XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 01:41 AM

Arrow More Funding for Xploitnet in Eastern Ontario? (EORN Fiber backbone expansion)

Heard a brief news clip on the radio and xplornot's name was mentioned as well as Bell. Neither articles that I found mention xplornot, but rest assured they got their hands in on this.

http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleD...aspx?e=2737172

and

http://www.quintenews.com/2010/08/br...-trilliumwood/

Nice to see the comments left at the bottom of the second article, warning people of the pathetic service they will receive if they sign up for xplornot.

Last edited by Killdozer99 : 09-01-2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: link not working
Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Sounds like they are putting in a fiber based backbone structure(like Alberta's supernet) that will have various methods of connections to the users, like DSL or wireless or some will still be stuck on satellite.
So it could mean good news for some of the high bandwidth lacking backbones that are out there now.

http://216.168.98.134/
Quote:
EORN will be built on:

* A high-capacity Gigabit Ethernet fibre backbone transport ring;

* An access, or last mile, component; and

* Access to satellite service for those who cannot, for reasons of low population density or difficult terrain, easily connect to any other type of broadband service.

Meanwhile that illegal tax that was on our phone lines to make sure that VOIP providers could flourish. Has now been ordered by the CRTC to be used and rebates to be also given back to the users.
Bell has been blocking the release in order to avoid the 'rebate' part. And the CRTC has also said that Bell can not just use cellular wireless as the high speed upgrade to users. Wireline DSL only.
As far as I know, Telus will also get it's share of the money to use for more DSL to unserved communities(Telus not named in the article) and rebate the rest to their Users.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100831/wr_nm/us_crtc august 31 2010.

Quote:
.....Canada's established telecom companies must spend more than half of a C$770 million ($727 million) fund kept in escrow to expand broadband Internet to rural and remote communities and return the remainder to urban customers, the communications regulator said on Tuesday......

.....The rollout of broadband will be due within four years and the rebate must be paid within six months, the CRTC said.

"Subscribers of the major telephone companies in urban areas will enjoy a rebate on their home telephone service," the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said.....

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 09-01-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:49 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Xplornet not happy about another provider possibly coming in to take their customers away.
Seems familiar....... Other local ISP's that were denied rural Broadband funds and Xplornet moved into the local ISP's areas, taking their customers away.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1199282
Quote:
....... C.J. Prudham, chief legal officer for Barrett Xplore, says the decision provides Bell with cash to enter Barrett Xplore's territory in Ontario and Quebec.

"The CRTC is granting money to Bell from urban subsidization to overbuild our existing footprint in the southern Ontario and Quebec area," she said in an interview.

According to Prudham, the CRTC verdict gives Bell $5,000 per household to serve 61,000 "supposedly unserved households."

The reality, she says, is that over 60 per cent of those households are already served, mainly by Barrett Xplore.

So, there is no need for Bell to receive money to provide a service that Barrett Xplore, and others, already provides, she said. As well, Prudham said Barrett Xplore and other firms could provide high-speed Internet to the remaining 40 per cent of households more quickly than Bell..............

Edit: I should add that Xplornet really wanted part of the broadband escrow money. But the CRTC decision is fair, for once.
http://www.xplornet.com/news/in-the-...l-account.aspx

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 09-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 AM

Thanks for digging around for more on this story xplornetsuck.

Poor ol' xploitnet is pissed because now they know they will have to actually compete with another big company instead of running smaller isp's out of town or flat out buying them out. Now they will have to actually compete and offer urban like speeds at urban like prices. HAHA in your face. I really hope that Bell does run the lines on my road as satellite is my only option and it is pathetic. I pay $50 plus tax for 512kbps. My dad who lives less then 10 minutes away pays 30 some dollars for 2mbps with Bell. Yeah real urban like speeds and pricing xplornot!!! The real sad part is that Bell has high speed lines running 1/2 km away from the end of my road and those lines run all the way out to nowhere but real country living. Meanwhile I live on a fairly populated road that is developing larger every year.

I love all the whining xplornot does in their press release on their site!

Edit: Just like to add that I went to the xplornet website and noticed they are not offering any 512kbps packages for the satellite for my postal code. They are just offering Basic and kazoom both 1mbps packages...odd!

Last edited by Killdozer99 : 09-02-2010 at 12:44 AM.