XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 PM

Hey guys. I am here to offer some information about a local ISP in the Southwestern Ontario area surrounding ~60km of Waterloo region.

To be up-front, I am slightly biased as I work there as one of the senior techs in charge of our DSL and corporate solutions.

With all that in the open, we are an ISP who got into wireless about 5 years ago. We started as a typical DSL/Dial-Up ISP who specialized in corporate services like private networks with co-location services, corporate spam and content filtering etc...

Anyway we started doing the wireless with the acquisition a small WISP... and since then we been trying to focus on providing the best connection at a fair price. We have a completely meshed back-bone topology utilizing link-state routing protocols through all our new network.

We strive to minimize oversubscription, latency and maximize the potential efficiency of our network. We try and keep our backbones under 50% maximum utilization.

Our packages may seem small... but you should get what you pay for unless we tell you that its not feasible from the start. We do not allow P2P on our network and currently make a lousy attempt to block it. The only shaping we do is to shape you to the package you buy. We have transfer caps that we enforce and usually warn you with a phone call. If you know you are going to go over just consult us and we'll work out a package that is fair for both of us.

The company has been around over 10 years and is financially strong with no outside investors.

If all this sounds good still and you are near Kitchener Ontario - call us.
The company is Netflash Internet Solutions and our number is 519-741-8167

#1. Are the Speeds as advertised.
Yes. They should be - but it may not be possible to get all packages in all areas.

#2. Do Speeds slow down in the evening. And if so, by how much.
They should not. Our primary customer base is corporate users and our peaks with our peering ISPs is from 11-4... but still lots of room for overhead.

#3. Do you have any problems running games and download applications?
We discourage customers from using P2P apps and may make an attempt to block them outright... this was done because when we originally acquired the wireless business the network was a big bridge+nat network. This has been fixed in most areas as we roll out our new network... but we want to keep the policy there. We hate having to push back on copyright infringement notices and such. We have the power to make anything work and a competent staff. Our tech support can talk to the guys who designed and plan the network so if something does not work there will be traction to get a resolution.

#4. Small ISP or Large ISP?
Small ISP ~20 employees across all affiliated companies.

Last edited by jaymemaurice : 09-15-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added the 1-4
Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 AM

My results from MCSNet

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 2263 Kbps about 2.3 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)
Download Speed is:: 276 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2009/12/04 - 12:03am
Bottom Line:: 39X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.71 sec
Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 11.094 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 86.26 % faster than the average for host (mcsnet.ca)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-FYNXL6DK5
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SV1; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; InfoPath.2) [!]

Results are fairly consistent. I've only had a couple of tests that were low, but still way faster than what i had before. I have the 5.2Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up package. I think there must be something running on the laptop that lowered this test

Last edited by Peavey515 : 12-04-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Default Airnet in Hamilton Township, pretty decent so far

Don't have the stats, but I've recently moved to Hamilton Township and have Airnet's second highest plan. Speeds have been decent, Steam works and everything, they recently doubled their caps, so my 30GB - oh crap time to ratchet down the online purchases etc, is now 60GB which was my average usage before (had Teksavvy, with 250GB on DSL before - most I ever used was 95 - and that was rebuilding a PC, doing a lot of re-downloading etc).

Anyways, haven't tried gaming on-line yet. AppleTV works pretty good, though I do get some hiccups, which I hadn't experienced before. Overall speed has been good, slower than DSL, but overall I really don't notice the difference. The install was done well, the installer was great.

Seems like a decent enough company so far, working pretty good for me (though I can see one of their towers and am actually quite close).
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Angry I've Had It With Xplornet

I signed on with xplornet 1.5 years ago. Was promised this was a new system, I was number 3 getting it. Price would probably be $45 month. Find out it is $65, if I want less, sign longer contract than 2 years. Like Hell!!!
Lets not forget that they promised me an installation fee of around $300. I get a bill for $1 000 because of needing special pole because they could not mount the satalite on my house.

Had super slow speads, phone up, told to go to speedtest.com. Well everytime I go there I get great results, takes 10 minutes to do the test.

Finally 1 year and 3 months in I am furious, start phoning up, again told go to speed test. Results are fine I am told. Horse crap I say, this is not right. Hours and hours are spent on the phone. Test my computer, test another computer, we think you have a virus, do another test. Acording to our test here your system is perfect. More hours and hours spent with these jackasses. I finally prove that it is not my computer, but lets not forget that everytime I phone I have to deal with level 1 crap and do more flippin speedtest everytime I call. I finally freak out, stop being nice, get to a manager and it is finally figured out that I have a modem problem.

Remember now, I have been adamant for over a year that my system does not work. Their sollution, if I sign another 2 YEAR CONTRACT, they will cover the cost of my modem, and I have to pay for the service call, but I must sign a 2 year contract. Too bad for me, I am out of warranty and should have been phoning sooner about my problem. Lets not forget how they trick you into thinking your system is fine by sending you to speedtest.

SCREW THEM. I will pay the $25 per month penalty to get out of this contract. Get this, I go to Rogers, I either pay $399 and no contract and get a rocket hub, or $149 sign two year contract and get a rocket hub. For the same price I can have 10gb of down load, or if not using much, the price will be as low as $45. Plus unbelievable speed. Aparantly it does not take 10 minutes to download my newser, only 10 seconds. With out a word of a lie, rogers is 100 times faster.

The best with xplornet, the couple of time I could get any kind of speed and I accidently went over 200mb of download for the day. They zapped me and I had slower than dial up for 24hours because I am over my equal sharing. Too bad for me that most days I was lucky if I used 10mb.

SCREW YOU XPLORNET, I HOPE YOU GO BANKRUPT.

HELLO ROGERS.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 AM

I got my parents on www.airnet.ca 2-3 years ago, and they are still with them today. I have been 100% satisfied with them, and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Any time I need, I can call and talk to the owner, not tech support. The OWNER of the company. To the questions.

#1. Are the Speeds as advertised.

- Yes, usually better. They advertise 2.5, I average up to 3. Next time I am at my parents I will do a speed test and edit this post.

#2. Do Speeds slow down in the evening. And if so, by how much.

- Nope, not really. Never been capped or throttled either.

#3. Do you have any problems running games and download applications?

- Didn't ever try gaming. But download are a non-issue. Auto-updates, to larger files seem to be no problem.

#4. Small ISP or Large ISP?

- Small ISP located in Centreton Ontario.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Xplornet test

"Not the fastest broadband, but it's broadband... Your connection scored 1.5/5 stars." (test again)
773 Kbps or 0.8 Mbps (94 kB/s)

I got a problem here that i don't understand, this speed test shows crappy figures(usually does)and I can never get the same results twice.
In reality my internet is almost always faster than the speed test and when I download torrent files I get consistent download speeds of about 550KB/s all day long.
Can somebody explain why there can be such a range in speed?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peavey515 View Post
My results from MCSNet

Download Connection is:: 2263 Kbps about 2.3 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)
Download Speed is:: 276 kB/s
Test Time:: 2009/12/04 - 12:03am
Bottom Line:: 39X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.71 sec
Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 11.094 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 86.26 % faster than the average for host (mcsnet.ca)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-FYNXL6DK5
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SV1; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; InfoPath.2) [!]

Results are fairly consistent. I've only had a couple of tests that were low, but still way faster than what i had before. I have the 5.2Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up package. I think there must be something running on the laptop that lowered this test
What type of SM do you have? The 900 mhz radios are not capable of doing 5.2 / 1.2 for example, however, MCSNet still makes the package available because of the Increased download cap offered. The objective of course is to use 2.4 or 5.7 as much as possible and 900 as a last resort of course, sometimes there is no other option if you are in a difficult location.

If you have 900 you will have either a flat panel or a yagi antenna mounted on an arm. If this is the case there will always be limitations of speed due to what the 900 radio's are capable of.

I ask because that does look a little bit like what I would expect from a 900mhz speedtest.

Last edited by SavagePotato : 01-15-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Here is the airnet.ca speedtest.

Download Connection is:: 2320 Kbps about 2.3 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)
Download Speed is:: 283 kB/s
Test Time:: 2010/01/17 - 8:54am
Bottom Line:: 40X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.62 sec
Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 10.819 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 0.48 % faster than the average for host (airnet.ca)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-D9B6NCXME
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 [!]
Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Rogers Rocket Hub

Download Connection is:: 4423 Kbps about 4.4 Mbps (tested with 6144 kB)
Download Speed is:: 540 kB/s
Test Time:: 2010/01/18 - 2:38pm
Bottom Line:: 77X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.9 sec
Tested from a 6144 kB file and took 11.38 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 55.9 % faster than the average for host (15.16)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-Q0VI6OUSC
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 GTB6 [!]
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yah mon View Post
Xplornet test

"Not the fastest broadband, but it's broadband... Your connection scored 1.5/5 stars." (test again)
773 Kbps or 0.8 Mbps (94 kB/s)

I got a problem here that i don't understand, this speed test shows crappy figures(usually does)and I can never get the same results twice.
In reality my internet is almost always faster than the speed test and when I download torrent files I get consistent download speeds of about 550KB/s all day long.
Can somebody explain why there can be such a range in speed?

If your access point or backhaul links supplying your tower are capped or close to capped you will get the balance of whatever is left of the pie. That will be whatever the number you see on your speedtest.

In an example with an access point putting out 7 Mbps lets assume you have 10 users on it with packages allowing 2Mbps. In this scenario imagine all 10 users are trying and succeeding in downloading full pin. That would mean you have 20Mbps of demand and 7Mbps available.

In reality 7Mbps would go a lot farther than 10 people for the most part, as normal usage seldom sees patterns like that.

This is the nature of Canopy wireless. The pipe will indeed get bigger as the new OFDM stuff starts to get used. Like Motorola's PMP430 series, which gives you 40Mbps per AP, coupled with their OFDM backhauls which provide as much as 300Mbps.

Now as for speedtest sites, I personally do not put a lot of stock in them. If you are getting a good solid rate like 550 all day long you are doing fine, and that's the test of ultimate importance for me. I have noticed using my work connection at home for speedtests does give strange results that are not indicative of real performance as well. I tried it when I was the only person on the 2.4 ap that was just put up with tons and tons of bandwidth available from the home office back to supernet fiber and still saw weird fluctuation in some speedtest sites despite good download speeds. I had initially thought it had something to do with radio burst allocation, but turning it off had no effect. In the end I didn't put much thought into it beyond taking my actual download results at a higher value than a speedtest.

Last edited by SavagePotato : 01-19-2010 at 10:40 AM.