XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Main Category > Xplornet Wireless Tower Forum (Motorola equipment) * (old network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinp View Post
Summary:

Negatives:
- tech support (almost) never calls back
- tech support only seems to be available 9-5
- network status pages seem to only be updated after the fact, if at all
- my internet constantly slows to a crawl - like 0.01Mbps, I'll call in and in a few days might be fixed, only to go down again a few days after that
- might also be the case that they don't have enough tech support guys and they just plain don't have time
- expensive

Positives:
- when everything is working I was getting a solid 3.3Mbps, Both ways!
- very fast ping (11ms sometimes in speedtest!)
- they did credit 50% on my account for issues last month - though having said that, I'd rather pay even more and be able to count on internet working
- decent (for fixed wireless) caps - think i'm at 60GB, break it into 4- which can be + or - depending on how you use your internet

Maybe my connection is the exception, in which case Airnet would be excellent, but from my experience they've really dropped the ball...still hoping it'll get fixed and just stay fixed (as it worked okay for Dec/Jan).
Seems to me you want 5 nines service??????
Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 AM

Platinum Communications

Location, Lacombe Alberta

Testmynet - 367 kpbs down

average ping to google.ca - 50 milliseconds

speedtest.net using edmonton terabyte server - 1560 kbps down/700 kbps up

speedtest.net using calgary platinum server - 2400 kbps down/700 kbps up

pingtest.net - 0% packet loss, average pin 92 ms, average jitter 107 ms, overall score - D, MOS score 3.76

I have a 5.7 Ghz canopy radio aimed at a tower 7 miles away with clear line of sight and power level -72. This test through an older dlink router which has an average latancy of 2 ms.

I've been told that there is a congestion issue with the fibre provider, Bell and that the capacity will be increased soon. Hopefully my latancy gets better then. Ping VS Speed. Kinda like Torque VS Speed with a car. People want torque, I want low consistent ping times. That makes webpage loading better and VOIP calls clearer.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Look elsewhere for an ISP in Northumberland

I'm new here. Just found this forum today by typing "Airnet.ca sucks" into google search.
I'd have to say, based on my own experience with Airnet.ca, that it's amazing they've stayed in business as long as they have. If all their customers have had even 1/2 the problems I've had with them, there must be a lot of internet masochists in Northumberland County. In short, their system is almost always breaking down. There are stretches where it works for days, even weeks at a time, but they're few & far between. Try doing anything on a Saturday morning, for instance. Down almost every week. I don't mean the system is slow from many users online, I mean it's just not working, or working sporadically. Up, down, up down. I feel like they're having sex with me and I'm getting zero thrills out of it. And... because it's a Saturday, don't bother calling customer service, because they don't work Saturdays. I'm sorry I ever heard of these guys. But I'm REALLY sorry I signed a 3 year contract with them.
I could tell you more, but I think I'll skip a few of the details lest someone from Airnet is here and they really zero in on who I am.
Customer service is minimal. 9-5, sometimes. Not always. Billing problem? The "Billing Dept" only works 1 or 2 days / month and it's never the day you call with a problem, so once they have your money, you aren't getting any of it back even if you've been down days / weeks at a time. Leaving a message for billing is like telling the wind to stop. Kinda useless...
If you're a downloader of music / movies, forget it. You won't get much using these guys. They seem to have the torrent sites blocked so that you either can't download, or if you do, it's only for a few minutes, then you get shut out. I've been trying to download a free & legal file of old time radio shows from the 1920's & '30's for weeks now. All shows now in the public domain. But these guys have me pretty much blocked from getting them, even tho it's legal. Fortunately I have another source for that. But $50 a month for filtered internet? No thanks...
If you're in Northumberland, try another ISP. Even Bell, if they have high speed in your neighbourhood yet. They do in mine now and as much as I hate the English-as-a-2nd/3rd/4th-language operators, their service has gotta be better than what I'm getting now. Cheaper too.
If you're reading this from Northumberland... and are seriously thinking about signing on with these guys, remember, you were warned!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not An Airnet Fan View Post
I'm new here. Just found this forum today by typing "Airnet.ca sucks" into google search.
I'd have to say, based on my own experience with Airnet.ca, that it's amazing they've stayed in business as long as they have. If all their customers have had even 1/2 the problems I've had with them, there must be a lot of internet masochists in Northumberland County. In short, their system is almost always breaking down. There are stretches where it works for days, even weeks at a time, but they're few & far between. Try doing anything on a Saturday morning, for instance. Down almost every week. I don't mean the system is slow from many users online, I mean it's just not working, or working sporadically. Up, down, up down. I feel like they're having sex with me and I'm getting zero thrills out of it. And... because it's a Saturday, don't bother calling customer service, because they don't work Saturdays. I'm sorry I ever heard of these guys. But I'm REALLY sorry I signed a 3 year contract with them.
I could tell you more, but I think I'll skip a few of the details lest someone from Airnet is here and they really zero in on who I am.
Customer service is minimal. 9-5, sometimes. Not always. Billing problem? The "Billing Dept" only works 1 or 2 days / month and it's never the day you call with a problem, so once they have your money, you aren't getting any of it back even if you've been down days / weeks at a time. Leaving a message for billing is like telling the wind to stop. Kinda useless...
If you're a downloader of music / movies, forget it. You won't get much using these guys. They seem to have the torrent sites blocked so that you either can't download, or if you do, it's only for a few minutes, then you get shut out. I've been trying to download a free & legal file of old time radio shows from the 1920's & '30's for weeks now. All shows now in the public domain. But these guys have me pretty much blocked from getting them, even tho it's legal. Fortunately I have another source for that. But $50 a month for filtered internet? No thanks...
If you're in Northumberland, try another ISP. Even Bell, if they have high speed in your neighbourhood yet. They do in mine now and as much as I hate the English-as-a-2nd/3rd/4th-language operators, their service has gotta be better than what I'm getting now. Cheaper too.
If you're reading this from Northumberland... and are seriously thinking about signing on with these guys, remember, you were warned!

I am an Airnet customer as well. For the most part my experience has not been the same as yours. I have been a customer for 5 years now and my outages are short and far between and always getting better with time like a fine wine rather than the sex thing. I would call them and tell them your problem and get them to fix it or tell you why it won't work. They seem to be very honest about their strengths and weaknesses.

I am on the silver plan with Airnet and my wife watches her soaps online every day. I also watch cartoons online everyday with my kids as many years ago now i got rid of my satelite tv and went with an antenna. Which, by the way works very well. We only miss some programming but we watch it on demand from the broadcasters websites online.

How long has bell been raping us through our tax dollars and hidden service fees for services and expansions that have never happened. That would go for all the big guys that rely on our tax dollars to survive.

Do you call when you are having a problem with Airnet? When was the last time you called? I have called on a Saturday with a problem and left a message and my problem was seen to. I have also sent emails regarding intermittent problems, even on the weekend, and received a tech support response. Do you know what tower of theirs you connect to? I connect to one of the Grafton towers.

As far as your torrent problem, did you not read your service agreement? It is in there so I have never tried to use them. I would suspect that most torrent downloads are illegal and the ones that are legal are posted on regular web sites as well as far as I can tell.

I have personally never had to deal with the billing department so that is news to me as well. It, although, was my understanding that Airnet is a small private company and as such may be a result of their billing problem. NO government hand outs from our tax dollars has ever been given unlike a certain company we all know. We should all be against government spending so we can have our taxed lowed and not raised...(GST, HST.............)

If you want to, you could write a script and submit it to Airnet tech support for their techs to read to you when a customer calls like the 24 hr tech services you call in India for Bell. Not real tech support just another frustrating experience.

In short I would say, by my experience with Airnet and the experience from my friends with Xplornet, stay with Airnet in Northumberland. My friend has Xplornet in Baltimore and that tower has been down for over 3 months with no end to the outage in site.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not An Airnet Fan View Post
I am about a 4 year customer with Airnet.ca, and want to address a few of your issues.

1 - Down time, has been next to nothing in the last 2 years. I honestly can't remember the last time it was down for more then a few hours. However, on the topic of down time. The nature of the technology they use tells you that there WILL be down time. And it may have NOTHING to do with you. A simple power outage in another town, where a repeater you are connected to, will cause all links after to go out. Again, nothing can be done to avoid it. This is not copper wire here, this is a wireless signal bounced from tower to tower.

2 - As for torrents, they clearly state in the contract, they are NOT SUPPORTED. Legal files or copyright. If they want to block them, and declare it in the contract, you have no leg to stand on. You signed it.

3 - As for trying another ISP, well what are the choices? Bell only has dial up in rural Northumberland, we are posting on a site dedicated to how "xplornet sucks". No cable companies to speak of, as there is no cable technology north of Dale Road.

Frankly, in my experience, and the experience of many, many others. Airnet.ca is the ONLY way to go for affordable, reliable broadband Internet in rural Northumberland.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 AM

I was hoping that "Not an Airnet Fan" would come back and finish his comment. I guess he must be one of those guys who has a bad day and can't handle it.

I am a long time Airnet Customer who thinks Airnet in Northumberland County is the way to go. I keep an eye on this forum to see how things are going in Northumberland as I can't get answers from my County elected officials. They are obviously hiding the fact that they wasted all of our tax dollars again. I hear Xplornet has their largest subscribed tower here only putting out 200kbps max to those customers and it has been like this for over 3 months now.

How can "Not an Airnet Fan", in good conscience, tell people to go to any other rural provider, the only other one being Xplornet, when he has never used the service and does not know how crappy it has been. I know from first hand experience with my friends connections. I know a guy connected to that tower that is down and it really sucks.

I also know other people that were installed in the winter and are now not working at all. What are these Xplornet customers supposed to do? I really feel that Xplornet deployed here in the winter on purpose to get as many customers as they could before the leaved came on the trees. Now my neighbour and friends are basically out of luck. They were all waiting for the "All Wonderful County Sponsored Internet". Well its here and it sucks.

I am a fan of Airnet because it just works and works great for me. I am here writing because I want more people to sign up with them because I feel the bigger Airnet gets the better the service will be. I mean it is my long time experience with them that the bigger they have gotten so far the better they have gotten so far. They have also gotten faster, larger throughput limits and cheaper prices continually over the years with no government hand outs so far. I mean their installs and service plans are cheaper than Xplornet already with a shorter contract term!

My friends told me that Xplornet charges so many extras that you could not possible get the basic install fee anyway. Also Xplornet advertised unlimited service which is not true as buried in their website it says they are not unlimited. They also advertise 5 meg service which is actually 0.9 meg service if your tower actually works.

I am long winded but I am tired of my friends, neighbours and I being screwed by our officials every turn and these companies they associate themselves with like Bell and too many others to list.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Default My ISP

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 1739 Kbps about 1.7 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)
Download Speed is:: 212 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2010-08-22 18:57:51 GMT
Bottom Line:: 30X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.83 sec
Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 14.436 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : You are running at 104% of your hosts average (megawire.com)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-IQ63E17OL&
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.0.30729) [!]

Mod edit: Adding ISP link.
http://www.megawire.ca/

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 08-22-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add ISP link
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Grey Bruce Telecom
Owen Sound, ON

Speedtest.net Results
-9.31Mb/s download
-2.36 Mb/s upload

Average ping to google.ca
-10ms

Pingtest.net Results
-0% packet loss
-18ms ping
-2ms jitter

I do work for this company, which helps to explain my speeds. I am very satisfied though. I was with Everus whose ping was 75ms or greater all the time, now I have less than 20ms for most things and I'm only a few hops from a 100Mbit fiber connection.