XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Question question for "new" Hughesnet ka band users about un-enforced FAP

There have been a few threads on DSLreports in the past couple of months,
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r248...APd-in-1-minut
And Hughesnet in the States is doing an automatic instant refill of the "new" users FAP bucket when they hit FAP. And the "new" user does not get FAPped.
So the "new" user can do all sorts of higher bandwidth type activities and not get slowed down.
For how long the FAP is not enforced is not posted, and the instant FAP refill for "new" users is not published by hughesnet, but there is the 30 day guarantee period with Hughesnet in the States.

Is this happening with Hughesnet KA band in Canada as well?

http://consumer.hughesnet.com/faq/fa...ess-policy.cfm

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 09-26-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Noted from this post,
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24903785-
That new users are not being FAPped for a few days from install, due to many computer updates being needed, from being on dialup for so many years.

Some have also noted that if you are a bandwidth hog during your first few days of FAP free daytime(not the overnight FAP free time), you may end up being hit with a more severe FAP(heavier throttle than others) after 30 days, due to your bandwidth habits.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 10-08-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:53 PM

I upgraded my service a few months ago from the 500Kbit to the one Mbit and noticed that the first month I was able to get 20G using the free time over night but since then I am down to 2 or 3G total for the month. I have freeware on my router to see and track actual traffic. Also not sure if it is relevant I have noticed in the last 2 months the service is much more consistent at the one Mbit download speed where as before I was lucky to average 500Kbit/sec. Has the legislation caught up with them?

xplornet, telsat, 1 Mbps package

myxplornet test speeds 90% of the time; 205 kbps down and 20kbps - 40kbps up. I have a 16yo in the house, we live in the FAP zone. 50,000kb and we are fapped. 10 Gb / month max

no alternative, no regulation, no one to complain to
Old 10-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup View Post
I upgraded my service a few months ago from the 500Kbit to the one Mbit and noticed that the first month I was able to get 20G using the free time over night but since then I am down to 2 or 3G total for the month. I have freeware on my router to see and track actual traffic. Also not sure if it is relevant I have noticed in the last 2 months the service is much more consistent at the one Mbit download speed where as before I was lucky to average 500Kbit/sec. Has the legislation caught up with them?
Are you still on Telesat(as in signature)? Ah yes, that first month of extra bandwidth. Interesting that an upgrade gave you extra GB's.
I suppose there could be some people going to Hughesnet KA band and that would slowly free up bandwidth on the Telesat birds. Based on spotbeam concentrations.
Will be interesting when the new ViaSat1 gets in operation. Installers will be happy with all the sudden work of changeovers to faster speed, but still 600ms pings minimum.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM

I am most curious about the increased consisitency in bandwdth as of the last two months. Did legislation do that?

xplornet, telsat, 1 Mbps package

myxplornet test speeds 90% of the time; 205 kbps down and 20kbps - 40kbps up. I have a 16yo in the house, we live in the FAP zone. 50,000kb and we are fapped. 10 Gb / month max

no alternative, no regulation, no one to complain to