XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Arrow Non-Xplornet, ISP customer survey

Are you a customer from another wireless ISP? Or are you borrowing someones connection , looking for a faster internet connection?

Post your Wireless ISP , And what you think of it for service and speeds.

#1. Are the Speeds as advertised.
http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/d_load.php
Use the Larger Test (3MB) - 3072 kB , To avoid any speed 'Burst' from affecting speed test.

#2. Do Speeds slow down in the evening. And if so, by how much.

#3. Do you have any problems running games and download applications?

#4. Small ISP or Large ISP?

And anything else you can think of, as a rating..

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 05-16-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 PM

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 2315 Kbps about 2.3 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)
Download Speed is:: 283 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/05/16 - 7:37pm
Bottom Line:: 40X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.62 sec
Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 10.843 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 85.65 % faster than the average for host (storm.ca)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-SWE3V6O7H
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0) [!]

#2 I can go down to 1200 Kbps, often around 1500 kbps during peak hours. Outside those hours always 2 megs + .

#3 I don't game. Speedtest latency is around 50ms.
I Downloading files occassionally -Azureus, no problems speeds are about160KB/sec (700 meg file 2-3 Hours)

#4 EEK!! Storm, more than likely to be converted, but I will NEVER, FCKN NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT!!!!

FOR THOSE XPLORNET LURKERS,

I DO NOT HAVE A CONTRACT WITH MY HOME PHONE "BELL"
I DO NOT HAVE A CONTRACT WITH MY SATELLITE "BELL"
I DO NOT HAVE A CONTRACT WITH MY POWER COMPANY" HYDRO ONE"
I DO NOT HAVE A CONTRACT WITH MY HEATING OIL COMPANY "***"
I DO NOT HAVE ANY CONTRACT WITH "STORM" MY ISP.
DO YOU SEE WHAT I SAYING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY THE FCK WOULD I SIGN A CONTRACT WITH ANY ONE!!!!!!!!

IF ANY OF THE ABOVE PISSES ME OFF THEN POOF, THEY ARE OUT OF MY LIFE
THIS IS MY HARD EARNED MONEY THAT PAYS THE MONTHLY BILLS, I DON'T NEED SOME COMPANY BULLYING ME OUT OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY.

OPTIONS, NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS WHY THE FCK FCK FCK , YOU GUYS THINK YOU ARE SO SPECIAL TO MAKE EVERYONE SIGN A CONTRACT. HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM, LETS SEE............HIDING SOMETHING FROM EVERYONE????????????????

I WOULD / WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM TAKING xplornet ON AS MY ISP, BUT

OPTIONS, I NEED MY OPTIONS!!!

NO CONTRACT! PISS ME OFF, THEN NO MORE MONEY FROM ME.

Oh by the way I do have options in the rural ISP.
-Bell wimax is an option for many.
-Rogers portable is also an option.

OH BY THE WAY
ROGERS PORTABLE "NO CONTRACT"
BELL WIMAX " NO CONTRACT "

FYI - The rogers web site is really out of date for the " available service maps". They have expanded alot recently.

ALSO I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU TRY THAT SHT ABOUT YOU ARE A "STORM" CUSTOMER SO YOU ARE ALREADY BOUND TO A CONTRACT WITH US!!!!!

FCK ME SIDE WAYS!! I AM READY, BRING IT ON BIG BOYS. YOU HAVE SOO MUCH TO LEARN ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE RELATIONS. YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE WITH ETHICS LIKE THAT.

Oh well, venting does help. We will see.

Thanks,
CK
Old 07-01-2008, 12:07 AM

Frontier Communications

Speeds aren't as well advertised as some other ISPs, but the speed is pretty much constant. Not bursty. I get about 1 mbps on good download sites.
I'll get a better test once xploitnets interference is figured out.

No real slowdowns in the evening.

NATed, but most stuff seems to work fine.

Small ISP

No Traffic Shaping or Bitcaps

Covers a good part of Centre and South Hastings and parts of the Tyendinega reserve.

Last edited by andros : 07-01-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added note about speed test and xploitnet interference
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM

I have the xplornet service, i also have another competing service in our area called Airnet (ciaccess.com) .

With Xplornet i get around 1200-1800kbs on speed tests, with airnet i am getting 300-380kbs....while faster speed would be nice, xplornet is actually vastly superior in every aspect compared to Airnet.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfjd View Post
I have the xplornet service, i also have another competing service in our area called Airnet (ciaccess.com) .

With Xplornet i get around 1200-1800kbs on speed tests, with airnet i am getting 300-380kbs....while faster speed would be nice, xplornet is actually vastly superior in every aspect compared to Airnet.
Sounds like they can't supply the bandwidth with the below news release....And not enforcing the 20GB limit from the startup of the company, with a user bandwidth controller, is their own fault, as per article......

http://ciaccess.com/modules.php?op=m...rder=0&thold=0

airNET Bandwidth Usage Notice
Dear airNET Customer,

We have been experiencing some speed issues on some sectors at various times during the day. Our research has shown that the biggest reason that this is happening is that there is a very small percentage of our customers (5%) who insist on downloading (and uploading) a very large amount of data - far exceeding the 20Gb limit allowed on airNET accounts.

In an effort to improve speed we have moved 15% of our customers off of our busiest sectors to some of our new sectors, but all this has achieved is allowing these heavy users to download even faster and still congest the available bandwidth.

This makes it very important that users do not exceed our 20 Gb download/upload limit. Usually these users are downloading movies/shows
and also leaving them on their computers for other users to upload. We intend to enforce our download limit against the users who abuse this limit and severely impact other users on the network.

You should be aware that downloading/uploading movies/shows is illegal in Canada. By default, most downloading programs make those downloads available for upload by other users. If you don't know how to turn off the upload please call our technical support.

We will soon have a program where you will be able to see (via a web page) how much bandwidth you are using month-to-date. When we get this running we will be charging $2/Gb for bandwidth used over 20Gb.

In the meantime we will be monitoring the bandwidth used and if a user reaches 20Gb we will be adjusting that user's profile so that
downloading and uploading will be set to 128K for the balance of the month. This will allow these users to retrieve emails and browse,
however at much slower speeds. We will advise these users by email when this happens.

Please be aware that 95% of our users never approach this limit so the odds are very good that this does not apply to you, especially if you do not download movies/shows.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Chatham Internet Access

Click here to get airNET™ for Home!
General
Downstream 2.2 Mb
Upstream 300 Kb
Included Usage (Monthly) 20 Gb
Connection Time Unlimited
E-Mail Accounts 5
Radio Installation $150
Radio Rental (Monthly) $20
airNET™ Service (Monthly) $25

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 07-10-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 PM

These guys (AIrnet) are truly horrible, after countless calls, we had their technician onsite, he determined that the reason we had slow internet access was because the one computer he saw had a toolbar add in and blamed that (laptop that is rarely connected to network) 330/100 service, on the rare occasion it will peak at 1300/300 (very rare)
Old 07-11-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfjd View Post
These guys (AIrnet) are truly horrible, after countless calls, we had their technician onsite, he determined that the reason we had slow internet access was because the one computer he saw had a toolbar add in and blamed that (laptop that is rarely connected to network) 330/100 service, on the rare occasion it will peak at 1300/300 (very rare)
Heres a couple of links to screenshots of browser toolbar add-ons. This many will really slow you down(click on pic to enlarge).... But you have to just love tech support that is in denial of system problems.....

http://video.linux-noob.com/screensh...7/ie7mess1.jpg

http://video.linux-noob.com/screenshots/ie7/iemess2.jpg

http://blogs.collegiateschool.org/te...y_toolbars.jpg

Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 PM

Default Airnet Wireless VS. airNET

Airnet Wireless - airnet.ca from Northumberland County, Ontario

I now see that there is another Airnet out of Chatham that people say suck. I also see that their webside is ciaccess.com , they can't even get their name linked with their web site.

airnet.ca has been great for me for the past 5 or 6 years. They advertise up to 2 Mbps. I get that consistantly and during the day even faster. At night, between 5 and 7pm the speeds do slow down sometimes to 1Mbps. No problems running games except for the couple of hours of the slow period. They are a small ISP owned by a local family.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Angry We Need Government Regulation

I'm convinced CIAccess SUCKS and I haven't even subscribed to them. I tried to get their service and they told me I would have it in a month or 2. We kept contacting them and then after 6 months they said they were coming to install it. I told them to forget it because we already had another ISP.

Rogers SUCKS. I got an outdoor modem from them, hooked it up myself and the same day had a great 2mbps service that always ran at full speed. A little over a month later it went out. It turned out I was actually getting my service through the Chatham tower which is owned by Bell. After a week on the phone with Rogers tech support I figured out myself that was the problem (I'm an IT guy). Neither Rogers or Bell would ever admit that they made a mistake and when they found out, cut me off. So I figured since the speed was so good I would go with Bell (even though I already had many bad experiences with them with DSL).

Bell WiMax SUCKS. Of course Bell had to install the exact same modem that I had installed with Rogers (they won't let you do it yourself). For 1 month the service was great (full 2mbps). Then it started to suck. Eventually, it got to the point where it was 0mbps at times. Contacted their VP and complained. I new they were either throttling me or overloaded on the tower, but they would never admit that. They claimed my modem was only getting 1 light (even though it is always at 4 or 5).

Wonder who will SUCK next. Planning on switching Wireless Internet ISP's yet again, hope I finally find one that is decent. Better yet, why don't we all start a petition to the federal government to force them to regulate internet access in Canada (like phone service, gas service and hydro service). Trying to fight with large monopolistic companies on our own is just a losing battle!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 PM

Heres a Petition, with over 6,000 signatures to get rid of the current CRTC people. Probably meaning Bell and Rogers, former(?) Executives.

http://dissolvethecrtc.ca/

Will it help to get rid of them? Hell knows. But at least it gets some attention in this crappy Media we have in Canada.
Attention Media. If you get paid to do a story, it is called an Ad. And must be labeled as one, in the story somewhere. Oh you mean that law has not been passed yet? Oh well. Maybe next year.

And the link and some comments from http://www.dslreports.com
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/B...ovement-104394

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 09-10-2009 at 10:51 PM.