XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM

from what ive heard from others, if they have other frequencies available on the tower (900,3.5) then they will move you over. Whether or not they charge you to do that, i dont know. I actually do not have any first hand experience with xplornet thankfully. Jitter is the max variance you are experiencing in your SNR(signal to noise (noise being interference)) ratio. SNR is just your signal strength minus your noise floor. So if your SNR is varying between 10 and 20 for whatever time period Canopy uses to calculate, then your jitter is 10. Now if you have an excellent signal and are not far from the tower at all then you will still see good stats however what your probably having issues with is that the tower is having a great deal of trouble "hearing' your radio on your home due to all these smart meters turning on. If you imagine that anything on the 2.4 frequency are people having conversations with one another in english, the more radio power the stations have the louder their conversation is. Now your situation is that your at a bar, EVERYONE is talking loudly and youre trying to have a conversation with someone whose having 20 other conversations at the same time. If they switch you to a different frequency your conversation now is in Spanish so itll be very easy for the person to hear you being that everyone else is speaking english, they dont understand it and therefore tune it out.

that just a little analogy i use for people. In a nut shell its right

Now the reason your jitter is moving all over the place is probably because the noise floor is changing not your signal. With that said the likely cause is ALL of the smart meters coming online. They are the other people in the bar having loud conversations

Last edited by boy-you-know-who-it-is : 02-21-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: typo + added last line
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM

I am 500 feet from the tower with a clear line of sight, tonight my jitter is running between 7 to 10

so does jitter in this range slow my speed down or what?

I m pushing xplornet to do something about it, but its not going very far, but then again they have been promising an upgrade to my tower for over 3 years LOL

Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 AM

I'm an installer and also a customer. I'm 784ft from the tower with a Jitter of 0-2 on 2.4 Power Level: -60. When I first installed my internet, I was half way up my 40ft tower and I kept getting disconnected due to a bad Jitter. I then moved it to the tip of my tower and my connection is perfect with no drops. The reason for this is that the module was barley catching the signal from that close and that low.

Have you tried logging into the module and doing a Link Capacity Test under Tools?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 PM

sorry but I have no idea how to log in to the module

Thanks

Bill