XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Hydro One Smart meters
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default Ontario Time-of-Use Hacks !

Do not want to pay time of day usage on your new smart meter?? .. this simple "hack" will basically block your meter from being read on a time of day usage:

Materials needed...

8 inch round duct work and cap... duct cut to 10 inches in length
1 self tapping screw
approx 12 inch copper wire

Basically make a "cover" for your smart meter with the ductwork and cap, place this over your meter,

You can also try, the metal insulating duct "tape".. kind of more permanent, but may also do the trick!

This Post will be edited to add picture and to clarify my rants as needed!

screw a ground into your new cover with self tapping screw, attach copper wire to screw and ground to box around your hydro meter.

This should effectively shield your meter from being able to send any wireless signals to hydro "N"one.

I will post some pictures in the VERY near future..

So this isn't really a hack .. but it is a way to block your meter from sending out its wireless signals to record your time of day usage.. I know a simple no brainer fix... but considering the fact that I knew this technology would interfere with wireless canopy internet equipment, which I contacted both Hydro one and Xplornet about the conflict... no one answered.. then I contacted hydro one this past summer as they turned on these meters and found that not only did it interfere with my house's electronics.. LCD tvs changing channels, phones ringing... AND Xplornets wireless connections going wonky... AND my hydro bill almost doubling... I was told it would cost $200-300 for some one to check my meter...

So I took the initiative and bought a TED.. the energy detective device ($200 out of pocket).. to record my hydro usage and compare it to the meter... I installed the device on Oct 25th, 2010.... then on Nov 23, 2010 my meter was replaced without prior warning.. the hydro guy said it wasn't working properly.. so now I have spent $200 on a device to measure what I thought was a defective meter, that meter was removed for being defective.. So now, I have no way of proving that I overpaid on that meter since it was installed for over a year and a half.. ... so Hydro one.. welcome to PAY BACK BITCH big time.. you won't look into my concerns... well with this cover.. millions of people will not have to pay your time of day usage rates if you cant get the data now can you..

YOUR FUCKING welcome from a disgruntled and pissed off Hydro One customer... MERRY XMAS LOSERS!!!!

OH and Mr McGuinty... I emailed your office about this and asked you to contact me... meh.. your staff sucks...
Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplornetadmin View Post
Do not want to pay time of day usage on your new smart meter?? .. this simple "hack" will basically block your meter from being read on a time of day usage:

Materials needed...

1 self tapping screw

Basically make a "cover" for your smart meter with the ductwork and cap, place this over your meter,

You can also try, the metal insulating duct "tape".. kind of more permanent, but may also do the trick!

screw a ground into your new cover with self tapping screw, attach copper wire to screw and ground to box around your hydro meter.

This should effectively shield your meter from being able to send any wireless signals to hydro "N"one.

So this isn't really a hack .. but it is a way to block your meter from sending out its wireless signals to record your time of day usage.. I know a simple no brainer fix... but considering the fact that I knew this technology would interfere with wireless canopy internet equipment, which I contacted both Hydro one and Xplornet about the conflict... no one answered.. then I contacted hydro one this past summer as they turned on these meters and found that not only did it interfere with my house's electronics.. LCD tvs changing channels, phones ringing... AND Xplornets wireless connections going wonky... AND my hydro bill almost doubling... I was told it would cost $200-300 for some one to check my meter...

So I took the initiative and bought a TED.. the energy detective device ($200 out of pocket).. to record my hydro usage and compare it to the meter... I installed the device on Oct 25th, 2010.... then on Nov 23, 2010 my meter was replaced without prior warning.. the hydro guy said it wasn't working properly.. so now I have spent $200 on a device to measure what I thought was a defective meter, that meter was removed for being defective.. So now, I have no way of proving that I overpaid on that meter since it was installed for over a year and a half.. ... so Hydro one.. welcome to PAY BACK BITCH big time.. you won't look into my concerns... well with this cover.. millions of people will not have to pay your time of day usage rates if you cant get the data now can you..

YOUR FUCKING welcome from a disgruntled and pissed off Hydro One customer... MERRY XMAS LOSERS!!!!

OH and Mr McGuinty... I emailed your office about this and asked you to contact me... meh.. your staff sucks...
How about wrapping it in aluminum foil and then add the ground?
Please post your pics. Thanks, Tito.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito View Post
How about wrapping it in aluminum foil and then add the ground?
Please post your pics. Thanks, Tito.
These are images of a 7 inch cap found at Canadian tire... I bought a 3 foot length if pipe to match.. but would only have to cut 3-4 inches off... so will probably use aluminum foil tape for duct work (6 inch wide) to attach...

My NEW meter... now 1 watt instead of .25 and reading not @ zero!!!!

can't find my aluminum 6 inch duct tape at the moment to complete the installation... but will post more pics... the Hydro one meter reader, with which I had insulated the previous meter the day before it got replaced, commented on whether or not I was trying to keep the meter warm.. LMAO... the next picture i will post will be with the wrap and a ground from the CAP to the box... this was suggested by an army radar operator who noticed huge anomalies with both his xplornet signal, and from a military standpoint about our radar in ontario being adversely affected since Hydro one turned on these meters.. hehehe more info for everyone to digest!!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Someone has emailed me asking if the meters hold the info for time of day usage, which I can not honestly answer... but my guess in no... considering the time it would take for Hydro One to send an actual real person out to read the meter.. and they have probably fired most of these guys.. from my information these meters send out info every 15 seconds to be recorded from the "mothership"= Hydro One.... so if you have a 2.4 ghz xplornet antenna guess who is now crowding and interfering with your internet.. how much of a memory these things have .. someone else will have to comment on.. once my shroud of protection is in place... I will be in a better position to discuss any time of day usage charges... however the H1 receiver is BOMBARDED by xplornet 2.4 radios pointing right at the device... so in fact H1 may NEVER be able to use this device in my neighbourhood...lets see who wins the battle of the airwaves!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM

I am so pissed at the whole fiasco, I am within 500 ft of xplornets tower, speeds have always sucked but thats another issue, now Hydro One and these damn meters and Dolton with his bloody tax on utilities

I wish Dolton had a windmill up you know where, what I would like to know if your method was used, at what rate will the meter be recording useage??? at the low rate? or the high rate, also what is Hydro one going to do when their meter cant be remotely read?

my meter and my xplornet receiver are within 10 feet of one another, and I am within 500 ft of their tower, they have been promising an upgrade to my tower for over 2 years, and now they want to introduce 4g

why doesnt the damn government just fund dsl eqipment in my area at kleast then i would have a choice of isp's

Bill
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

A "good" Smart Meter should have adequate flash memory to store the users meter readings for a couple of days to a month or more. Also when power consumption reading is in dispute, the meter should be able to be read to determine actual consumption if the Hydro's numbers at the office are wrong.

PDF. January 2005.
sites.energetics.com/MADRI/toolbox/pdfs/ontario/plan.pdf

Search the site that makes the smart meters, for information.
http://www.trilliantinc.com/

http://www.trilliantinc.com/about/pr...ies/hydro-one/

PDF.
trilliantinc.com/library-files/solution-briefs/Metering.pdf

http://www.trilliantinc.com/solutions/metering/
http://www.trilliantinc.com/solution...f-use-billing/

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r249...Meter-Readings

http://www.hydroone.com/MyHome/MyAcc...Pages/FAQ.aspx
PDF.
hydroone.com/MyHome/MyAccount/MyMeter/Documents/Smart_Meters_Report_on_RFE.pdf

Diagram of the neighborhood smart grid.
http://www.hydroone.com/MyHome/MyAcc...erReading.aspx

Update on BC Hydro smart meters network router.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12256/index.html
900Mhz is the meter frequency.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-n...or-smart-grids

BC is getting smart meters for the whole province by the end of 2012. Vendor still to be determined. EDIT: OpenWay Meters. https://www.itron.com/na/solutions/pages/openway.aspx
http://www.bchydro.com/planning_regu...e_program.html
I wonder how many people will have the police visit? Since the meters will be able to detect 'certain' power consumptions and meter by-passing. Note that many of those people will be innocent of any crime and Hydro will be guilty of violating privacy laws in some cases, by giving information to the police without justifiable warrants. Just make sure Hydro knows that you do have electric heat or an electric furnace or pool or sauna or workshop or green house for winter vegetables.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Sup...592/story.html
A couple of more Judges that need to be gotten rid of. What use is a Constitution and Civil Rights if so-called Judges keep declaring them null and void.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 12-17-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 AM

Hey guys,

I don't know what H1 is using elsewhere, but I know that where I live they installed 2.4Ghz on the hydro poles. After they'd finished rolling that out in the entire area, they realized that the 2.4 wasn't going to work as well as they thought, so they took that all down and put 3.65Ghz on the cell towers around.

So obviously, a 2.4 Xplornet radio, or even one of their licensed 3.5 radios wouldn't cause interference for the smart meter. Since H1 is using WIMAX for it all, they've effectively wasted the entire 3.65 frequency for any WISP's to use. I work for one, we use 900, 2.4 and 5.8, but we know of some others around that paid huge money for "4G" Redline 3.65 radios, and now the interference (and therefore throughput, rates, etc) is so bad we are taking away lots of their customers.

If you want to somehow block the smart meter without installing a cover on your meter, you'll need a 3.65Ghz radio.

Anyone ever successfully been able to SSH or Telnet into one of the meters/H1 AP? I need to take a better look at the specs on the meters, but even intercepting the packets and doing some ARP spoofing shouldn't be out of the question.. and then the question is how to manipulate the packets before they reach the AP.
If anyone has done any work and/or made any progress in this area, I would love to hear about it!

Peace.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:27 AM

apparently xplornet is installing 4g in my village soon, the tower in town is way oversubscribed, smart meters activate here this month, can only mean even slower speeds I am sure
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Default what if they find out

What will happen if they find out can they charge you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplornetadmin View Post

Materials needed...

1 self tapping screw

Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticpets2001 View Post
What will happen if they find out can they charge you?
of course they can have u charged its not a good idea to mess with the meters

i believe i read in the end user agreement online some time ago that anyone caught of tampering with the time of use meters can be charged the highest rate of time for all there hydro usage during the time that they could not get the reading gezz i will try and find where the agreement where i read it