XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alderburn View Post
You know -- Xplornet is a division of an American company.
An American investment firm gives Xplornet money(at least as the initial investment). But the Barrett brothers of New Brunswick run Xplornet. The Barrett Brothers also have Florida real estate dealings.
http://barrettcorp.com/
Might you have any more names of companies funding Xplornet?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Default Response from an Xplornet customer care rep..

I am a customer care representative for Xplornet and I just have a few things to say..
In regards to your comments about us being "stoopid", uneducated hicks working for minimum wage, you really should get your facts straight.
Just like you should get them straight when it comes to your services and contracts.

First of all, I am very well educated, I graduated with good grades and even got a scholarship. I chose this job not because it was the only one I could get, I chose this job because they treat their employees very well and the pay is better than minimum wage.

Secondly, not everyone is perfect, and we can't please everyone..sometimes, you are going to get a person who is having a rough day and brought it to work with them or someone who doesn't give the correct information.
But, any company you deal with, whether it be your internet company, phone company, someone at a retail store or a restaurant, you will come across people who will give you wrong information or will be having a bad day and taking it out on you. It really depends on the person you deal with, I have people who call and say they love us and that we are so helpful and kind, and others who have some more colorful terms for us.
I myself have dealt with Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Telus and I will say this is by far the best customer service you can receive (not only because I am an employee but because I can hear my co workers calls and see their notes on your accounts and know they try their best).
We will do what we can to help you, but as front line customer care..there is really only so much we can do before it goes to another department, and with so many requests, they do the best they can as well.

As for your contracts and being bound to them etc., I have read the Service agreement/contract that every one of you sign as a part of my training, all pertinent information is in there..if you choose not to read it because it's too lengthy, you cannot blame us for your laziness.
When your contract end date is coming to an end and we call you to offer better pricing, you ARE agreeing to a new contract, verbal agreements are binding.
The same thing happened to me with Rogers, I called to cancel and found out that when I signed up I verbally agreed to a 1 year contract, and even though they never said the words "contract" or "agreement" I knew that there was no fighting it. I chose to remain on my contract and did not accept any new offers.
This is not a scam, it is how any company you go with handles contract renewals.

Also as front line customer care, we get a lot of the complaints and swearing and name calling. I have worked for other call centers and it wasn't until a few months ago I got a woman here, first thing in the morning on a Saturday, calling me and idiot and saying I was worthless and useless. I handled the call and got her what she needed and got her calmed down. But after the call, I broke down. Keep in mind when you call, we know you're upset and frustrated and angry, but remember that it's stressful for us too, when we have people calling in and we are trying to explain and they are interrupting and screaming and calling us names, it does get to us.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplornetcustomercare View Post

When your contract end date is coming to an end and we call you to offer better pricing, you ARE agreeing to a new contract, verbal agreements are binding.
The same thing happened to me with Rogers, I called to cancel and found out that when I signed up I verbally agreed to a 1 year contract, and even though they never said the words "contract" or "agreement" I knew that there was no fighting it. I chose to remain on my contract and did not accept any new offers.
This is not a scam, it is how any company you go with handles contract renewals.
Actually depending on the customers particular Provinces consumer protection, a verbal contract without full notification is "not legal". As in, you call up to order a product and the company does not tell the customer that they will be put in a contract.
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forums/...isplay.php?f=7

Some Provinces/States have a "contract, cooling down period". So if Grandma gets sold an over priced vacuum or expensive home alarm system? Or even a product that is advertised as being able to do a certain something and it can barely do it. The contract can be canceled before roughly two weeks maximum.
I've read a few posts where people sign up for Internet via wireline and their area can not support the speeds promised and the Internet keeps cutting out, due to various factors. But Call support keeps quoting Contract for services,,,, that can never be achieved. Bell comes to mind as one of those companies. CBC Market place did a story on them. Selling DSL packages that the customer could never achieve, but the customer was still paying for the non-existent higher speed.

I've read many stories from the States where a company will automatically renew or extend a customers contract for any changes in the customers package, without notification of extension or contract renewal. The States Attorney General eventually fixes that issue.
Or companies will change a contract by a certain amount, that it can actually nullify the contract.

Some companies representatives will forget to mention to the customer that the customer just signed up for a contract via the call to order. Not legal. The consumer also needs to have a place to view the full contract before being put in that contract. Or even get emailed or snail mailed a contract. In the digital age, a secure webpage to click Yes or No.
Other companies will put, "Binding Arbitration" in a contract to settle disputes. Not legal either. The customer has the right to file legal action. WildBlue in the States had an Arbitrator clause. Unfortunately, he resided in WildBlue's office, so guess who he decided for 95% of the time. WildBlue still tries to convince the customer that all legal action must be physically done in WildBlue's home area. The customer can go to their local federal court house to file any legal action.

I just read a post about Hughesnet in the States and the customer has to click a user agreement on the first time modem setup screen. "Only the customer", it says and not the installer.

Some places assume that because you just used the service for the first time, that you are now in a binding contract. But did the customer even read the contract or where they ever shown the contract(website or in person). Some people have noted that they were never shown a contract by an installer and , oh look, they are now somehow in a three year contract. And no one has any hardcopy or digital copy of a customers signature on record for it.

Contracts are supposed to be 'mutual'. So if one side does not live up to the agreement then ??????????

I hate rants too. I like details. But some people do rant when being fed the same old line of, "It's the customers computer to blame". When sometimes it is actually the ISP system to blame. Whether that be DSL, Cable, satellite or wireless.

Xplornet could use a "Executive Customer Care" department, like with WildBlue and Hughesnet(In the States). If level one can't fix the issue, or even level two and three. Push it onto someone who can fix it or cancel the whole service. Posts about it are showing fairly good results with it.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 07-26-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I am a customer care representative for Xplornet and I just have a few things to say..
In regards to your comments about us being "stoopid", uneducated hicks working for minimum wage, you really should get your facts straight.
Just like you should get them straight when it comes to your services and contracts.

First of all, I am very well educated, I graduated with good grades and even got a scholarship. I chose this job not because it was the only one I could get, I chose this job because they treat their employees very well and the pay is better than minimum wage.

Secondly, not everyone is perfect, and we can't please everyone..sometimes, you are going to get a person who is having a rough day and brought it to work with them or someone who doesn't give the correct information.
But, any company you deal with, whether it be your internet company, phone company, someone at a retail store or a restaurant, you will come across people who will give you wrong information or will be having a bad day and taking it out on you. It really depends on the person you deal with, I have people who call and say they love us and that we are so helpful and kind, and others who have some more colorful terms for us.
I myself have dealt with Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Telus and I will say this is by far the best customer service you can receive (not only because I am an employee but because I can hear my co workers calls and see their notes on your accounts and know they try their best).
We will do what we can to help you, but as front line customer care..there is really only so much we can do before it goes to another department, and with so many requests, they do the best they can as well.

As for your contracts and being bound to them etc., I have read the Service agreement/contract that every one of you sign as a part of my training, all pertinent information is in there..if you choose not to read it because it's too lengthy, you cannot blame us for your laziness.

Also as front line customer care, we get a lot of the complaints and swearing and name calling. I have worked for other call centers and it wasn't until a few months ago I got a woman here, first thing in the morning on a Saturday, calling me and idiot and saying I was worthless and useless. I handled the call and got her what she needed and got her calmed down. But after the call, I broke down. Keep in mind when you call, we know you're upset and frustrated and angry, but remember that it's stressful for us too, when we have people calling in and we are trying to explain and they are interrupting and screaming and calling us names, it does get to us.
All I know is that when I called Customer Care, I got no help and no service. The speeds were extremely slow and I was never getting what I paid for. I would keep getting the run around every time I called. All I would be told is to do speed tests. I would do speed test after speed test and never got close to what I was paying for. No Customer Care personnel forwarded my problems to any other level to get the problem fixed.

For me, I was paying for 1.5Mbps plan but only got 40 to 60kbps. No Customer Care person would admit the system was bogged down, my antenna was aimed wrong, there was a problem with the installation or anything. The only "fix" they would do was ask me to do speed tests.

A couple Customer Care reps tried to sell me the higher package by enabling it and letting me see how "fast" the service was. This is what was done when I was on the 300k package. They showed me the 1.5M plan and I upgraded. The high speed lasted about a week and then my speed was cut again. No Customer Care rep could explain why the speed was so good when I signed up but died after about a week. Xplornet limits customers speed with their burst technology. High speed for less than 20 seconds and then you have nothing.

You may be proud of your job but Xplornet is a very poor provider with over exaggerated service. The price is way too high for what is provided. Over $50/mth for 60k to 80k is pathetic.

I am glad I have found a provider that actually has High Speed. I now have bandwidth limits but I can at least watch YouTube, update my computer in a few minutes not over night and just have some speed.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 PM

We offer a 30 day money back guarantee to all ouor customers..
No questions asked. There are no cancellation fees and all your money is refunded.
As for paying for speeds you were promised or that we advertise, if you look at the pricing on our website, say you choose the Xpress package it says right there speeds up to 3.0 Mbps, we do not guarantee speeds and do not ever say that you will get the highest speed advertised for you package. That is also in your contract.
As for the speed troubleshooting, you do need to do speed tests in order to determine if you are in the correct limits, then you call us back within 3 days with the results and if it is below what it should be, we send it up for further investigation.
Also, if you call ina nd tell us you are having speed issues or are out of service, we can credit you back for any day you called. As I said before, we do the best we can to help you but if you are out of service since Monday and don't call until Friday, we don't know that you were out of service, we have no proof, we're not mind readers.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
No questions asked. There are no cancellation fees and all your money is refunded.
As for paying for speeds you were promised or that we advertise, if you look at the pricing on our website, say you choose the Xpress package it says right there speeds up to 3.0 Mbps, we do not guarantee speeds and do not ever say that you will get the highest speed advertised for you package. That is also in your contract.
As for the speed troubleshooting, you do need to do speed tests in order to determine if you are in the correct limits, then you call us back within 3 days with the results and if it is below what it should be, we send it up for further investigation.
Also, if you call ina nd tell us you are having speed issues or are out of service, we can credit you back for any day you called. As I said before, we do the best we can to help you but if you are out of service since Monday and don't call until Friday, we don't know that you were out of service, we have no proof, we're not mind readers.
It is obvious you do work for Xplornet. Yes it does state "Up To" but any normal person would think the speeds would be reasonably close to what is advertised. Paying for 1.5Mbps (that's 1.5 million bits per second) and only getting 60kbps (That's 60 thousand bits per second) is pathetic. That is not high speed as advertised. It is not the 1.5Mbps I was paying for.

They have the 30 day money back but when I signed up, there was no other provider available where I live except dialup. The money back did not cover the installation fee either. We really didn't have a choice if we wanted Internet that did not tie up our phone line. Now Bell and Rogers have their Hubs, the local stores can not keep them in stock because of the high demand for them. All the local people with Xplornet are leaving because there's now an alternative and a far better service.

As far as doing speed tests, yes you do need to do them to find out the problem. I did them for 24 hours and did tests throughout the day. When I emailed the results, I was told they were obviously too low and to do another speed test over the next 24 hours. After going through this 3 times, I blew up at the Customer Care Rep on the phone. They admitted there was a problem but in the 2 years I was with Xplornet, they did absolutely nothing to fix the problem. It was when I phoned to cancel my service they said they would look at it and would try to fix the speed. Yeah right. Xplornet has no service and they do not know how to fix any problems because that would cost Xplornet money and they would have to admit their systems are old, outdated and are breaking down.

If you like your job with Xplornet, that's fine. I highly doubt you have Xplornet as you Internet provider because if you did, you would not be backing them up.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:49 AM

A thing to note, is that Xplornet did not publish it's throttling policies until about November 2009. So people bought per advertised speeds of 'up to' 3Mbps, which people would think means speeds stay in the 2Mbps to 3Mbps range. And a possible reduction in speeds from heavy use during peak times.
There are some older posts on here where 'higher up support' told the user that 1.7Mbps should be the lowest speed for the 3Mbps package.

The 3Mbps package, does not even stay above the 1.5Mbps package in regards to throttle speeds. So depending on surfing/downloading habits, 1.5Mbps could be the better choice to get.

Another post on here mentioned that the 'Zip' package of 300Kbps gets throttled to 100Kbps.

And I am guessing is the CRTC wants Xplornet to put the link to the throttling policy in the advertising/packages part of the webpage, where it says "up to". Otherwise all it is, is some small link at the bottom of the page, that many may not notice.
http://www.xplornet.com/legal/xplorn...nt-policy.aspx

Canada's broadband expansion program considers a minimum of 1.5Mbps to be considered broadband(which is defined as more than one signal sharing the same line).
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/719.nsf/eng/h_00001.html
Quote:
Broadband Canada: Connecting Rural Canadians
About the Program

The Broadband Program is an applications based program to make broadband service available to as many unserved and underserved households as possible. Broadband is defined as a minimum 1.5Mbps.

Comcast in the States now throttles 'heavy users' on 'congested nodes' at 'peak times'. Somewhat like the Telesat FAP policy of so many MB's per hour and then throttled back to dead slow, until the hourly reset. Comcast just reduces speed for heavy user, but Internet still has usable speeds.

Edit: and user "xplornetcustomercare" is shown to have registered with an IP from an unassigned lower IP , sandwiched in the Xplornet/barrett corp block of webpage/mail server IP's.
5 users have used that same IP to register, since Jan 14 2010 to july 28 2010.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 07-28-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 AM

Well, I do work for Xplornet but believe what you want, and fixing your problem wouldn't cost us money, we have plenty of people hired to go through the troubleshooting processes with our customers. Also, we only offer a 1 year warranty, unless you buy an extended one, meaning you would have to pay for any repairs outside that warranty or anything not included in it.
And as I said in my first post, I can't tell you that everyone that works there will be awesome and give you the correct info 100% of the time, that would be false advertisement.
But I know that myself and the people who work around me are very good at our jobs, our QA scores show it and the customers we speak with who give us good reviews show it.
Yes we do have some problems on some networks at some times of the day, but mot of our customers are getting the highest speeds for their package and are very please with the service.
It really depends who you get, and I apologize for those of you who have had a bad experience with one of the reps, but if they were really that bad you shouldn't worry because they probably aren't with us anymore.
As I've said, I myself have Rogers for a few services and I love them..but I have heard of many people who say they are terrible, because it depends on your mood when you call, the reps mood, the information provided and how you interperet that information
Old 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
But I know that myself and the people who work around me are very good at our jobs, our QA scores show it and the customers we speak with who give us good reviews show it.
Yes we do have some problems on some networks at some times of the day, but mot of our customers are getting the highest speeds for their package and are very please with the service.
I hope this is a joke. NONE of the Xplornet customers get even close to what we're ripped off monthly for. I pay for 3 mbps package and we experience outages 2-4 DAYS a week, and generally get about 40kbps-60

How can they get positive QA scores when customers wait and wait and wait to speak to an agent. AND THEN, the Tier1 agent goes through the "blame checklist" : your router, your wireless interference, your line-of-sight... once they've convinced the customer to cut the router loose (because Xplornet speeds are too slow to split 2-4 ways over a router)... then they close the call - great QA!!

do us a favor and spare us your rose-colored experiences from inside this INSANELY EVIL organization
Old 08-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I have called 4 times in a week and on one we went throufg the whole thing test from there with everything on then everything off then with and without the router.Then we tried direct to my new win7 computer thento the 4yr. old XP.The readings were lso low I couldn't get on the internet at all or MSN, but she siad my Win7 is eating up the internet so it is my problem.I wonder why the XPreacted the same.I wishI had the tech. nohow to disput .