XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Default Reztel Towers Shutting Down

Just got an email today that states Reztel will be shutting down and removing their service. According to the email, ".... the Eastern Ontario Regional Network initiative is well underway in this area and Xplornet Communications was awarded contracts for their unique model of offering both 4G Wireless and 4G Satellite for a guaranteed high-speed connection serving both residences and businesses."

I thought when one company takes over everything there is, it was called a monopoly which is illegal? I'm not going to spend $300 to get set up with Xplornet and will never lock into another contract with them because they cannot provide the speeds they advertise. We went with Reztel so we could get more bandwidth than we got with Rogers but it looks like we will be going back to Rogers.

I find this funny in a way. A friend of mine lives in Sauble Beech. He asked if they could get DSL or cable in the area. Cable is not available but Bell said they had everything in place to install DSL but they were not allowed to. They would be the only provider and the government would not allow it because it would be a monopoly. I guess Xplornet has control over Eastern Ontario.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Ah, Harpers republican free market in action. Crush all competition and pretend there is lots of competition.

Here some links to the Competition bureau for anyone who wants to raise shit and kick Xplornets Lobbyist in the ass. Oh did I say lobbyist? Oh I meant whoever is getting Xplornet all this competition crushing shit together.

I'd put a link to the government 'freedom of access of information' site, but tax payer funded private companies never want details of their government contracts revealed.

Edit: Ah wait a minute. Disregard everything. Xplornet is a 100 million dollar a year company, so is immune from Canadas laws that the 99% have to abide by.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...c.nsf/eng/home
Competition bureau complain form. Not that government gives a shit anyways.
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...%C3%89T-7TDNA5

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...g/h_02758.html
links are on the linked page.
Quote:
Preventing Abuse of Market Power
Abuse of Market Power

The size of a business, even one that dominates a particular market, is not, of itself, a cause for concern. Businesses may need to become large to achieve lower production costs or to compete against foreign and domestic competitors. However, when a dominant company exploits its market power in a way that hurts competition in the marketplace the Competition Act may come into play.

Learn more…
Abuse of Dominance

The abuse of dominance provision of the Competition Act seeks to prevent firms that dominate a market from engaging in anti-competitive acts that harm competitors, and thereby significantly lessen competition.

For more information
Exclusive Dealing, Tied Selling and Market Restrictions

These practices generally occur when a supplier places conditions on the supply of a product that constrain the customer in terms of, for example, what else the customer must buy to obtain supply, where the customer may subsequently market the product, or what other product lines the customer may or may not carry. These practices are not illegal in themselves, but may become a cause for concern if they are found to have caused, or be likely to cause, a substantial lessening of competition in a market.

For more information
Refusal to Deal

Refusal to Deal involves situations where a buyer cannot obtain supplies of an available product on usual trade terms and, as a result, is substantially affected in her or his ability to conduct business, resulting in an adverse effect on competition.

For more information
Price Maintenance

Price maintenance may occur when a supplier prevents a customer from selling a product below a minimum price by means of a threat, promise or agreement. It may also occur when a supplier refuses to supply a customer or otherwise discriminates against them because of their low pricing policy. Section 76 of the Competition Act deals with price maintenance.

For more information

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...g/h_00511.html
Quote:
Abuse of Dominance

Abuse of a dominant position occurs when a dominant firm in a market, or a dominant group of firms, engages in conduct that is intended to eliminate or discipline a competitor or to deter future entry by new competitors, with the result that competition is prevented or lessened substantially. These provisions, contained in sections 78 and 79 of the Competition Act, establish the bounds of legitimate competitive behaviour and provide for corrective action when firms engage in anti-competitive activities that damage or eliminate competitors and that maintain, entrench or enhance their market power.

Where appropriate, the Commissioner will open discussions to try to obtain voluntary compliance with the law; sometimes this is all the action needed to correct the situation. A more formal solution would involve the registration of a consent agreement with the Competition Tribunal when all parties agree on a solution that will restore competition to the marketplace.

The Competition Tribunal is like a court, chaired by a judge and independent of any government department.

If voluntary compliance cannot be achieved, the Commissioner may file an application for an order before the Competition Tribunal to remedy the situation.

Subsection 79(1) sets out three essential elements that must be found to exist for the Competition Tribunal to grant an order. The Tribunal must find that:

one or more persons substantially or completely control, throughout Canada or any area thereof, a class or species of business;
that person or these persons have engaged or are engaging in a practice of anti-competitive acts; and
the practice has had, is having or is likely to have the effect of preventing or lessening competition substantially in a market.

The Tribunal has a number of remedies at its disposal to overcome the effects of anti-competitive acts and restore competition. The most common remedy is an order that requires the anti-competitive conduct to stop. The Tribunal may also impose an administrative monetary penalty on the company that was found to have abused its dominant position. This penalty can be for any amount up to $10,000,000 for the first order and $15,000,000 for any subsequent order made by the Tribunal against the same company.

http://www.eorn.ca/

http://www.eorn.ca/partners
Quote:
Partners

The Eastern Ontario Wardens’ Caucus is spearheading EORN with the support of government and private sector partners:

The federal government's peasants will contribute $55 million;
The provincial government's peasants will contribute $55 million ;
The EOWC has contributed another $10 million; and,
Private sector investment may total $50 million or more.

Starting in 2010, a series of competitive bids were used to select private partners to build the network. Bell and Bell Aliant have begun building a fibre optic backbone for the network, while Xplornet Communications is already providing satellite Internet service at improved pricing for Eastern Ontario customers. For local access contracts, seven Requests for Proposals were issued to cover the EORN region.

Becoming a Partner

As the network grows, there may be future opportunities for Internet service providers to partner with EORN in order to meet our goals for access, speed and price.
Additionally, our open access policy, which applies to all contracts, means that ISPs can purchase transport bandwidth or work with others to leverage new local access networks.
This section of the website is for ISPs who want to learn more about business-to-business opportunities through EORN. Please fill out the form below to register and an email will be sent to you confirming your log in information.
Eorn's board of directors(no email address's).
http://www.eorn.ca/about-eorn/board-of-directors/
Quote:
Board of Directors

Dave Burton, Chair/President

Haliburton County Council Member, Reeve of the Municipality of Highlands East, Past Chair of the EOWC
John Fenik, Treasurer

Mayor of the Town of Perth, Council Member and Past Warden of the County of Lanark.
J. Murray Jones, Secretary

Current Chair of the EOWC, Warden of the County of Peterborough and Reeve of the Township of Douro- Dummer.
Gary Davison, Board member

Warden for Frontenac County and Mayor of the Township of South Frontenac.
Ron Emond, Board member

Hastings County Council Member and Mayor of the Municipality of Hastings Highlands, Past Chair of the EOWC.
David Koa, Board member

Appointed public member.

Contact EORN.
http://www.eorn.ca/contact-us

Last edited by buttitchi : 08-01-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut View Post
Just got an email today that states Reztel will be shutting down and removing their service. According to the email, ".... the Eastern Ontario Regional Network initiative is well underway in this area and Xplornet Communications was awarded contracts for their unique model of offering both 4G Wireless and 4G Satellite for a guaranteed high-speed connection serving both residences and businesses."

I thought when one company takes over everything there is, it was called a monopoly which is illegal? I'm not going to spend $300 to get set up with Xplornet and will never lock into another contract with them because they cannot provide the speeds they advertise. We went with Reztel so we could get more bandwidth than we got with Rogers but it looks like we will be going back to Rogers.

I find this funny in a way. A friend of mine lives in Sauble Beech. He asked if they could get DSL or cable in the area. Cable is not available but Bell said they had everything in place to install DSL but they were not allowed to. They would be the only provider and the government would not allow it because it would be a monopoly. I guess Xplornet has control over Eastern Ontario.
Where are you ? We've "taken over" a small portion of RezTel's territory and might be able to help you out.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Xplornet has taken over Reztel and I will never go back to them. If they had quality service, good customer service and were a reliable Internet provider, they wouldn't need to force people to sign up for 3 years with them. They do this to keep everyone from leaving them once they find how bad their service and everything about them is. If Xplornet was a good provider, people would not want to leave them. They would tell all their friends to get service with Xplornet but in stead, everyone I know wants nothing to do with Xplornet after the way they have been treated.

Last edited by renrut : 08-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM

We're not xPlornet and we don't do contracts - I agree contracts are only needed when the service is not expected to be good...which is why I asked where are you - we may be able to help you out ?