XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 AM

So, basically theres nothing i can do, except deal with there stupididty?

What if i tryed a higher connection speed?

Thanks, Nick
Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
So, basically theres nothing i can do, except deal with there stupididty?

What if i tryed a higher connection speed?

Thanks, Nick
Trying a higher speed package could be a waste of money(So many ISP's with bad speeds, all over, hook people in to paying more for what ends up being the same speeds/connection conditions). Asking for a test of a static IP for 10 bucks a month might help or even disabling your NAT in your SM.
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forums/...read.php?t=214
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM

I already tried the static ip, it helped. But didnt fix the problem.
The next package includes the static ip, MORE bandwidth, and supposedly a higher speed.

Sounds like it could be worth it.
Do you think so?
Old 06-13-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I already tried the static ip, it helped. But didnt fix the problem.
The next package includes the static ip, MORE bandwidth, and supposedly a higher speed.

Sounds like it could be worth it.
Do you think so?
When things work good, do a ping test to google.com and do a test at the unstable time. Ping google.com -t .The -t will give you a longer ping list.

Then also do a speed test at both times.
http://www.testmy.net/speedtest/download_speedtest.php
Try the 3MB or 6MB test.

And using this basic information, you can see if your speeds are near your 'up to' package rate.. And it may also show with the pings(lost packets) if the Tower is choking on all the users on it, at the time.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM

I'm new to this wireless stuff as I haven't even got it yet. I live in Nova Scotia and Eastlink has just signed an agreement to with NS gov't to supply all unserviced areas with a comparable, effecient and suitable type of high speed internet by the end of 2009. We are being told it will be wireless broadband using existing towers and in areas that they need to, they will be adding more towers or poles to supply internet. As far as I can tell i'm about 4 miles away from a tower I think they would try to use. I have found very little info regarding wireless and how it is for gaming (FPS games) and dloading. What is a static IP address, how does it make gaming better? Does anyone have wireless technology from Eastlink? Can someone give me some info because i'd like to know what i'm getting into before I get this when it's available. I jumped into the Xplornet satellite trap and have been kicking my a** ever since. I only have less than 2 months to suffer that out tho.

Last edited by brokersdad : 07-02-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Administrator

I am at over 5 miles wireless from my tower, and have played many online games...with my son playing a different online game connected wireless/wired through a router at first with not much problem. That is until xplornet kept selling its wireless connection and not upgrading the equipment or bandwidth to match the ever increasing number of users.
That is the main reason I started this site.. the wireless hardware works, canopy works... but when you get greedy and skimp on supplying the ACTUAL bandwidth you advertise to people and they expect... at any time... its a business decision xplornet made, to SQUEEEZE the most bandwidth without themselves having to upgrade.... the most hard hit internet traffic time is between 3-11 PM EST and if you you only have a 10 MB pipe and have promised people 3-5 mb speeds, it only takes anything above 2-3 people to degrade your speeds...

Xplornet has, because of this site, had to change its contract terms because they have consistently broken major terms.. and still doesn't under stand BASIC legal language

see here http://www.xplornet.com/legal.php?id=2....read paragraph # 4 where it states you are " 4. USE OF SERVICE: You are prohibited from using the Service and shall use reasonable efforts to ensure the Service is not used for a purpose or in a manner that is contrary to laws including, without limitation, all copyright, trademark and obscenity laws applicable to any content or information transmitted via the Service."

If you are prohibited from using the service... then you are prohibited from paying them to use the service, or else you would be in violation of the contract!!!! Whether or not you continue to use the service without paying them like I have for the last 3 months is up to a judge to decide whether or not the "contract" really has any legs to stand on. I understand "legalise" pretty well.. but when I pay for something that says "I am prohibited from using the service"... not paying xplornet seems like a no brainer... and xplornet COULD be sued for operating a PONZI type scheme where they sign everybody up for a specific service plan but "THEIR OUT" is this paragraph # 4 clause......

I'm calling their bluff and not paying after years of problems, lies, misrepresentations and am awaiting them to either, cut me off and sue me for not paying my bill... so I can counter sue..which I would take to a class action status.

Your biggest concern is the legal aspect of ANY contract you sign, or think, or told, you have signed!!!!!!!

If the Boys want to play in my sandbox..... be prepared for a fight, if you don't play FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokersdad View Post
I'm new to this wireless stuff as I haven't even got it yet. I live in Nova Scotia and Eastlink has just signed an agreement to with NS gov't to supply all unserviced areas with a comparable, effecient and suitable type of high speed internet by the end of 2009. We are being told it will be wireless broadband using existing towers and in areas that they need to, they will be adding more towers or poles to supply internet. As far as I can tell i'm about 4 miles away from a tower I think they would try to use. I have found very little info regarding wireless and how it is for gaming (FPS games) and dloading. What is a static IP address, how does it make gaming better? Does anyone have wireless technology from Eastlink? Can someone give me some info because i'd like to know what i'm getting into before I get this when it's available. I jumped into the Xplornet satellite trap and have been kicking my a** ever since. I only have less than 2 months to suffer that out tho.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokersdad View Post
http://www.eastlink.ca/internet/ruralwireless/
http://www.gov.ns.ca/econ/broadband/
Going to cover all of Nova Scotia according to the maps.
And a static IP is preferred, depending on how the wireless network is administered. Some users try to do downloads from certain sites with a shared IP and get told to come back later, as their IP is already downloading at the site.

What Does NAT Do?
NAT is like the receptionist in a large office. Let's say you have left instructions with the receptionist not to forward any calls to you unless you request it. Later on, you call a potential client and leave a message for that client to call you back. You tell the receptionist that you are expecting a call from this client and to put her through.
The client calls the main number to your office, which is the only number the client knows. When the client tells the receptionist that she is looking for you, the receptionist checks a lookup table that matches your name with your extension. The receptionist knows that you requested this call, and therefore forwards the caller to your extension.

And a link to the Xbox site with another explanation.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co...on-testnat.htm
Devices that perform strict or moderate NAT can limit the ability of gamers to find each other, participate in sessions, or hear each other on Xbox Live.
Or your packets may get lost due to many users waiting for routing(shared IP), as opposed to a static IP, which should have a straighter line to the game.
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat.htm
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 AM

i have a ps3... will it work with static ip/ or does it not need it?
i cant play any games
Nat: Failed
company: well thats obvious
Router: D-link wbr1310
games: ps3/wii- ssbb, mgs4, cod4

xplornet also says i actuall do have static... is there any way to tell?

and what should i do?

i wanna start gaming!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer View Post
i have a ps3... will it work with static ip/ or does it not need it?
i cant play any games
Nat: Failed
company: well thats obvious
Router: D-link wbr1310
games: ps3/wii- ssbb, mgs4, cod4

xplornet also says i actuall do have static... is there any way to tell?

and what should i do?

i wanna start gaming!
Have you tried disabling your NAT in the SM? That is the biggest f*ckup that is screwing connections for applications. People all over North America adjust what they can in there, to provide a more stable connection in some cases.
Change the password after re-setting and write it down.

And it looks(80% sure) like you have a static IP to me. But I go by the last two sets of numbers ,if they are higher numbers, that usually gets assigned as static IP's. But Xplornet would be charging you $10 a month for a static, unless you were a Storm customer who negotiated a better non-contract for the provider transfer.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 07-09-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplornetsuck View Post
Have you tried disabling your NAT in the SM? That is the biggest f*ckup that is screwing connections for applications. People all over North America adjust what they can in there, to provide a more stable connection in some cases.
Change the password after re-setting and write it down.

And it looks(80% sure) like you have a static IP to me. But I go by the last two sets of numbers ,if they are higher numbers, that usually gets assigned as static IP's. But Xplornet would be charging you $10 a month for a static, unless you were a Storm customer who negotiated a better non-contract for the provider transfer.
so i should follow the instructions on blogspot http://23core.blogspot.com/2007/09/m...g-default.html rite...

and do we hack and change it on the comp then? (srry im a noob that is used to DSL in another house)