XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Default Xplornet to Turbo/Rocket Hub - Plunging In

Sorry about the title, I didn't know where to begin.

First off, I am no techie - not even close. I've tried to do most of my homework however so that I'm not wasting anyone's time.

I'm coming to the end of my Xploitnet contract. On a Hughes HN9000 system. The internet is reliable, speeds 1.3 Mbps down, 134 kps up (testmy.net). But I'm sick of being restricted to the FAP. I would gladly pay extra for a monthly overage. I don't stream movies or gaming, but it would be nice to download an imbedded video once and a while without worrying!

And now considering the cellular hubs. I've read plenty of posts by the moderator, both here and on the Roger's site. Would gladly have input based on your incredible roller coaster experience!

The nearest tower (shared) is 7 km away, through brush. I get 1 to 0 bars on my iPhone4.
Bell : 850 mHz
Rogers : 850 mHz / 1900 mHz

I've read about the overheating Ericksons W35's, and the DNS dropping Netcomms. Now each provider has a 4G version to complicate matters.

Here are my questions.

1) based on reliability alone, would you take xplornet or cellular hub
2) is there any advantage to 4G over 3G?
3) does the higher mHz Roger's tower mean I would get better reception
4) I have found no reviews on the Netcomm 3G25 or Netgear MBR to say if they are better hardware than the old W35 - anyone else?

Thanks for any input, it's a big investment and I'm on the fence about moving at all.

So very confused,
CL