XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 01:23 PM

Default I love my USB stick but..

(also posted on the Rogers forum)

I'm currently trying to download my accounting software's payroll update.
My current wireless WiFi is downloading at 15 - 25 MB/s .( 2 1/2 hrs remained) My Rogers USB averaging 225 MB/s (20 minutes remaining).

I find the 5G per month very restrictive and at $50/G over prohibitively expensive so what I'm going to have to do is retain my current wireless ISP for general browsing , email etc and relegate the USB to important downloads.

What I think could be an ideal business model for Rogers would be to up the cap to 10G(it apparently used to be at that) or even lower the overage price to something reasonable (such as $10/G).

This would allow users to enjoy the internet to it's fullest for such things as banking , commerce , viewing news broadcasts ,downloading Windows security updates,Anti-virus updates etc. with subjecting it to abuse with such things as online gaming , NetFlix , excessive music downloads ,excessive UTube videos etc.

I don't think that an extra 5G/user would place much of a burden on the existing infrastructure.

It could then also become viable competition to the other rural alternatives such as satellite or wireless WiFi which can be relatively expensive to install.

Just food for thought.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM

i think that both bell and rogers purposefully are putting in prohibitive charges for going over the monthly cap (and making the monthly cap low) to prevent users from using services such a netflix so that people instead rent movies from bell and rogers instead

it's a game, pretending it's about bandwidth, when it's really about trying to force you to rent their movies and keeping their prices high without real competition like netflix
Old 06-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Did end up going witht he Hub. Cheaper and performs just as well.