XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Linux Member

Default First experiences with Rocket Hub

Well, off to a "rocky" start (pun intended). The hub installed with no problem, and after I checked it with a standalone PC I connected it to our router, which worked immediately. That's all good.

But, twenty minutes after connecting it to the router -- roughly 40 minutes after first powering up the hub -- we had a five minute service outage. The status page on the hub said everything was OK, but we had no Internet connectivity at all. This corrected itself, just as I was calling our local store to get a tech support number.

And, I've been trying to register at rogers.com so I can monitor our usage, and all afternoon I've been getting "sorry, that service is temporarily unavailable." Unimpressive.

About 10 minutes ago I did my first testmy.net test with the new modem:
Download :: 1.9 Mbps 240 kB/s Upload :: 286 Kbps 36 kB/s
That's roughly comparable to the data rate we were getting with the Everus system (at one point we seemed to be getting 3 Mbps service even though we had the 1.5 Mbps package). But this is prime time...I'll test again in the early morning hours.

So far this seems to be an acceptable substitute. Speed is ok; reliability is now the question.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 PM

I plan to deploy Rogers HSPA+ to 4 locations in Halifax as a fail over internet link. I am interested to know how reliable the service will be day to day. Testing I have done shows speeds are pretty good, but I have not used it long term.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Linux Member

I'll try to keep you advised re. reliability. I haven't noticed any more outages since yesterday, but the true test will be when my wife starts using the system.

I did have one problem this morning, and it wasn't due to Rogers. I went to one of the webcomics I read with my morning coffee, and was rudely informed that it had been blocked. Turns out it was blocked by OpenDNS, not Rogers. Evidently a previous user of this IP address thought it was offensive or something (I'd say it's a PG rating). The problem is, I went to OpenDNS to remove the block, and they told me my IP address is already assigned to a different user. (Like they can't see the IP address in my request?)

For the time being, I've disabled OpenDNS and switched to the Rogers DNS.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 PM

That is an interesting issue with OpenDNS. I am familiar with them, we use it as a web filter to prevent staff from browsing the web (White list only option) It is very effective. Have not ran into an issue like you had, but I could see that happening

At home I use a service from DynDNS called "Internet Guide". It works well at blocking undesirable sites at home, and since I use DynDNS anyways, it integrated well for me.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Linux Member

It took about five hours, but I heard back from OpenDNS, and after two tries they were able to give me control of the IP address.

Meh. My only reasons for using OpenDNS were (a) suspicion that Xplornet's DNS was blocking some web sites, and (b) knowledge that Xplornet's DNS had a major unpatched security flaw. The Rogers DNS checks out ok, so I'm happy to use it.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Linux Member

I haven't tried at 3 am yet, but here's a testmy.net speed test from 6:45 am today:
Download :: 2.8 Mbps 362 kB/s Upload :: 399 Kbps 50 kB/s

I noticed (via the speed indicator on my browser) that late yesterday afternoon, and into the early evening, download speeds got really slow -- roughly 10 to 20 KB/s (80 to 160 Kbps). I'm guessing that's a heavy load period for Rogers. Perhaps I should have run a speed test then, as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Are you a voip user by chance? I would be interested to see how well a voip call would work. Would you be able to run this speed test and let me know the results during the next peak time?

http://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/
Old 07-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Linux Member

Here's megapath at 4:46 pm:
Download Speed 1.01Mbps Upload Speed 0.57Mbps
(the latency wasn't reported because I have Java disabled)

And here's testmy.net at 4:49 pm:
Download :: 516 Kbps 65 kB/s Upload :: 109 Kbps 14 kB/s

Here's a testmy.net retest at 4:50 pm:
Download :: 724 Kbps 91 kB/s Upload :: 146 Kbps 18 kB/s
Old 07-28-2012, 04:46 AM
Linux Member

Well, here I am up at 4:45 am, so I thought I'd give testmy.net another try:
Download :: 3.8 Mbps 490 kB/s Upload :: 454 Kbps 57 kB/s

Still not seeing that 7 Mbps peak that Rogers is advertising, but 3.8 down is quite acceptable for our needs. And it's pretty clear that slowdowns are due to congestion, not my equipment.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Linux Member

Yeesh. I don't know what happened, but speeds have been at a crawl all morning:
Download :: 51 Kbps 6 kB/s Upload :: 28 Kbps 4 kB/s

I see that our status page is now reporting "Medium" signal strength (-91 dBm) instead of the previous "High" (-85 dBm)...damned if I know why. I haven't moved the hub.