XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM

Default xplornet conspiracy...?

Hi All

This is my first post.

I have been an xplornet satellite internet customer for over 3 years. Needless to say, our 3 year contractual commitments came to an end.
Just after our 3rd year, we recieved a call from Xplornet to ask to discuss a new contract, we did not commit to anything during that conversation, we would prefer to carry on with xplornet without the contract, giving us the freedom to choose a new provider at any time.
A couple of months passed by and, our internet started to become troublesome, the surf beam modem would lose the 2nd green light for most of the day, at its worst point days would pass before we could pick up emails, surfing the web was pointless as the system would cut out often.
The first phone call to customer services told us that we have been exceeding our usage and to wait an hour. (reading this forum I now fully understand fapping, having never really knew about it).
Our initial thought was that my son was downloading demos on his PS3 so we disabled our wireless router and used our primary computer hooked direct to the modem and we waited, nothing really changed.
The 2nd call to customer services told us that we probably had a hardware fault and to await a call from a local technician.
When he called, he confirmed that it could be a hardware problem and gave us the ballpark cost of the repair- he actually stated that the cheapest option would be to become a new customer and set up a new contract in the name of another member of the home!!!
I am not totally convinced as I have recently discovered we get a reasonably reliable connection in the early hours of the morning??
Surely a hardware fault does not fail during peak times only?

Is it possible that xplornet are playing us around to get us to sign a new contract? During the last week my connection has been a little better, has my hardware mysteriously fixed itself?

Anyone else sense a conspiracy or does xplornet usage cause paranoia?

Darren
Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 PM

xplornet has been toying with me for a year now and I would believe that they would do such things just to drain more money out of you
Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimdarren View Post
Hi All

Is it possible that xplornet are playing us around to get us to sign a new contract? During the last week my connection has been a little better, has my hardware mysteriously fixed itself?

Anyone else sense a conspiracy or does xplornet usage cause paranoia?

Darren

Happens on WildBlue and Hughesnet(U.S.) and other quirks on Xplornet.

What happens, either with or without contract, is modem mysteriously can not hook up with satellite.
User calls support and support determines that some part of equipment is at fault, so support can send out a installer to troubleshoot and repair system.

Answers from posts on various forums/reviews.

Answer 1:
User says OK to send installer and system magically comes back to life a half hour later.

Answer 2:
Dead system until, Installer arrives and realigns dish and checks out all parts. System magically comes back to life as he is talking to support.

Answer 3:
Customer just outside of contract has system die. Calls support who suggests to the user to get a Installer to come out at many dollars cost(for any dead parts), or sign up for a new contract and get the install repair free. Customer says, "no freaking way" and system magically comes back to life in a short time(sometimes during the call).

Hardware(modem or TRIA or sometimes a bad connection on the cables) can have issues with heat or moisture or bad power plugs. The rare time a dish will slightly move with the heat of the sun, but that would assume a bad alignment, that support should be able to see on the modem stats.
But some things that happen are a bit odd.

Answer 4:
WildBlue user has issues with their system. Installers keep changing out parts and cables. Nothing fixes the connection, even though all parts have now been replaced. Executive Customer care is contacted and they authorize a brand new install(all previous parts are removed). Connection magically becomes good.

And there still is that pesky, random, Xplornet good speeds for 30 days(or posts as of late noting 60 days. Wireless or Satellite), and then down to slow system speeds.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 07-30-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Linux Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimdarren View Post
I am not totally convinced as I have recently discovered we get a reasonably reliable connection in the early hours of the morning??
Surely a hardware fault does not fail during peak times only?
That's always a good test to perform. If your system works ok at 3 a.m. then it's probably not a hardware fault.

However, congestion (the "primetime slowdown"), or getting FAPped, won't cause the second green light on your modem to go out. That pretty much says the modem can't talk to the satellite. It could be misalignment, a bad modem, a bad tria, or even bad cables. See the FAQ if you haven't already. And next time you call customer support, if they mention your "deviation", write it down. (Write down any numbers they mention, even if they're talking to themselves. This can be useful diagnostic information.)

Unless I was sure I wouldn't have any alternatives for the next few years, I would not sign a contract for a new installation. When you're comparing the cost of paying for the repair vs. the cost of a new contract, try to estimate when you'll want to leave Xplornet, and figure in the cancellation cost ($25 per month of unused contract) as part of the total cost of taking a new contract. (It might be cheaper to take a 2-year contract, or even a 1-year.)
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Thanks. We've been keeping a closer look on the 'receive' light. It is on for almost all of the time, we try to use the internet through the day, and frequently, it will not work and the action of us trying to fix the network connection will make the 'recieve' light flicker and go out.
Yet I am still perplexed as to why my connection is so stable during the middle of the night (its 2.40am as I write this!!) - can a hardware fault 'raise its head' during peak hours?

Darren
Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Linux Member

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the details of satellite communication to give you a solid answer. I can conjecture that, if you have a weak transmitter (or misaligned dish), and you are trying to establish a connection during a busy period, that other people would have stronger signals and your unit wouldn't get through. But I thought that once the connection is established, your unit gets "polled" in a regular time slot so that it can reply without interference. Then again, I don't know the first thing about how their DAMA (Demand Assigned Multiple Access) works. So I'm just speculating.

It's also possible that there is something temperature-sensitive in the tria or the dish, but now I'm really speculating.

Quote:
the action of us trying to fix the network connection will make the 'recieve' light flicker and go out.
I'm curious, what are you doing to try to fix the network connection? Other than power-cycling the modem, there's not a lot you can do.