XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 AM

Thumbs up Another Option Now Available (Bell turbo hub)

I knew it wouldn't be long for Bell to come out with a portable Internet to go against the Rogers Rocket Hub. Bell now has a Turbo Hub. It's the same device as the Rocket Hub (Ericsson W35) but works on the Bell Network.

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.../70193.details

Prices are a little more than Rogers:

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/Turbo-Hu...n/THUB.details
Old 07-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Default Bell Turbo hub is a massive rip off

The rate plan is terrible. 10GB is a joke. My first bill was $1,100 for ONE MONTH. If your kids surf You tube videos or play games on line, watch out -- you will be screwed.I also had to pay $400 to cancel the service. I cannot believe that Bell can screw people over like this. Stay away. 10 GB is not that much as I found out.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Linux Member

Yeah. 10 GB/month is roughly 300 MB/day, not much better than most of the low-end satellite internet plans. Back in our satellite days, my wife and I (no kids) would typically use about 200 MB/day just doing web browsing and email -- no videos or music downloads.

When we switched to wireless we took a 15 GB/month plan (now 20 GB) because I figured we'd use 10 GB with just our day-to-day activities, and once every few months I'd want to do a few GB of software downloads. At least we only pay a few dollars/GB when we go over.

Updated to add: always check the fine print.
Bell, Level 3 plan: over 10 GB, you pay $15 per GB. ($.015 per MB)
Rogers, Extreme Plan: over 80 GB, you pay $1.50 per GB.
And that's the Rogers plan closest to Bell in price; Rogers has larger plans.

Last edited by Brad R : 07-25-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
Updated to add: always check the fine print.
Bell, Level 3 plan: over 10 GB, you pay $15 per GB. ($.015 per MB)
Rogers, Extreme Plan: over 80 GB, you pay $1.50 per GB.
And that's the Rogers plan closest to Bell in price; Rogers has larger plans.
Just to add to this; the information is for Extreme cable Internet not the Rogers Rocket Hub. The Rocket Hub costs $35 up to 3Gb, $45 for 3 to 5Gb and $60 if you use 5 to 10Gb and an extra $5 per Gig after that.

These Hubs are not the cheapest by far but where I live, it's that or Xplornet. I'll stick with my Rocket Hub.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Linux Member

Oops, dammit, that's what I get for clicking "Internet" instead of "Wireless" on the Rogers page. (I'm not a Rogers customer.) Thanks for catching my mistake! Yes, you have the real Rocket Hub numbers:

Rogers, Tier 3 ($60/mo): over 10 GB, you pay $5 per GB.

So still a better deal than Bell, but not a terrifically better deal. (But it would have saved Guitarmaniak almost $700.)

Thanks again for the correction!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default regards to Rogers Rocket Hub

Finally picked up one of these a couple of weeks ago.. and got the new Netcomm HUB.. much nicer and more features than W35, and for the most part am impressed. Yes the data plans are relatively expensive, but unlimited 56k type downloads offered from xplornet is not really an option either, combine that with the fact in Ontario at least.. Hydro ones Smart meter's network all but makes Xplornets 900 and 2.4 SM's virtually useless!! as they are using the same spectrum.. I initially thought they would be limiting it to the 900 mhz spectrum, but lo and behold in my latest Hydro bill they announce they are using the 2.4 as well.. so all motorola canopy users are pretty well shit out of luck for getting their SMs to connect properly!!

Back to the Hub.. as with any bandwidth based plan (hubs or satellite).. one does have to be careful and monitor their usage.. one BIG tip, is to use an ad blocking "hosts" file.. so you don't have to dl the bandwidth hogging ads that tend to be on all web pages.. start here for more info http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/

Also a big plus with the rogers rocket hub is the $15 home phone option, a basic bell land line will set you back at least $25 per month... so putting the phone savings towards internet usage is a no brainer..

my speedtest posted on howard forums.. no not testmy.net because they use speedtest as their main test site. will post my testmy results later..lol

Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 PM

I use Firefox and installed the Add Blocker Plus pluggin. It cut down a lot of bandwidth.

One thing I like with the Rogers Hub is you can check your usage and it will not use bandwidth. Just go to www.rogers.com/mymobile

The phone is nice but I don't know how well it works on the NetComm Hub. A person I know just got one and their phone is really poor. A lot of static and major echoing. I've had the phone enabled on my W35 for a few months now and generally it works well. We're only having problems with name display.

The speeds are good and I usually get between 4 and 6Mbps. Unfortunately, lately the speeds have been dropping down during the evening. The last few evenings I have been getting a maximum of 1Mbps.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Hydro ones Smart meter's network all but makes Xplornets 900 and 2.4 SM's virtually useless!! as they are using the same spectrum.. I initially thought they would be limiting it to the 900 mhz spectrum, but lo and behold in my latest Hydro bill they announce they are using the 2.4 as well.. so all motorola canopy users are pretty well shit out of luck for getting their SMs to connect properly!!

I have a question about the above statement.I have had Xplornet with a 900 since Sept 06.If the statement was true my internet would not work or work poorly. I have not noticed any problems since the smart meters came along.We have had our smart meter for about a year.

Now don't get me wrong,I F@CKING hate Xplornet.I've had the same speed issues as everyone else and can only download at .7Mbps,but its been this way since day one.I even reduced my package from 3Mbps to 1.5Mbps since I was throttled at .7 anyway.

I have no choice but to use these idiots as there is no cable or DSL in my area.If these morons had to compete head to head with cable and DSL they would be out of business at the end of the month.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM

- i posted this in the rogers hub thread, so i want to make sure bell hub potential customers read this so you don't get screwed, xplorenet has done enough to you so please keep this in mind:

be careful with the 14 day trial

after you use 50mb during your "trial" you are BOUND INTO CONTRACT which requires a $400 cancellation fee to break even if you return it on the same f-ing day you bought it. the W35 hub has a warranty for 1 year (which you have to rely on rogers or bell to get fixed) and if you can't get it fixed or have problems later, it's $400 to cancel your contract, even if you paid the $149 for the unit and the $35/month for the 2-year contract.

there's only 2 reasons I'm not using the HUB right now.

1. the cancellation fees are like a big f'n anvil ready to drop on your head + they are typical non-caring money grabbing tactics by rogers and bell like usual. and would make for a great legal way to torture it's users as time passes and 3G gets more and more traffic.

2. the usage based billing is a MASS RIPOFF. in today's internet world, 3GB in a month is a JOKE! 10GB is even a joke! i know trying to download a 6GB (paid for) game through Steam on xplorenet is a giant pain with the ass throttling that breaks the connection into a drip, but at least it won't cost me $45 just for THAT FILE that I already paid for!!

the hub is for people who barely use the internet or need the phone service. that is IT.

wait till we get xplorenet 4G. everyone will be submitted to this massive lead slug in our usage. it will force us to buy games and movies retail, and simply pay more for internet. what a JOKE.

you know what i would do to satisfy my large downloads if i did buy a hub though.. (i do not use torrent sites or even download music, i download paid-for games and games patches, etc.)

i would bring a USB stick to work (if it's available to you) and use their business class internet connections. i get all my stuff directly onto the stick, then bring it home, downloading while i work.

this still does not account for streaming video and online games.

just my .02 hope it gives someone a new perspective on their horrid xplorenet. i hate mine but i'm keeping it for now based on no usage based fees.