XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 PM

Maybe the tower is having an issue ? Seems strange to have a drop in signal like that.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Linux Member

After it didn't straighten itself out for a few hours, I called Rogers tech support. The chap I spoke to said I had enough signal strength for good speeds. He finally walked me through switching the unit to a new APN, and that restored our speeds immediately. Server issues on their side, I guess.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Linux Member

Well, tomorrow is the end of our 15-day trial period. So far the service has been good enough, so I think we're going to keep the hub for the 2-year contract. There haven't been any particular issues this last week...just the usual prime-time slowdown, which I expect.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 PM

I went ahead and ordered 5 Rogers Sim cards. I am using them in Huawei E270 USB modems attached to Zyxel USG20's. It works well for what it is - the card is an older Gen device, so it maxes out at 7.2MbpsTheoretical - My speed test show 800Kbps to 1.5Mbps download and around 256Kbps upload. 1.5Mbps is more then suffecient as a backup internet source for our purposes.

My one test device I have - the Huawei E372 easily reached 5Mbps down and 2-3Mbps up. The network itself is quick. Thank you Brad for your feedback.

Just one thing to note - if you want an external accessible IP (We need it for some services to work) there is a charge for $12.95
Old 08-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Linux Member

I forgot to mention a support call I had last week. One morning our service got slow. Really slow, like 50 Kbps. It wasn't prime time, so I called tech support. He agreed that it shouldn't be that slow, so he patiently asked me to unplug the modem power, wait ten seconds, and plug the modem in again.

Well, you could probably hear me blush: I had forgotten to try that. And sure enough, that fixed the speed problem. I guess when the modem re-registers for the network it gets assigned a different slot or something (I really don't know much about cellular protocols). The support rep was really nice about it.

Anyhow, that's worth remembering if you ever have problems.