XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Default Sick of this Wireless BS

Well it's only been 2 years since my horrific dealing's with xplornet, and now new trouble with Rogers,

Our rogers motorola outdoor modem fried last week, to my surprise, rogers will NOT sell me a new one,

They did agree to sell me an indoor modem,

My brand new indoor modem which is wrapped in a plastic bag, is mounted on a 40' pole outside, and of coarse no lightning grounding, this thing is not going to last more then a week.

Rogers is now claiming I will never be able to replace my outdoor motorola modem, they also said they will phase out this portable system service, thanks rogers, for notifying us( I have many more choice words I could insert in front of rogers, but I am trying to remain calm)

Once I change all my @rogers.com email address's I will need a new service and hardware

My question is what is the best, fastest wireless (hardware and service)

I am open to any company Bell, Rogers, but not xplornet, which left a forever lasting bad experiance for me,

Located in Moffat Ontario

Thanks Mac
Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Good Luck .All company have there problem. Ya I hate xplornet too. Bell hub cost a lot. Rogers the same. So flip the coin.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Yes, heads I loose, tails I loose
it sure is a wacky world we live in

well I still cannot really get a straight answer from rogers, does anyone out there use this service from rogers? or know whats going on with it

http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/expand...t_hispeed.html
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Maybe??? If you are looking for a replacement. I see some of the "outdoor unit" links are kind of dead(redirects). You could google to contact the two places to see whats up or place an order if the units still exist.
Otherwise an indoor unit, with the option of an antenna with a cable long enough(without signal loss) to the top of your tower. And some type of lightning protection(ground block) as well would be needed for the cable.

http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/expand...e_int_buy.html
Quote:
Outdoor Modem

To get your Rogers Outdoor Modem call 1-888-Rogers1 or visit the following Retailers:
The Muskoka Store
2266 Hwy 11
Gravenhurst, Ontario
P1P1R1

The Georgian Bay Store
39 Pine Valley Rd
Port Severn
LOK 1S0
http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/expand...e_int_FAQ.html

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 04-05-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplornetsuck View Post
Maybe??? If you are looking for a replacement. I see some of the "outdoor unit" links are kind of dead(redirects). You could google to contact the two places to see whats up or place an order if the units still exist.
Otherwise an indoor unit, with the option of an antenna with a cable long enough(without signal loss) to the top of your tower. And some type of lightning protection(ground block) as well would be needed for the cable.

http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/expand...e_int_buy.html

http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/expand...e_int_FAQ.html

thanks, I contacted both of these rogers distributors, and both said they don't sell them any more, I guess rogers is serious about ending this service,
oh well, it's not very fast, and the reception for us is marginal,

I find these isp's are all crooks, when it comes to rural area coverage

they come in get the grants, sell the hardware, sell the crap service, and are not accountable to anyone but themselves, they really don't give a shit about anyone, what a nightmare
Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 PM

I have fiber line going across my laneway . Rogers own the line but i can not hook up to it. Need 5,000 dollars for hook up. Rogers hub and bell hub cost . My only option is xplornet. Just think how i feel.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorlack View Post
I have fiber line going across my laneway . Rogers own the line but i can not hook up to it. Need 5,000 dollars for hook up. Rogers hub and bell hub cost . My only option is xplornet. Just think how i feel.
You do know accidents can happen, and can be hidden enough times before they get the point...nothing like planting flowers or installing a sprinkler system... they ain't a essential service like gas or hydro where you need to call...!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorlack View Post
might be worthwhile for you to find out where the cable is and make sure it's NOT on your property

if they accidentally (hey you never know) put it on your property, you'd be in a very strong negotiating position to get free internet or make them move it, sue them for breaching your property, etc.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM

Default Tring to find an Internet provider

Hi,
I just moved to a town called Warburg, Alberta. I've been trying to get high speed internet. I had two choices xplornet and wild rose internet.

These are the two packages I was looking at:
XPLORNET:

They told me they had a package that allows up to 3 Mb ( or MB), 55$ per month and unlimited usage. They told me I should have 80% of the speed 80% of the time. They also told me they use their own "patented" technologies, and that it uses a different frequency.

Question one:
Is this true: they have their own frequency and that it's better?

WILD ROSE INTERNET:
Wild rose told me that they have 1,5 Mb ( MB) , 70$ per month 20 G. They run off the cell phone towers. 1 year contract.

So I took xplornet

They installed the antenna on the 29 of April. They guy who installed it ( at my request) performed a speed test ( speedtest.net) on his lap top. I saw with my own eyes that he could continious stream a video and that the speed gave a the following result 2,4 Mb ( MB). He did this on his lap top. I did not have my PC at the time.

Question two: Is it possible that he " did something un kosher" to get that result? The guy acted a little weird when he did the test. He seemed nervous. At the time I didn't think much of it, but today I think he may well have know that his service is not what xplornet claims it is.

May 20th or so, I got my computer, the first days where OK ( speed wise), but then my internet speed dropped significantly. I called them up to fix this problem. They made me do all kinds of adjustments to my settings. It still did not work. The best I ever got was 70,000 B (b). So I cancelled on the 27 of the next month. The technical department, flat out told that since everything look good on their end, that they could do nothing. I am lucky enough to have cancelled within my 30 day period.

So here I am trying to find another internet provider.

I am looking at the Hub from Rogers and I am looking at wild rose internet

Rogers:
They tech department told me that my area had poor 3 G coverage, and that it had decent 2 G coverage. They said that the 2 G coverage would allow me 350 K B ( B).

Question three:
Is that enough to stream videos?

They also said that they had an antenna to put outside

Question four:
Would that make receiving a 3G signal better? Would it be enough to allow me to always use the 3G network and not the 2G?

So what would you guys do: Rogersí or Wild rose?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 AM

HTML Code:
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
Check the link for Rogers towers near you. There is no scale on the map but I'm sure you have a good idea of the distances involved.

My guess on Wild rose Internet is they are using either Rogers or Telus towers and the towers are located in the same area. Call them and ask. At least they are indicating an honest range of speeds for their service.

Xplornet installers are in this game for the money only. They don't make any money on your sub, so if they have an honest bone in them, they would tell you up front the true speeds you would have been getting and you probably would have cancelled before the system was installed.

The speeds Rogers are quoting you are not enough for streaming and even the 3G Rocket Hub will be disappointing for streaming. It advertises 7.2 Mbps down and that won't happen. You'll probably see more of between 3 and 4 Mbps down and if your area is customer overloaded with this system the speeds drop to less than 1 Mpbs during the day. You will need an antenna but Rogers won't sell you one so why they say they have one is confusing. ( There is a post here from a supplier of this particular antenna which I purchased from them at an outrageous cost and their lame excuse was they have since started to sell a cheaper version - but without the antenna your signal will be weak due to the distance. I still recommend this company for the purchase of this antenna)

Unless your talking about Rogers other wireless system which does have a remote antenna for outside and a modem for inside. I did purchase this system and used it for one day. It kept dropping the signal and my closest tower was 1.5 km away. I'm unsure now whether this system is still 2G but the speeds were not that great (1.5 Mbps down)

So the best thing to do is try both providers. Rogers does offer a 15 day cancellation clause but read the fine print on what fees are returnable. With the Rogers Hub you will know within a day or two if it is what you want. ps- If you can choose the Ericsson model Hub over any other. It seems from posts at Rogers forum and around this hub has less heating problems. This is the one I have and it's 2 years old, always on and touch wood, no problems.

Last edited by ret : 06-06-2011 at 06:11 AM.