XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Default Internet radio device on Xplornet sat service

Question,

I have a Myine Ira internet radio device. It is great since we are so remote we don't get much regular radio. All this device does is, (without the computer) contact URLs from streaming sources such as on line radio stations. When the device works, it works great. The problem is that quite often, when you try to "tune" to a new "station" the device will try to connect, and eventually it will give a notice "network timeout". There are no user controls on the device and all attempts of Myine tech support have not solved it. I have also spoken to linksys about router configuration to no avail.

It seems like the problem is exacerbated during "prime time" when it would seem that usage is high. My ping times at the time run everywhere from ~600ms to 1100 ms, and my down load speeds are ~.960mps and my up load is ~125 mps.

One final note is, I can access all these URLs just fine from the PC. The reason I don't use the PC is that we are on solar power, and the Myine IRA draws only ~5 watts complete (and it wires into the stereo) while the PC draws ~50 watts.

Anybody have any genius ideas out there?

Icarus
Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Might their support know if the device has a 'time limit' to the 'handshake' to get a station streaming?
So with the high ping, it could take, lets say, 10 seconds or more to initiate a stream. Would the unit then stop the station request at a ten second limit?
Or something like the handshake is too long a delay on the transmit and receive for the unit to consider starting a stream?

Or when there is a high ping from a busy satellite network, how long does it take the computer to connect to and run a radio stream? As a base line for the more powerful computer as the time delay to stream.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 09-12-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:47 PM

XP,
Thanks for you input.

The tech guy didn't really have a handle on how much ping time the device could handle. That has been my thought all along. He commented that they have many customers in the States who use Wildblue successfully and I know that the ping times there rival Xplornet's.

Sometime the device will "time out" in a few seconds, other times it takes several minutes. When it does connect it usually does it within ~ 30 seconds, but sometimes it can be several minutes. All this leads me to think perhaps it is not ping time?

Once again, thanks for all ideas, I will share them with the tech guy tomorrow, although I am not sure how savvy he is on the tech side. There are very few configurable elements with the device, most having to do with connecting to the LAN.

Icarus

PS Do you know how to ping the Xplornet gateway server so I can see if the latency is between me and the NOC or if Xplornet is jamming it up down the line?

Last edited by icarus : 09-12-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
XP,

PS Do you know how to ping the Xplornet gateway server so I can see if the latency is between me and the NOC or if Xplornet is jamming it up down the line?

As far as I know, the gateways are not pingable(unless maybe from your end?), but you could plug direct to the satellite modem and then , cmd , ipconfig , to see the gateway number. But Xplornet has some type of firewall that drops packets, from outside the network sources, that are considered to take up bandwidth on the network.
MMS streams are considered a virus and are blocked.
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forums/...read.php?t=638

pm sent with a traced IP to you. It is the last IP before the last two hops are not pingable(no answer). So you can ping at least one of Xplornets nodes.

-----------------------------------------

Can you turn off wireless 'B' on your router and just leave wireless 'G' on? Maybe thats an issue? The specs show the thing likes just a wireless 'G' signal. And could possibly have issues if it were to switch over to wireless 'B', for whatever reason. But then that would not account for primetime issues.