XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Linux Member

Default Goodbye, Rogers

I've had it with Rogers.

Up until now the service has been ok, if a tad expensive. My wife and I typically use 6 to 7.5 GB a month, which bumps us up above the 5 GB threshold to the 10 GB plan, costing about $80 a month. We only exceeded that one month, when we had a visitor last year who was a heavy Internet user, and he bumped us up to the next bracket (10-15 GB).

A week ago, I got our monthly bill: $660.

I immediately called customer service, who said that we had used 67 GB last month. I explained that that wasn't possible, as we weren't doing anything differently. We don't game, or watch Netflix, or run torrents. The wireless access to our router is password-protected, and we have only two neighbors, the nearest being some 200 metres away. We both use Linux so we're clean from viruses.

One of the support people said it was "a bit fishy" that they were showing exactly the same usage -- to the kilobyte -- on several different days. Another read out to me a day-by-day breakdown of our usage, which showed usage on days we were away (and the hub shut down), and no usage on days we were home (and I sent and received emails). Still another rep said that the second rep should not have given me those numbers, and said that Rogers cannot tell me what our daily usage was (this would be important in tracking down the problem, if the problem were at our end). After three solid hours on the phone with five different reps, all we had was (a) they couldn't tell us what our usage was, (b) they couldn't find any problem with their system, (c) they had to go by the 67 GB total, and (d) they offered a $50 courtesy credit on the account.

Well, to hell with that. I called Xplornet to find out if we could reactivate our old Kazam dish (still installed). After chatting with the sales rep -- that's another story -- I decided to get the new 4G satellite instead.

The next day we got a call back from Rogers customer service. They were still investigating the problem, but they offered us a $500 credit on the account, which (with taxes) brought our bill down to something like $105. No other explanation. I accepted it.

What I've decided I won't accept:
1. First and foremost, I won't accept a provider that has an "open ended" (unlimited) billing for overages. Especially when they provide no warning.
2. I won't accept a provider that bills me for usage, but can't tell me what that usage was.
3. I won't accept a provider that can make a colossal billing error, can't find the source of the error, and won't explain it.
4. I won't accept my credit card balance being at the goodwill of their customer service department, the next time this happens.

Yes, Xplornet satellite is slow. The FAP is annoying. Customer service is sometimes frustrating. But they have never ripped me off when I let them bill to my credit card...and suddenly that is very important to me.

Last edited by Brad R : 06-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Linux Member

So, I called Rogers today to cancel our service. I'd stayed subscribed until the 11th in case we decided to cancel Xplornet, and since our billing cycle ends on the 24th, I figured there wasn't any benefit to cancelling before today -- we had already paid through July 24th. (A month for which we recorded zero bytes of usage.)

Since our two-year term wasn't up, I knew there would be an early cancellation penalty, roughly $120, to cover the cost of the modem. But I should have known that pack of thieves would have another "gotcha." It seems they require 30 days notice of a cancellation, so they're going to charge me for service through August 21st. Even though I haven't used the service at all for the last 30-plus days, and won't use it for the next 30.

It just reinforces my opinion that I'm glad to be away from Rogers....even if I have to put up with satellite Internet service.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:23 PM

HI Brad,

With my experiences this past year or so, I would be veeeeery wary of Xplornet and their accounting. You would be well advised to get the names of senior people for any troubles you will experience later on. That way you will hopefully bypass the devious customer service reps.
For me, nothing in writing from Xplornet is a red flag when troubleshooting or sorting out problems. If you do have to write to them, send your communication registered mail - Xplornet just ignores ordinary letters has been my experience.

Good luck with the new contract - hope your service is good.

wd40
Old 08-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Linux Member

The service has been just barely tolerable. I'd heard about people experiencing slowdowns after their 30 day evaluation period had expired; but this is the first time I've seen it firsthand.

That said, the last few days have been a little bit better. I'll have to post some updated speed tests to the Echostar 17 discussion.

I'd say we've jumped out of the fire, back into the frying pan.