XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Default Monthly limit from Xplornet and rapidshare blockage

Did anyone else get this notice and if so were they able to do anything about it?
Seems Xplornet can change contract deals whenever it suits them.
They also deny but have blocked my rapidshare access during the daytime.
March 02, 2010
Dear Customer,

Important notification about your Xplornet Internet service

At Xplornet, our goal is to ensure that each Xplornet customer receives fair and consistent access to the Internet. To do this, one policy that Xplornet has implemented is called Internet Traffic Management. Internet Traffic Management helps to ensure that as many of our customers as possible, receive consistent speeds based on the service packages that they have purchased.

Xplornet has a responsibility to deliver high quality Internet service to all of our customers. In the event that individual customers? usage pattern becomes excessive, it places at risk our ability to deliver on this commitment

As stated in the End User Agreement, Xplornet has established a Traffic Management Policy to ensure equitable access to the Service for all Xplornet subscribers. This policy establishes a balance in Internet access across high-speed Internet services for all Xplornet subscribers regardless of their Internet usage. To ensure this equity of usage is maintained among Xplornet subscribers, subscribers may experience some temporary throughput limitation. The Internet Traffic Management Poli! cy applies to all Xplornet Internet Service plans.

Our records indicate that over the past couple of months, usage on your Xplornet account has been significantly higher than the usage of an average Xplornet customer (approximately 7GB/month). Therefore, Xplornet will be introducing a maximum monthly usage of 20 GB per month on your service beginning April 1st 2010. Xplornet will be monitoring the bandwidth consumption on your account over the next 30 days. We request that you work to reduce your usage to the above-stated level. If you do not reduce your usage, Xplornet will begin limiting your Internet access connection speed to a maximum speed of up! to 128kbps for any consumption beyond the monthly 20GB usage threshold. If you wish to return to your original package speed, you will have the option of doing so by purchasing additional bandwidth at a fee of $2 per GB.

If you have any other questions regarding this notice, please call 1-866-841-6001. A copy of the End User Agreement, Internet Use Policy and Xplornet?s Traffic Management Policy can be found at http://www.xplornet.com/legal.aspx

Thank you,

Rob Horwood

VP, Customer Care
Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM

significantly higher than the usage of an average Xplornet customer (approximately 7GB/month).

Hard to download 7GB/month when they put you into FAP for most of it. And who the hell only uses 7GB/month anymore?

Xplornet will be monitoring the bandwidth consumption on your account over the next 30 days

Do you also get access to monitor your bandwidth or is it gonna be a one sided deal?

Xplornet will begin limiting your Internet access connection speed to a maximum speed of up! to 128kbps

There's that UP TO thing again

I am so glad to be off the satellite. I need to find a new use for the dish
Old 03-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peavey515 View Post
significantly higher than the usage of an average Xplornet customer (approximately 7GB/month).

Hard to download 7GB/month when they put you into FAP for most of it. And who the hell only uses 7GB/month anymore?

Xplornet will be monitoring the bandwidth consumption on your account over the next 30 days

Do you also get access to monitor your bandwidth or is it gonna be a one sided deal?

I have emailed and asked this and no reply.....I am not surprised

Xplornet will begin limiting your Internet access connection speed to a maximum speed of up! to 128kbps

There's that UP TO thing again

If I read this correctly I am thinking this is 12.KB/sec....
better than dial-up but not much...
I am so glad to be off the satellite. I need to find a new use for the dish
If I had a choice I would be gone..

Last edited by disherabcd : 03-05-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-05-2010, 01:39 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Time to complain to the CRTC(with their current system of proper documentation of throttling practices) and have Xplornet put in writing their 'new' traffic management policy for all users and not just a chosen few. And also a list will be needed of all blocked/heavily throttled port 80 download sites and that would probably also include video sites like YouTube.

For this part below Xplornet needs to send the 'new' bandwidth limitation to 'all' customers and not just a chosen few who try to use their high speed service for all things internet.
Xplornet has established a Fair Access Policy to ensure equitable access to the Service for all Xplornet subscribers. This policy establishes a balance in Internet access across high-speed Internet services for all Xplornet subscribers regardless of their frequency or traffic usage. To ensure this equity of usage is maintained among Xplornet subscribers, subscribers may experience some temporary throughput limitation. The Fair Access Policy applies to all Xplornet Service plans.

Xplornet has in their papers about limiting speeds/bandwidth during times the system is in over capacity with users online, but if you are downloading over port 80(browser) the rules of so many MB's per hour is supposed to apply.

And make sure that sites like anti-virus and other things are not also being throttled.
Windows updates are big at times, so if Xplornet throttles your Windows updates from the start, Microsoft would like to know about that for the security of your computer.

And if Xplornet is monitoring your bandwidth usage to a new low limit, then they had better give you an online access portal to see those numbers to compare with your own bandwidth monitor calculations.

You could also dispute the service changes being too much(cancel contract), due to the heavy throttling of certain port 80 downloading websites that you pay for or need for business purposes for file transfers.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 03-05-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 PM

" http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/lt100122e.htm "

This is a good article from another posting on this board...

Still no response from Xplornet about my concerns
Old 04-24-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Our records indicate that over the past couple of months, usage on your Xplornet account has been significantly higher than the usage of an average Xplornet customer (approximately 7GB/month). Therefore, Xplornet will be introducing a maximum monthly usage of 20 GB per month on your service beginning April 1st 2010. Xplornet will be monitoring the bandwidth consumption on your account over the next 30 days. We request that you work to reduce your usage to the above-stated level. If you do not reduce your usage, Xplornet will begin limiting your Internet access connection speed to a maximum speed of up! to 128kbps for any consumption beyond the monthly 20GB usage threshold. If you wish to return to your original package speed, you will have the option of doing so by purchasing additional bandwidth at a fee of $2 per GB.
Makes sense now. I contact them to ask why I was getting 5kB/s to 8kB/s speeds... they told me to check my mail or contact Xplornet to ask about recent term changes. I ask surely they have an electronic version, they responded that someone would be calling me within 48 hours....

$112/month

For this?

Wow...

They were ultra shitty since they blocked rapidshare, megaupload, netload, etc sites and even oldschool IRC downloads... all that was left was torrents.

The only time this company doesn't blow is in the first two months you get hooked up, everything is as promised. Downhill after that. 3 years in.

I'm moving back to Montreal I think, after i find a job

Peace.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Administrator

check out the Rogers rocket hub...if you have coverage.. the speeds are decent and so is the price.. you also may want to lobby your local politcos to offer subsidies for rural 3G coverage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZiXx View Post
Makes sense now. I contact them to ask why I was getting 5kB/s to 8kB/s speeds... they told me to check my mail or contact Xplornet to ask about recent term changes. I ask surely they have an electronic version, they responded that someone would be calling me within 48 hours....

$112/month

For this?

Wow...

They were ultra shitty since they blocked rapidshare, megaupload, netload, etc sites and even oldschool IRC downloads... all that was left was torrents.

The only time this company doesn't blow is in the first two months you get hooked up, everything is as promised. Downhill after that. 3 years in.

I'm moving back to Montreal I think, after i find a job

Peace.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 PM

Wireless is no better.
I invite you to have a look at my thread:
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1056
Old 05-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Bald face lies

I too received the same notice that my acc't would be throttled after the 20 gb monthly limit. Got another notice on the 11th of this month that I had reached 80% of the limit of 20gb (16.1 gb). So I checked my McAfee traffic monitor and it had a total of 6.9 gb for this period. That's a 10 gig difference . Customer service was no help (as usual) and insisted that their numbers were correct. I know what I downloaded. In view of their offer to sell extra gigs @ $2.00 ea. this borders on outright FRAUD. How can they get away with this ? There is no appeal. Also their promise to call me back within 48 hours was bogus They just want to rob you. Yes Xplornet really does suck.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 AM

I was talking to a "level two" the other morning, the morning techs are more on the ball, they still have no power just reading from the response manual but better over all.

Buddy told me that this was on the books but there was no way he was going to mail me a copy. It is not written anywhere. Just there right to manage in the name of fairness to customers. Customers they have beaten down into not using the Internet because it sucks so bad.

Sounds like the Hues net customers are allot happier with there status meter...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r242...w-status-meter

If xplorcrap would come clean like this it would go a long way. Why lie and BS? Just take half the customer service personal budget and put it into some cheap soft wear like the hughscrap and fire 80 percent of the useless morons in the service department.

xplornet, telsat, 1 Mbps package

myxplornet test speeds 90% of the time; 205 kbps down and 20kbps - 40kbps up. I have a 16yo in the house, we live in the FAP zone. 50,000kb and we are fapped. 10 Gb / month max

no alternative, no regulation, no one to complain to