XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Default Xplornet buys Ripnet

RIP

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/xplornet-co...181846012.html
Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 AM

ack!

I used to think Ripnet was a litterly a ripoff in its prices. But lately their packages and prices have come down to reasonable levels. I guess xplornet can't have that!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM

yes, I was "fairly" tempted to call up Ripnet a week or so ago, as my Xplornet connection is getting worse. Now I can see that that would have been a mistake anyway.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

For all the little wireless ISP's that are left(after Xplornet gobbles up the bigger ones), marketing will become the tool of sink or swim.

http://www.xplornet.com/news/in-the-...t-limited.aspx
Quote:
July 05, 2011
Markham, ON - Xplornet Communications Inc. (formerly Barrett Xplore Inc.), Canada's leading rural Internet service provider, is pleased to announce the acquisition of RipNET Limited. Located in the Brockville region, RipNET is an Internet service provider that operates in the eastern Ontario region that extends from Manotick to Gananoque, and as far north as Perth.

"We are delighted to welcome the RipNET customers into the Xplornet family," said John Maduri, Chief Executive Officer of Xplornet Communications Inc. "This acquisition increases our fixed wireless broadband footprint in eastern Ontario and continues our company's mission to make affordable broadband Internet services available to every rural Canadian."

This acquisition is effective immediately. However, RipNET will operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of Xplornet. RipNET's customers will continue to enjoy their current service and packages. Mr. Maduri noted that Xplornet looks forward to working with RipNET' s team. "Over the last 16 years, RipNET has built a skilled and committed team, and they bring significant expertise to Xplornet", said Maduri.

Technical support contact information, service and billing practices will remain unchanged for all RipNET customers.

"Xplornet is committed to the ensuring that fast, affordable broadband is available everywhere in Canada", said Maduri today. "This acquisition is complementary to the work we are doing to roll out 4G wireless and satellite broadband in Eastern Ontario over the next year that will give more Ontarians the opportunity to enjoy a robust broadband connection.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM

If a WISP could give a solid 3mb connection (hell, I would be happy with 1.5), with at least a 100GB cap, all at $50 a month, they would clean up. Ripnet was getting close, but now that XPlornet owns them, I bet they will go back to the 10GB throughput at $65 a month they were a year ago.
What's the point of owning a $1,700,000 Bugati, that goes 250 mph, if you are only allowed to put a gallon of gas in it?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.p View Post
If a WISP could give a solid 3mb connection (hell, I would be happy with 1.5), with at least a 100GB cap, all at $50 a month, they would clean up. Ripnet was getting close, but now that XPlornet owns them, I bet they will go back to the 10GB throughput at $65 a month they were a year ago.
What's the point of owning a $1,700,000 Bugati, that goes 250 mph, if you are only allowed to put a gallon of gas in it?
Hi Colin, where you at?

I am starting a WISP in Gananoque area, might be able to help ease your pain.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 PM

The tower I'm aimed at is on Hyndman Rd, near Mountain Ont, about 3 miles or so. A little far from Gan, I'm afraid.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Default Action required, please read me!

Hi all

Just wanted to post in reply to that Ripnet has been bought out by Xplornet .

I have decided to do something as my hubby contacted CRTC today and they said the only thing that rural internet users can do is to start a pressure group to get Bell, Rogers and Cogeco to start thinking seriously about supplying their services to rural users.i.e. Proper High Speed Internet.

So please can users on this forum "Like us" on Facebook- please find us by searching for:

"We want proper high speed internet for rural areas not wireless"

No abusive comments on the pages please, I just want to get as many people to join as possible, a bit like having an online petition. Please tell all your fellow wireless users to sign up. I intend to take this on now, I am peed off with it!!!!

Thank you!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5010 View Post
Hi Colin, where you at?

I am starting a WISP in Gananoque area, might be able to help ease your pain.
does that cover the outskirts of Athens/Charleston lake?