XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Hughesnet Echostar 17(Jupiter1/Gen4) Satellite Forum * (2012 satellite) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM

Default Bit the bullet

I decided to call in today and sign up for service that will begin in the fall. I am just waiting for a call back to confirm... Hope all goes well I am looking forward to lower ping times (Since I am 15 miles from the tower, my ping times can approach 3000ms and Packet loss close to 70% during peak hours) Being able to actually watch Netflix will also be nice.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Linux Member

Good luck. I'll be curious to hear how well that works for you.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 PM

I just heard back that Xplornet and the NB government are working out a new program to push 4g satallite out in NB. Nothing is official yet, however here are some details I have learned from someone I know who works there. Please note these details will likely change

1. No install cost on a 3 year contract
2. 49 dollar for a 2 year contract
3. For residential three levels of service - Essential (1.5Mpbs, Unlimited use) Advantage (3 Mpbd. 20gb cap) and Performance (5Mpbs, 30GB cap) 3.50 - 2.50 per GB of overage. The one detail I don't buy is the unlimited use on the Essential package - does not make sense to me, but I will wait and see when its announced officially.

I am personally interested in the Business package for the higher Bandwidth allowance (3mpbs and 80GB for 95 dollars a month) but I have no details on the business package. In either case, I am looking forward to sub 3000ms ping times
Old 07-27-2012, 01:45 AM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ca View Post
The one detail I don't buy is the unlimited use on the Essential package - does not make sense to me, but I will wait and see when its announced officially.
Probably same thing as the Cellular data providers do in the States. Soft throttle after a certain amount of GB's. One nice thing is no overage fee, but the shitty part is if not enough GB's to start with, before throttle.
It does help if the provider actually mentions 'throttle to 'x'Kbps past a certain GBs' in the fine print or the ads. But people love to play support roulette until support tells em why so slow.

Google has fiber to homes in Kansas city. 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up for free for 7 years, with only an install cost.
http://fiber.google.com/plans/residential/

https://secure.dslreports.com/showne...e-Fiber-120537
Quote:
I assume that monitoring and selling your entire home's connectivity and usage data to interested parties comes free of charge.
also known as 'aggregated user data'.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Here is an idea of what my connection is like. Granted, I am 15 miles away from the tower, but I only get results like this half the time, usually during peak hours (Although this kind of speed is rare in the morning - I Just happen to be working from home today)

This will give you an idea why I am actually looking forward to echostar XVII -as long as it works as expected that is

DOWNLOAD SPEED
0.15Mbps

UPLOAD SPEED
0.08Mbps

PACKET LOSS
16%

LATENCY
3172ms

JITTER
56ms

Your Mean Opinion Score (MOS) is 1.00. The quality of your broadband connection and projected line quality is Poor.