really dropped the ball...still hoping it'll get fixed and just stay fixed (as it worked okay for Dec/Jan).
Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinp View Post
Summary:

Negatives:
- tech support (almost) never calls back
- tech support only seems to be available 9-5
- network status pages seem to only be updated after the fact, if at all
- my internet constantly slows to a crawl - like 0.01Mbps, I'll call in and in a few days might be fixed, only to go down again a few days after that
- might also be the case that they don't have enough tech support guys and they just plain don't have time
- expensive

Positives:
- when everything is working I was getting a solid 3.3Mbps, Both ways!
- very fast ping (11ms sometimes in speedtest!)
- they did credit 50% on my account for issues last month - though having said that, I'd rather pay even more and be able to count on internet working
- decent (for fixed wireless) caps - think i'm at 60GB, break it into 4- which can be + or - depending on how you use your internet

Maybe my connection is the exception, in which case Airnet would be excellent, but from my experience they've really dropped the ball...still hoping it'll get fixed and just stay fixed (as it worked okay for Dec/Jan).
I think it may be you.

My parents have not complained of a drop in connection or speed in over a year. At least a random one, storms don't count. Sorry, if the power goes out somewhere on the grid, it breaks the chain. That's the nature of the technology.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Unhappy

Yeah but going on 3 days now, no internet, no returned calls etc. Very frustrating. I think it may just be that they just plain don't have enough people (must be difficult with a huge area to cover).

I will be sure to post if things get fixed and everything is fine again. I'm sure I'm just have a bad run, and it's like person A may hate Ford because of a bad truck and person B may hate Hyundai because of a bad experience or whatever. They may go to their graves insisting that brand A is bad.