XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Linux Member

Well, hooray -- I got a call yesterday from the guy who's going to do the installation, and it's scheduled for Monday afternoon (July 23).
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Linux Member

Well, drat. The installer came today, on schedule, climbed the tower with the new transceiver...and promptly informed me that there wasn't enough signal for a wireless connection. His best guess, based on other installs in this area, is that when they installed the new hardware at my local access point, they aimed the antenna slightly more west -- so now there is no access point with an antenna pointing my way.

The local dealer will happily switch me back to Xplornet satellite. I think not. Plan B is to switch to Rogers. I'm going to pick up a Rocket Hub tomorrow; the store tells me there's a 15-day money-back guarantee (though I do have to pay for the Internet service I use during the 15 days).

I've also discovered that Bell has put up a new cellular tower only a few km away. That's plan C.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 PM

Well that sucks.

I wish that :

a) I had Canadian cell coverage at home and
b) My family would use under 30gb a month

I would love to switch to Bell HSPA+ or even Verizon CDMA.

I am making plans, however to go back to Satellite (On Echostar 17) this fall.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place we are.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Linux Member

Well, I picked up a Rocket Hub late yesterday, but didn't have time to install it last night, so I just got it going this afternoon. A pretty easy install. I'll continue reporting over in the Rogers sub-forum; right now all I can say is it seems (subjectively) a bit faster than the Everus wireless.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Linux Member

One downside to the Rocket Hub is that, with a stepped pricing plan, I'm going to be reluctant to download Linux ISOs -- 0.7 GB might be just enough to bump me up into the next price bracket. Whereas with the Everus system, we had a single cap that was high enough (15GB) that a single ISO wouldn't be likely to push me over the top.

So, I'm using our final 48 hours of Everus service to download as many current Linux ISOs as I can onto my laptop, which I've connected directly to the Everus modem. And this doesn't interfere with our desktops, which are using the Rogers Hub.

I may not go out in a blaze of glory, but I can go out in a blizzard of data.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Hi Brad,

Not sure if things are like this still with the Rogers/Bell/Telus hubs but I recall a user saying that once they used more then 75MB within the 15-day trial period the fine print of the their service agreement locked them into a 2 year contract regardless of being within the trial period.

I could be wrong but I thought it would be worth the mention
Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Linux Member

I was told that we could return the Rogers equipment (in like-new condition) after 15 days and cancel the contract, but that we'd have to pay for the bandwidth used during the trial period.

It's academic, though. Rogers is working well enough that we're going to stay with it. It's either that or go back to satellite.