XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Linux Member

Default Everus service being discontinued

Well, it's a good thing that I called to inquire about the letter I received from Xplornet a few weeks ago. Because it's not our Telesat Ka satellite service that's being terminated, it's our Everus fixed wireless service. I was told that all Everus customers in this area are being cut off, in four stages; our cutoff date is July 15th.

Ironically, our three-year contract ends on June 16th.

I've been told that we may be in the service area for their Wimax service, but they can't tell without a site survey. Swell guys that they are, they'll do the site survey at no charge if I sign up for their Wimax service. The rep told me that if they do the survey, and they can't provide Wimax service, there's no charge -- in other words, I'm not obligated to sign up for their 4G satellite service if they can't provide Wimax.

I'm starting to think this is time to jump ship. My options appear to be:

a) take Xplornet Wimax, for a 2 or 3 year term, if it's available
b) take Xplornet 4G satellite, for a 2 or 3 year term
c) reactivate our Telesat Ka satellite service, month-to-month
d) get a Rogers Hub

For option (a), and I think (b), Xplornet will waive the $150 installation charge if I sign up for three years, and charge only $99 if I sign up for two. Needless to say, I view signing any contract with Xplornet about as cheerfully as I would view an impending execution. Yet, it may be the best of a bad set of alternatives. If I can get Wimax service, it's $45/mo for 1.5 Mbit, 10GB cap, or $50/mo for 3 Mbit, 20 GB cap. I need to check the current Rogers plan.

Damnation! Why do I have to change Internet providers every two to three years?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Linux Member

Well, Heaven help me, we're staying with Xplornet.

I've pretty much ruled out going back to satellite if there's anything else available (other than keeping satellite as an emergency backup). So that narrows it down to Xplornet vs. Rogers. We also appear to be in the service area for Bell cellular, but the prices and plans for the Bell hub are identical to Rogers, and I can see the Rogers tower from my front yard, so there's no advantage to Bell.

Xplornet Wimax plans in our area:
$45/mo, 1.5 Mbps, 20 GB cap
$55/mo, 3.0 Mbps, 30 GB cap
installation $0 for 3-year contract, $99 for 2-year contract

Rogers Rocket Hub:
$47/mo, "up to" 7.2 Mbps, 3 GB cap
$57/mo, 5 GB cap
$72/mo, 10 GB cap
$92/mo, 15 GB cap
installation (equipment) $100 for 2-year contract, $275 for no contract

The kicker is the cap. The last time I checked, we reliably use at least 6 GB per month...and it's probably gone up since then. That puts us into the $72/mo plan for Rogers, possibly bumping into $92. And frankly, what I've heard about Rogers performance and customer service sounds no better than Xplornet.

Yes, I'll probably opt for the 3-year contract. We've been putting up with satellite and wireless service for seven years now, waiting for more options, and still the only options are Xplornet, Rogers, and Bell. I spent some time checking out other providers nearby, and it doesn't look like anyone is expanding their service into our area in the foreseeable future. (We took Xplornet satellite for a 2-year term because we knew Everus was expanding into our area; there's no such prospect now.)

It turns out their Wimax access point is on the same tower as our current Everus access point. So what it boils down to is that we're going to get an equipment change (new wireless unit) and a three-year contract extension. I've got my fingers crossed that the new hardware will work at least as well as our existing 3.5 GHz hardware. And at least the tech support is "the devil I know"...though it might improve a bit, since Xplornet has never been able to properly support the hardware they acquired from Everus.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 PM

on the technical end yes, they are a lot better at troubleshooting wiimax than they are with everus, only a handful of the people on their side are good at dealing with everus since its not their equipment, it depends on who happens to answer then phone when you call.

if the tower is the same then for sure you will be able to get it, the signal strength is better on the new equipment than it was on the everus equipment, so unless you were barely managing any connection at all on everus you will be fine.

the changes which may or may not effect you, Dynamic IP instead of static ip, lower upload speeds, and bandwidth caps
Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Linux Member

Thanks for the info! Dynamic IP shouldn't be a problem; we had that before with our satellite service. Upload speeds also shouldn't be an issue, unless they're really slow.

The bandwidth caps may be a problem -- it depends if they're as bad as they were reported with Xplornet's 2.4 GHz Motorola gear. On the Everus hardware, since we switched from business grade service to residential, we've noticed some lower speeds at busy times. Mildly annoying but not crippling. We can live with that. I think I should run some before and after speed tests, though...thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 PM

Angry New Customer - Courtesy of Ripnet

Hey guys - I'm new here and thought I'd share some pain with all of you.

I had a Ripnet account which, though I felt it was over priced at $80 per month with 3MB 80GB Up and 80GB down, I was by and large happy with it. about 3 weeks ago, every night at 9pm, my internet would drop to near unusable speeds. I'd call, leave a message after hearing that they were "experiencing interference"...Noone returned my calls until one day I was fed up and called the sales team and spoke to the sales rep for my account who then told me that the Ripnet wireless service is being phased out and I had to move to Xplornet.

I asked about the packages and was quoted a 7MB with 40GB of TOTAL data...for how much you ask? $80 per month. I nearly had kittens, told them to give their heads a shake and vowed to wait until until a better package came along. Well my connection got worse and more inconsistent - they finally told me they could put me on a 10MB connection with 100GB of data for $95...hardly what I wanted to pay but for the extra speed boost I contemplated it for a few days and pulled the trigger.

This past weekend the installer is over for 3hrs - when I asked him what was taking so long we went off on a tirade about the absolute "F..k'n incompetence of this Piece of sh!t company"... peachy...this is what I was afraid of. He then tells me that I can't get the 10MB connection and that I could only get 7.5 max. I thought nothing of it until yesterday when I considered.....so am I paying for 10MB 100GB or am I paying for 7.5? Well it took them nearly 2hrs to tell me that I was dropped as a courtesy to 7MB and 30 whopping GB of data for $75..Are you effing kidding me? So now I'm paying what? $20 a month less for a quarter of the service I had with Ripnet.

Now I've got this whole ordeal escalated via Ripnet (who didn't want to talk to me in the first place) because I'm being screwed by their package isn't what Ripnet has been authorized to offer me.

I hate this whole monopoly they have. I thought there were rules about this sort of thing.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:01 PM

we are having the same issues with Ripnet, and we moved tothem from Xplornet, so t here is no way on gods earth we will ever sign a contract with Xplornet again.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Linux Member

Well, the Keystone Kops of the Internet did it to me again.

Veterans of this board know that one of the keys to getting a working Xplornet installation is having a good installer. Our local Xplornet dealer is an installer I trust; they did our Xplornet satellite dish (no problems) and also our television dish. I've done business with them for years. So when I called Xplornet to sign up for the new "4G" service, I specified that I wanted them to do the install. No problem, they said.

Today, I got a call...from a different installer, saying they had received a work order from Xplornet to do our 4G wireless install. I told them, no offense, but I have a specific installer I requested and that I want to use.

So, another twenty-minute phone call to Xplornet to get the work order reissued to the installer I requested in the first place. With, of course, another two-week delay. If they screw it up again, I'm going to take my chances and go with Rogers.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Linux Member

Another round with the Keystone Kops.

It had been two weeks, and my local installer hadn't contacted me, so I called him to ask if he'd received a work order from Xplornet. He had not.

Back to Xplornet, where after a 13-minute hold, I was informed by the customer service person that a work order had been sent on the 27th of June. (For a phone call I made on the 15th of June.) When I asked, "was that sent to my installer on the 27th?" she told me no, it had been sent "to our department." For what, she didn't say. (I guess work orders are like high-level radioactive waste; they have to sit in a cooling pond for a few weeks, or something.) I imagine that order would have stayed in her department forever, if I hadn't called to inquire.

She told me the order would go out in 3 to 7 days. I told her it was supposed to have been sent out weeks ago. She put me on hold, I presume to consult a supervisor, and came back to tell me that the order would go out to my installer today and that I should hear from him tomorrow. (Just to be sure, I asked which installer it was going to, and she did name the correct installer.)

Stay tuned to this channel for the next thrilling episode of As the Molasses Flows.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 PM

What happened ? Did they come out or are you still waiting ?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Linux Member

I dropped in on my local installer, and yes, he did finally receive the work order, on Wednesday or Thursday (he couldn't remember offhand, and I didn't want to bother him to check). He's got a pretty full plate, so it may be a week or two before the work gets done. I'm a lot more confident now that he actually has received a work order....over five weeks after I told Xplornet I wanted the upgrade.