XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Default Rogers Rocket Hub Speeds

My speeds have once again gone for a crap. It's 6:35 pm in Southwest Ontario and a speed test on the Rogers site indicates Down 488 Kpbs and Up 605 Kpbs, on another testing site it shows Down 0.56 Mbps and Up 0.99 Mpbs. I have had better speeds on dial up and even better on Xplornet.

And the Rogers test says Quality of Service 82%. They must be using a % rating of up to 1000% because I see this as a 2% quality of service.

Last edited by ret : 06-06-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Linux Member

You've had better speeds on dial-up?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
You've had better speeds on dial-up?
I believe he means that his Rogers' hub speeds are so slow/poor that when he had dial-up it was faster.

I also have a Rogers Hub and last year (June) when I first got it I was impressed. All was good until Oct when connectivity started to be a problem. During 3 to 6 pm, making a connection was hard. Sometimes I had to try repeatedly for 15 minutes to check my mail or to open Google's webpage. The same problem started during the morning hours too. The problem has continued to get worst and now between 3 and 6 pm I can't connect at all. If I reset / unplug the hub to cycle it, the "+" and the globe (indicating you're on the web) don't appear for over an hour. When they do appear and you think you have connectivity, you might get some surfing done or might get an email sent but within 1 or 3 minutes, you'll be dead again. To follow-up with RET's comment, between 3 and 6 pm for me, dial-up is faster than Rogers Hub as you can at least do something with dial-up.

What pisses me off the most, is Rogers identified the problem back in March 2011. They closed off both of my tickets (one from Oct and another one from March) by saying, the tower in my area needs improvement and this work will be done in May 2011. BTW, RET and I both use the same tower. Here it is June and the work isn't done. Rogers has given me credits for each month that I've had poor internet connection which is good but I'd rather pay full price and get connectivity with the speeds I seen one year ago.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Linux Member

Ah, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hill View Post
...I also have a Rogers Hub and last year (June) when I first got it I was impressed. All was good until Oct when connectivity started to be a problem....

What pisses me off the most, is Rogers identified the problem back in March 2011. They closed off both of my tickets (one from Oct and another one from March) by saying, the tower in my area needs improvement and this work will be done in May 2011. BTW, RET and I both use the same tower. Here it is June and the work isn't done. Rogers has given me credits for each month that I've had poor internet connection which is good but I'd rather pay full price and get connectivity with the speeds I seen one year ago.
So, RET and Fred Hill both use the same tower in SWO. I'm wondering if I'm on the same tower as well. I'm using a tower near Elmira (north of Waterloo).

Fred, how did you get any answer from them about the tower upgrade and HOW ON EARTH did you get credits back from Rogers?

I got my hub last summer and my experience is almost word for word the same as yours. I've had tickets opened since last September off and on but never any resolution.

I'd like to at least know how I might be able to get Rogers to give me some of my money back... I'm paying about $300 between the Rocket Hub and my 3 BlackBerry Torches (2 kids and mine).
Old 06-11-2011, 04:30 PM

>So, RET and Fred Hill both use the same tower in SWO. I'm wondering if I'm on the same tower as well. I'm using a tower near Elmira (north of Waterloo).
No we live in Trenton/Quinte West area so we use a different tower.

>Fred, how did you get any answer from them about the tower upgrade and HOW ON EARTH did you get credits back from Rogers?
I called Customer Care and told them of my problems and they suggested a full month credit which I took.

>I'd like to at least know how I might be able to get Rogers to give me some of my money back... I'm paying about $300 between the Rocket Hub and my 3 BlackBerry Torches (2 kids and mine).
I have a friend coming over to test the Bell Hub. He moved to our street last fall and was having the same problems with Bell that Rogers is now having. When I check the the towers for Rogers and Bell, Bell has two towers now since last year so that's why his service improved. Roger's apparently is changing the hardware to add more users/bandwidth but that hasn't happened yet. By July, I'll probably leave Rogers and switch to Bell if their's is better.

Fred
Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 PM

One of the big problems with speed is kids getting off school and going on their cell phones and playing games on the Net. Cell phone take priority over data so if the cell towers are clogged up with kids on their phones, don't expect good data.

In my area, the speeds drop from about 3:00pm to 8:00pm. When I talk to people at work, even cable and DSL customer have the same problems. The Internet hardware in this area cannot handle the amount of Internet usage. These streaming video sites cause a huge load on the systems and most of Canada cannot handle it.

Even with the slow down, I`m still getting far better service than I ever got with Xplornet. With them, I only got 60k to 80k download speed but with my Hub, I usually get 400 to 600k. During the slow times, it can very quite a bit. Some days the speeds is good and some it`s bad.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM

I am posting an update on the rocket hub W35 now that I see this site is back. Earlier this year (July) I had the hub slow down that lasted almost a week and I called Rogers who tried every excuse in the book. Once they got it in their head that my hub had slow speeds on and off the antenna I had mounted outside the house and that this was a noticeable problem over 4 days they looked at their system. I was told it was an overloaded tower problem and they would change that and get back to me. I noticed one day later my speeds jumped and have stayed at an almost constant speed since. Two days later I got a call from India, it was a Rogers rep who informed me the repair had been done. I now have speeds at or over 4 Mbps down all the time and uploads vary around the 1 Mbps mark. Some days especially in the morning my speeds will reach 6 Mbps and hours later back to 4 Mbps. The bottom line is Rogers are over selling the system.

PS - just a note on voip. After spending hours of research and calculations I have concluded that even though voip works it is not a promising set up for my telephone long distance usage. I use the phone for local calls only through the W35 and purchased unlimited long distance other than Rogers as I average 1000 plus long distance minutes in this house each month. So had I used voip for long distance the money was no problem but I would be using 8 GB of my 10 GB package just for using the phone. I do use 10 GB and over by 1 or 2 on occasion with the internet alone. Voip usage at 8 GB would break the bank for me.