XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Sad thing is you are correct..HOWEVER, there always is the possibility that things could change.. In Ontario, Hydro One has the money and the ability to create a network, they have already started... it it up to US to convince them that the NEXT step is viable and profitable for them. And rather than run roughshod over existing providers.. they lease or buy them out... to be honest having a sort of crown corp. running wireless is 1000 times better than barret...to me barrett = AIG... a stupid dumbass company ripping people off... the proof is within this website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
Read it all and would to throw in my 2c CAD (oops that don't amount to much Euro).
To date Hydro Utilities Have Not convinced their controlling Auth. that they can deliver internet and read meters at the same time.
Please undertand the purpose of the "connection" is to read your meter - period.
Yes, they do not have a tremendous amount of Bandwidth on the 900 mhz freq. (as per my SA pointed at my meter).
The losers who sold the system to the Utilities were not interested in your problem about high speed internet (Slightly better sharks (if that is true ;-) in the rural communities.

P.S.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
If you have a Local ISP in your community support them no matter how much they suck, at the end of the day, they are the only ones who really care about you.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Got an interesting PM from a member who was having difficulties with his 900 MHz SM...

Thanks for the offer Mike
The installer returned and has replaced the 900 mhz with a 3.5. Claims smart meters are causing problems. Didn't even look at the canopy settings before he took it down and put the new one up.

So maybe Xplornet is already having difficulties with the Smart Meter's... so if you are having ANY problems with speed or connectivity, call and say it's probably your new smart meter causing all the problems and would they swap your old one out?? Or let you out of the contract, if thats what you want, because Xplornet can't provide or maintain the service?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:06 PM

I have xplornet coming tomorrow to look into changing my 900 unit to a higher one because of interference with the new hydro and water meters.
Sounds like it may be at their expense too. I will post again tomorrow after they leave. I'm hoping they change it so I can up my package to the 5MB service instead of 3.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 PM

How does the 2.4Ghz smart meter interfere with a 900 Mhz SM. Got me on that one. I have 6 900 Mhz SM installed right across from the pole mount Smart Meter AP or whatever it is. No problems for me.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Not too technically inclined on this one, but I'm guessing the meter can channel surf...and thus create interference...I doubt they would have created a fixed channel for the meters.. thus the 2.4 would be scanning for approriate receiver.. whether or not that screws with the 900 mhz is up to a tech to decide... another user has already mentioned that xplornet is FINALLY recognising this and puttting people on 3.5 channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
How does the 2.4Ghz smart meter interfere with a 900 Mhz SM. Got me on that one. I have 6 900 Mhz SM installed right across from the pole mount Smart Meter AP or whatever it is. No problems for me.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 AM

When the tech came to my house, they tweaked the orientation of the unit to get a better signal. It was apparantly running at 86%. After they moved it a bit, it is now at 97%. He also locked in the frequency at 906 instead of allowing it to change between 906 and 924. I am to get back to them next week and let them know if I see any changes.

As far as the smart meter goes, I was told by the xplornet call center that they run in the 900 range. Maybe there are different kinds. Interstingly enough, the tech that came to my house said that he had installed many of the new 2.4 and 5 models very close to my home and they have had nothing but problems and had all been switched back to the 900 units.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM

http://www.hydroonenetworks.com/en/c...ort_on_RFE.pdf

Here is the HydroOne docs on the meters. According to this the Smartmeters use 2.4Ghz to talk to the Access Point then 900Mhz or 1.9Ghz (cellular) for the backhaul.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 AM

Default hydro and internet

I still think that Hydro should keep their mind on their own field and get that right first. Did anyone hear about how Hydro connections under Toronto streets are zapping people and killing dogs? There are also many places that Hydro can't keep reliable service to. That should be their priority first.

Another point that should be thought about is the extra dirty power we will have if Hydro starts doing massive amounts of data. We will all have to run all of our electrical devices through power cleaners first! That will be fun.

We should support our local ISP's first because they are the ones who care about our connection in the end.