XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Default Rogersí Rocket Hub

Just purchased the Rogersí Rocket Hub instead of going with Explornet thanks to the reports and comments from this site.

After living in a rural area with only dial-up since 2005, I had to get something especially since before moving to our current location, I was with Rogers HiSpeed Internet. Explornet was about to get my business even though the users of this board really had nothing good to say about them as we didnít have much else to pick from.

The Rocket Hub uses Rogersí 3G Network and you can see the potential coverage and itís features at Rogersí Hub Webpage. Important to note, this isnít the Rocket Stick but a hub that can connect several computers including wireless devices, phone access etc.

Upon getting the hub home, installation was so simple, plug it into the wall power. Within seconds, the hub was connected to the Rogersí 3G Network. Since I have a desktop computer, I needed to connect the ethernet cable (which is included) from my computer to the hub. I disabled my dial-up connection and connected to the internet. It worked that easy. So easy, I brought the hub across the street to my neighbourís house, plugged it in and their laptop was online after we supplied the required wireless password.

Okay, Iím sure everyone wants to know about the download speeds. At first, my signal wasnít that good. I actually waited until the trees were in full foliage to ensure the signal should only get better as winter comes on. I live approximately 4 km from the tower and we are in a valley too. The hub shows signal strength from 1 to 5 bars. At first, my signal was mainly 2 bars all morning and in the afternoon, 1 bar was more common and back to 2 bars all evening.

Obviously the higher the signal quality (bars) the more speed you should get. With one bar, a 6 meg file from testmy.net was clocking in between 56 and 72 KBps. With 2 bars, the same file was clocking in between 100 and 125 KBps. Recently, I moved the hub from the top of my computer to the desktop and I received 3 bars. With 3 bars, the same file was clocked as high as 237 KBps. So was I impressed? After getting 3 KBps max for the last 5 years on dial-up, I am extremely happy with the speeds.

Upload speeds are not as great but still way better than my 2.2 KBps on dial-up. With 1 bar, upload speeds were the same as dial-up. With 2 bars, uploads were twice as fast at 5 KBps. With 3 bars, the average speed is 14 KBps.

These speeds are not guaranteed as I found out this AM. I had a good signal (3 bars) but everything was taking so long to come in. Thanks to some bursts (35 to 50 KBps) I got done what I was trying to do but a steady communication just wasnít there. I had installed XP SP3 yesterday so figured that might be the issue but both IE and Firefox (even after a reboot) were very slow to load the required webpages. After Ĺ hour of this, I called Rogers and while I was waiting for technical help to pick up, the speed markly increased. The Rogers tech blamed possible traffic. So after 3 days of great speed and a very short time of inactivity, I have 10 more days to trial the hub.

Rogers (in Quinte West) is offering a 15 day trial with the hub. So if you get it home and it doesnít work, you can return it. Even if it works but you are not satisfied with it, you can return it.

So what will this cost you? The router costs $400 without a contract but only $150 with a 2 year contract. There is a one time activation fee of $35 but this was waived when I bought the hub. There are some regulatory fees required too but they are less than $4. I even got a $50 Rogersí Gift card when I bought the hub. The month rate for bandwidth on the hub is $35 for 3 Gig. If you use more than 3 Gig, you simply move into the next category of 5 Gig for $45. The next category is 10 Gig for $60.

More to follow in ten days.

Fred
Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 AM

10 gig for 60 bucks is not too bad in honesty. I assume latency is very low. the speeds do not sound that great however...
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM

I've had the Hub since about January and we get 4 to 5 out of 5 signal strength. Here is my speed test:

Download Connection is:: 5488 Kbps about 5.49 Mbps (tested with 6144 kB)
Download Speed is:: 670 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 510 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 62 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2010-06-03 01:24:51 GMT

One thing I would tell people to be cautious about with the Hub is enabling the phone. It has some issues that are quite annoying. With call display, only numbers show up. Name display is an "add-on" but it doesn't work. I contacted the manufacturer of the Hub and they said Rogers tested it and the name display "shall work" but it doesn't. Voice mail will only turn a light on on the front of the Hub and you will have no indication on any phone that you have a message waiting.

If you can live with those things, $15/mth for unlimited local calls isn't bad. We're keeping the Hub phone since there isn't any other choice in our area except Bell. We will never deal with them again.

Bell does have the exact same device but call it the Turbo Hub. It's a little more expensive than the Rocket Hub.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Thanks Fred and Other for a very informative post about the HUB... I Strongly suggest people take a look at this ALTERNATIVE before considering Xplornet... the 15 day trial period should be enough for people to test it out.. from the time I originally endorsed the HUB.. it only had 6 GB a month.. but is now 10 GB for $60... another $15 gives you a replacement for BELL home phone... so consider that!!..

no I don't get a cent for endorsing, suggesting the HUB.. wish I did.. I did try.. LOL.. but try the Rogers, TELUS or Bell hubs first in your rural area... your speeds will be MUCH faster if you can connect.....

My ISSUE is.. why does all our tax dollars go to xplornet who doesn't even follow the CRTC rules for rural broadband? Something to ask your local politicos next election... that or MAKE them sign up for xplornet as a provider... that way they get the same BENEFITS from xplornet that the rest of the taxpayers get... maybe that will improve things somewhat... LOL

Thanks again FRED.. am glad it seems to have worked out for you... keep in touch though if things go south!!

AND PS.. THANKS for using testmy.net for your speed tests... it REALLY does make a difference in comparing service.. cheers..
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Well, it's done. My 15 day trial was a success so I've cancelled my dial-up service and went with the Rocket Hub. The performance over the last week has been great, periodically losing the higher speeds but only for a short time frame (7 to 10 minutes). One evening the weather was bad (cloudy, foggy, rain) and the speeds were very slow but after 5 minutes I was back to over 100KBps so the weather wasn't a factor.

Fred
Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 AM

The Bell hub is unlimited usage isn't it? I was looking into it but it's not available in New Brunswick. Could you use the Rogers hub for xbox live? I really want something that will let me play xbox live
Old 07-03-2010, 06:02 AM

|Bell Turbo Hub is not unlimited. In fact it costs more to use than the Rogers Rocket Hub. I would post a bell.ca link but the site has been so flaky for surfing your better off using Google to find any info.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by former employee View Post
The Bell hub is unlimited usage isn't it? I was looking into it but it's not available in New Brunswick. Could you use the Rogers hub for xbox live? I really want something that will let me play xbox live
I know someone in New Brunswick that has the Rocket Hub but only has 2G service. Make sure you check the Rogers coverage area. The Hub will work on 2G but the speeds are quite a bit slower. To get the (up to) 7Mps speeds, you need the 3G service.

If you plan on enabling the phone, you cannot use the phone and Internet at the same time with the 2G service. The Internet will be cut off if someone uses the phone. With 3G, there is no problems using the phone and Internet at the same time.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/in...bile/rockethub

Rogers is apparently having a hard time keeping the Rocket Hub in stock. There may be a waiting time if you order one.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 PM

Latency killed the Rogers Rocket hub for me, was around 250-400ms , not worth it for me.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfjd View Post
Latency killed the Rogers Rocket hub for me, was around 250-400ms , not worth it for me.
I test my latency 86ms on the rogers hub. You must have a OS problem.