XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Default TELUS Wireless Connect 33 5 GB plan (Grandfathered)

I have a plan with Telus called "TELUS Wireless Connect 33 5 GB"

It's not a public plan, it actually never existed for wireless clients.
This was a plan they would give to clients in rural areas that had Telus dialup and were calling in to cancel because a new wireless high speed option (like xplornet) became available in their area but there was no ADSL access. They would offer those clients this plan to encourage them to stay with Telus and use a data stick/aircard instead.

What the plan offers:
Price: $33+6.95saf=$39.95/mo (No 911 fees)
5GB included data
$10/GB over 5GB to a maximum of 20GB with a hard cap

I have added the $5/mo VPN access bundle feature to get a public IP for PPTP VPN compatibility. Normally you are given a private IP behind the Telus NAT firewall but I do lots of VPN work so needed the public IP. (They have Static IP option too but you need to be on a large corporate account to get it)

I have it on a SIM card using the Sierra Wireless 306USB aircard and I also use a Cradlepoint router to turn this into a wired Ethernet or WiFi connection.

Now I'm thinking of getting rid of the plan, I'm not using it as much as I used to. If anyone is interested in offering me something to take it over let me know.

It's actually cheaper than the Telus smarthub plans at some usage points. (cheaper at below 7GB and cheaper at above 18GB). Both plans are supposed to cut off at 20GB though it's unclear if they actually stop working or you just get a letter in the mail telling you to get lost if you exceed the limit.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 PM

That is not bad.. except I use about 20gb a month on average so this plan would be useless to me. My issue with all of these wireless products offered from Robulus (Thanks Wind) is the extremely low cap of 5gb. Its Pathetic really.

Soon Xplornet will be entering with the band of low cap over chargers. The joy of rural internet I guess.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 PM

No doubt 5GB isn't going to be great as a primary connection. But it's about all there is for mobile wireless plans that actually work outside of the city. Not really anything else available in that category. The hub plans have some higher limits but also they restrict those plans to only being sold with a hub style device. You cannot get those plans on just a SIM card or mobile stick unless you have a hub device registered on that line first. (You should be able to swap the SIM to another device on Telus, not sure if Rogers or Bell filters the IMEI of your hardware on their version of the hub plans but Telus currently doesn't force you to keep using the hub after the plan is provisioned)

Even if Wind/mobilicity/public mobile was setup in a city near you it's only going to work inside the city. Outside you pay extra and likely only get Edge speeds on the type of equipment they are using.

This could be a good add on option for someone who is stuck with satellite access as their other option. Satellite for some download activity and mobile stick for lower latency interactive applications. I know I could not get some applications to work on satellite connections. Some VPN protocols time out or are blocked by the network setup on satellite links.