XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Default I've Been banned from Rogers Comm. Forum: Things Rogers Doesn't want you to know!!!

LMFAO: Trying to find a solution for xplornet customers, think Rogers Rocket Hub may be an answer.... BUT...

Some MAJOR WARNINGS:

1: If you have the netcomm router, they have encoded your encryption password for wireless into the firmware of the router!!! They have claimed it is a random number but if you see a rogers SSID with ROGERSXXXX where XXXX = the router number... simply put 100641 XXXX and you will have access to the wireless network. Rogers has had 2 weeks to address this major security flaw and release a new firmware... but has chosen not to address this issue.. I will not be held responsible or liable for this information being misused, as Rogers has been made well aware of how it can be used/misused. Sue Rogers not me if you are a victim of identity theft etc etc.. (these first 6 numbers are my routers id... they may or may not be on yours..)

2. The Promise by Rogers reps that your first 2 months of Rogers Rocket Hub use is unlimited... yet according to the rogers community forum... they imply that you do not have free unlimited usage, instead you are not subject to a 6 gig cap... funny huh since they have no cap, you can pay a set fee up to 10 gigs and then a fee for each gig/mb afterwards.. so what they are saying on the community forums is that you will be billed for every gig/mb downloaded... combine that with the fact anyone can access your wireless network with the "FAKE/SLOPPY" encryption that is hard wired into your netcomm router could mean that you will face bills into the THOUSANDS of dollars!! Welcome to Rogers Unlimited Rocket HUB!!! WE promise unlimited usage and billing AND access to your new Rocket Hub experience by ANYONE!!

3. Do not Activate your Rogers Voicemail account... if you chose to go with home phone... you will not be able to change the 4 rings before voicemail if you do...

these are the 3 things I posted on Rogers community forums that got me banned... this forum I gave the first 6 numbers of the WPA2_PSK key that is encoded into the router that will allow ANYONE to add your 4 digit Rogers SSID number to be added to access your router.. they say to change it.. but everytime your router is reset, its the same wireless KEY to steal your identities, bank info etc etc..

The things you try to do to get internet service... help them make the customers experience better and I get shit on... well Rogers... enjoy!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM

When I got my W35 and a new cell phone, Rogers gave me unlimted data for 2 months. It was unlimited because I downloaded a lot. My cell's unlimted data expired a couple weeks ago and it was unlimted. One file I dowloaded was 11Gig and I downloaded a lot more, probably close to 50 to 80Gig per month. No extra fees. When I got the W35 earlier this year, same thing. I downloaded a lot and had no extra fees. I think people need to confirm what the person setting up their account is actually giving them. Get their name and employee number so you can go back on them if you were screwed. It took 3 reps to actually get one that knew the date my unimited data ended. If you don't like what you are being told, phone another person. Just expect the long wait.

I know these Netcomm Hubs have a lot of problems. They don't even work in my area but my W35 works fine. The W35 can change the amount of rings it takes before voice mail picks up. I can also change the SSID and password so no one knows what the provider/router is. If I restart the Hub or reset it, the SSID stays to what I set it to. If I factory restore it, the SSID goes back to the factory default.

I'm lucky because I live out in the middle of no where. My WiFi doesn't even reach the edge of my property so someone needs to be sitting in my driveway to access my Hub.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Todays Update:!

Called into Rogers Billing and inquired about why I was charged over the $35 first tier rate for the first two months, explaining I was told that about the first 2 months being unlimited... and after the girl conferred with a "supervisor", stated that in fact I was ONLY to pay the first tier rate of $35.. and a credit was applied.. an "OVERSIGHT" on rogers billing part.. yeah right! ( of course my post with one of rogers cheerleaders erroneous reply about the cap, had been deleted... and they actually PAY these people???)

So if you are a new subscriber..check your first 2 months bills.. you may (SHOULD) be entitled for a credit if you paid actual usage charges!!

I was then transferred to Rocket hub technical support to address the inability to change the number of rings before the phone goes into voicemail.. he stated its hardwired for about 19-20 seconds (4 rings) and CANNOT be changed. So we cancelled my voicemail. Problem solved!

Finally I asked about the WPA-psk security issue... wow first time he had heard of it according to him.. I gave him the numbers and how it was an issue and stated that "Yeah, it IS a pretty serious security issue" and would forward the info on to Tier 2... they are aware of the heat issues with both W35 and netcomm routers ( apparently a new version of netcomm with only 2 antenna instead of 3 MAY address this known problem).. he suggested that Rogers users should not be putting the routers near "Windows"..my suggestion is that the routers have adequate ventilation and not be put near any heat source.!!!

With all this info, it was suggested that new firmwares may be forthcoming to address issues the W35 users have been having, and the issues I pointed out with the netcomm.. one can only hope..

all in all, a pretty good day for me in getting my issues resolved and addressed with my netcomm 3G10WVR router... lets see if Rogers is actually serious about the FIRMWARE that needs to be fixed in both routers!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 PM

If anyone is interested, there is another website that has a lot of information on the Hubs.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Rogers-Rocket-Hub

There is a post somewhere in it that has a firmware available for download for the W35 Hub. If you're interested, here is the quote with the link:

Quote:
LoneWolfMuskoka 2 months ago

Hi GMC7000. Nice to have you joining the conversation!

I uploaded a firmware update yesterday that the Rogers support recommended a couple weeks back. Since that time I haven't had any issues with having to reset the unit (although it hasn't quite been a full 24 hours yet).

I'll have to wait and see if this solves that issue.

The update file is located at http://www.ericssonw35.com/firmware/w35-006-R12C00 for those of you who want to try it.
I do find it strange that the link refers to a file that is "R12C00" but my Hub says its "Application Software" is at version "CXC 172 7031 R13A (Oct 16 2009)". I would think R13C would be more recent than R12C00.

Personally, my Hub is working just fine. We have no problems with the phone or data. I haven't had to reboot the Hub in months now. I'll be leaving mine alone. "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".
Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 AM

I'm lucky because I live out in the middle of no where. My WiFi doesn't even reach the edge of my property so someone needs to be sitting in my driveway to access my Hub.[/quote]

I wouldn't be too trusting just because you live in the middle of nowhere because all someone has to do is get their hand on a high powered 802.11 radio, at a cost of $20.00 used, and they can see your router with it from 15 km away. You can also easily make a larger antenna for your laptop to do the same thing.

Other than that quote I think your post was very helpful for me.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafton-one View Post
I wouldn't be too trusting just because you live in the middle of nowhere because all someone has to do is get their hand on a high powered 802.11 radio, at a cost of $20.00 used, and they can see your router with it from 15 km away. You can also easily make a larger antenna for your laptop to do the same thing.
I'm not worried at all. My neighbor, accross the road, has an open router and uses Xplornet. If anyone wants Internet, they can access his. I don't use the Rocket Hub as a wireless router anyway. Mine is connected to another, more advance wireless router that I have the white list and encryption enabled. It's also set up to not broadcast the SSID. I know security isn't the best but anyone wanting to access my system will need to work a bit to use it. Since there is an open wifi accross the road, I don't think anyone will waste their time trying.