XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Unhappy Two failed TRIAs within 8 days

I started with Xplornet (KA) in Sep. 09 and was doing relatively well until the beginning of June this year. Following a heavy rain storm, I lost Internet service and was able to get a tech at my house two weeks later. He said it was a problem with the TRIA and replaced it with a used on he had in his van. The used replacement did not appear to be in good shape (he patched the plastic cover with silicone) and it lasted for exactly 8 days when we had another rain storm.

Has anyone had problems with multiple TRIA failures and is there anything that can be done to help them resist to rain better. One would think that a device that sits outside on a dish should be designed to withstand the elements.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

The early generations of the TRIA's did tend to leak.
As far as I know, they are on the third generation and the leaking may of finally been stopped.
Was it a new dish that was installed in the first place? Or did it look already 'used'?

If the cap was loose(or had been off while in use somewhere else), it probably already had enough moisture in the unit and would of failed sooner or later. So not really a good fix by the installer. He should of only used it temporary until he could get you a new one. Hopefully you won't get dinged an extra service charge to fix it. You'd have to complain up higher than level one support(the front lines of call support) if they do charge you. And also give the installers name to Xplornet to see if he has had any more complaints over other install/repair problems(official complaint).

And a TRIA full or water can also burn out the modem too over time, as the modem has to ramp up power to counteract the water infiltration in the TRIA.

Pics of a failed tria.
http://oceanfalls.org/misc/trias/trias.html

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 06-29-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Anecdotally, I have heard TRIA fail for one of two reasons. The first is poor dish aim and peak leading to the TRIA having to transmit at too high a power level leading to failure. Frankly, I have my doubts about that. The other issue is water infiltrating into the electronics, primarily through the feed horn. This was more of a problem with the earlier units that didn't have the plastic case over the feed horn (polarizer).

My guess is the second one was a used one that the tech had, and it had been pulled due to questionable service.

Good luck,

Icarus
Old 06-30-2010, 05:00 PM

I have been having trouble with Xplornet since I got it last November, I have called in only to have to do all the work myself. Now that I want out of the contract, all of the sudden they see that my dish was not lined up right since last November or December. They are just using excuses now. That exactly what they are doing to you as well.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM

I was talking with 2nd level support and mentioned the condition of the replacement TRIA. They asked for pictures of the unit. I sent them pictures showing the silicone patch job. I requested that the work order be assigned to another installer in my area.
As per advice in the thread, I unplugged the modem to prevent further damage.

I asked if I could get an invoice adjustment for service unavailability and they told me to call back once the problem was fixed.
Thanks for your replies, I will update once installer shows up.
I am glad I kept my 295.ca account active.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Well, it took a while but I finally got the TRIA replaced with a new one. It appears to be a newer model with the TX/RX connector straight out the back (not at a downward angle) and a clip-on plastic cover at the bottom with the ViaSat name. I will now contact XplorNet to try and get a credit for the nearly 2 months of unavailable service.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 AM

I called Xplornet to place a request for a credit and the lady said she had to speak with a supervisor because she could only approve 1 month of credit. She came back a few minutes later and told me that I would receive a credit for the from the date I reported the problem until it was finally fixed (~2 months). I will wait and see.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM

Smile Received credit for the whole time I was Out Of Service

I got my monthly bill a few days ago and received a full credit for the whole time I did not get service.

From my invoice:
OOS CREDIT - 2 Months and 3 days

The outage period was a pain and it took way too long to get this finally resolved but I can finally close the book on this one.