XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Just Bought the new ZTE LTE Rogers Rocket Hub

Well after all my years of agony with xplornet and finally cutting loose from them about a year ago I have bought myself the new Roger Rocket Hub ZTE model which is on the LTE network. Here are the details of my purchase:

-3 year contract (I hate contracts but did not want to fork out full price of hub)

-Hub was originally $99.00 for the hardware on 3 year but the guy at my local Rogers store gave me a promotional code for $50 off so the hub only cost me $50 plus the taxes upfront and paid for at the store.

- Monthly costs are 10gb of data for $52.00 plus taxes. (This is a LTE promotional plan.) No other hidden fees etc....flat out $52.00 plus tax.

Now here is the kicker for me....I have an LTE capable hub but unfortunately I don't have LTE service in my area yet so the hub isn't at full potential. I do however get the 4g service for now. So far I find it fast but haven't done too much with it yet. I was told though that the LTE network should be rolled out into my area within the next couple months....how true that is only time will tell.

I will keep this thread updated over the next little bit and share my experiences, good and bad.

I am going to try some online gaming through my Playstation 3 tonight and will give an update on how that works out in the next few days.

Here's hoping to an alternative to xploitnet!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM

Well so far it has been running strong. Haven't had any issues playing online with the Playstation 3 through the hub. For the most part I have been getting close to a solid 4mbps for speed but have seen it drop as low a 1mbps but it was still fast at surfing webpages at that speed. Still much better than satellite "high speed" and it's latency. The only real issue so far for me is that it does not play very nice with Windows 8 for me. Occasionally the computer loses sight of the connection in the wifi settings. But it only happens to the computer in the house that is running Windows 8. All other computers in the house run Windows 7 and have not any issues connecting to the hub via wireless. I thought maybe the wireless card in the tower running Windows 8 was acting up but that doesn't appear to be the case as the pc is a triple boot system running Windows 7, Windows 8, and Ubuntu 12.10 and neither Windows 7 or Ubuntu are having these issues.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Are you finding it easy to live within the 10gb? My family of 4 typically uses 40gb with just web surfing and Netflix, making these low bandwidth devices next to useless for me. Its unfortunate, because the Verizon CDMA network is not half bad (low latency in this area) It would be nice to have a real option.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Yeah the 10gb's is not nearly enough but we have been restraining ourselves not to use youtube and similar sites. First month was nerve racking for me because the meter that shows your bandwidth usage was not working because I had signed up in the middle of a billing cycle and I had called in several times to to see how much we were using for the first month and they kept telling me they could not retrieve that information. In the end we actually only used 7gb's but we were being very cautious. I have to say though that we did a lot of online gaming with the PS3 and Call of Duty on the computer and it doesn't chew up as much bandwidth as I thought it would......which is a good thing. If they could give me 40 or 50gb cap a month for the $52.00 I would be very happy then I could at least use netflix. I had it but now for me it isn't worth it to be able to watch 1 or 2 movies a month only.