XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Default xplornet VOIP issues

Hey my first post. LOL

Well purchased VOIP from xploinet a few months ago, and noticed I was having a lot of disconnects. I pinged my router, modem and ATA adapter and found the issue was the ATA adapter. Xploitnet sent me a new adapter. Same issue. When I disconnect the ATA from the system and operate solely with the modem and/or router I get no disconnects. I tracked the pings on the ATA for a week and the results were astonishing. Every disconnect I had 12 packet losses in a row. The time stamp for each disconnect was the same time every day. For example, it would disconnect at 8:08 am and pm, also 8:42am and pm, again at 9:55am andpm, 10:20 am and pm,etc.

Tell xploitnet about it, it goes to network and they test, they see nothing wrong. To prove my point I call them on the phone for the 8:08 pm and 8:42 pm disconnects. (When on the phone and the packet losses occur, I lose phone service, they can hear me, but I can't hear them) They tell me they were surprised that the phone didnt disconnect. I hear some story that if I am talking it wont disconnect over the time of the packet loss, but you still lose the internet.

SO last call with them on it, they tell me since I live in the country it must be a farmers remote irrigation system interferring with the ATA adapter and because of that there is nothing they can do. What a load of crap!

Guess I will disconnect from xploitnet and find something that works. Anyone here anything about this Magic Jack?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM

Magic Jack has Canadian numbers now for an extra 10 Mine works great when on other internet service. It doesnt work so good on Xplornet. I am going to switch to something else in the next couple of weeks. Even Rogers hub looks better
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Why do you say MJ doesnt work well with xplornet? I got one last week and it is working fine.

Was hoping I would be able to keep the same number but they only have 613-699-xxxx numbers.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM

I have been on wireless internet for just over a year now and my Magic Jack works 99% perfect 99% of the time!!

But.... it's not Xplornet,..... it's ice.no !!!
$ 50 a month including all taxes, no set up fee, no extras, and 12 month contract with first 3 months free ---- that's GOOD service and a reasonable price. I can use it anywhere I like in all of Scandinavia, it's portable with battery and car charger.
Can use as many p/c's on it at a time, wired & wireless !!

Does Xplorenet or anything else come even close???????????????????

Last edited by Xplornet Pilot : 05-30-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 PM

Cool

I work for a wireless provider that uses the same motorola canopy equipment. I know the limitations of the subscriber modems, Access Points,Back hauls and switches that are commonly used for residential pop sites. The real bottle neck is the access point. If there are more than 45-50 subscribers on that AP, dont expect voip conversations to be clear. There are ways of trying to ensure voip traffic like setting quality of service levels on the subscriber radios and if a traffic management server is used such as the Canopy licenced BAM system, VOIP packets can be put in priority sequence before all other type packets in the datastream as long as the MAC address of that radio is coded for priority. I would not attempt to run voip on 900 mhz equipment unless there are less than 20 subscribers per AP.

I cant speak for xplornet if they implement VOIP qos in their fixed wireless but I heard that they do it for satellite.

We've used many makes and models of voip units in the past and the one we currently use is the linksys SPA 2102 voip router with two programmable ports and in/out router pass through. If installed in front of the client wireless router instead of behind, we find better reliability.

I dont know if xplornet resells any voip service or who they use. We use Galaxy and have found great results. I believe MCSnet uses them as well and have good results. A wireless provider that has good gateway connectivity to it's third party voip provider will have better voice traffic passthrough. We have plans to have a direct fiber link between us and them instead of having all voip traffic leave our gateway, travel through the "cloud" and into their gateway. This will lower latancy and improve stability.

The voip business has been a learning process for us and is slowly getting closer to utility grade, but were not quite there yet. Towers have power failures and get hit by lightning. The pitfalls of wireless.