XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Default New to the forum and need some advice

Hello all! I've been with xplorenet for almost 2 years now and it is getting worse and worse and the costumer support is not helping at all. To cancel my contract they want 450 $!!! I'm not willing to pay for it.
What is the best way to get out of the contract? I already contacted Manitoba family affairs and consumer affairs ( they haven't responded yet). I've read a few posts that people managed to get out of the contract without any problem ( since I'm relatively young 21) I have no idea where to start nor do I know what I should do? The costumer service insists that I need to pay the 450$ regardless of the service I received. And according to internet speed test sides I'm missing out on 30%. I confronted them with it but they assured me that this must be wrong and I should use there site instead. . . So could you give me any advise how to handle this? please and thank you for your responses
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

What part of the service are you on? Package and satellite(hughesnet KA or KU. Telesat KA).

The 30% slower number has to do with Testmy.net showing that others are faster than your tested speed. So it could be package based or just your NOC/Gateway is over-subscribed and is maxed out in user connections, causing the slowdown.
Post a speed test. Primetime(5pm to 10pm) and one during regular hours. It will show how slow the system is getting for your part of the system.

Xplornets speed test only shows speed between your dish and the NOC/gateway, and may not account for access to the Internet.
Internal test? = Great speed. Internet based test? = Real Internet speeds. And the Internet is what you purchased access to.

Cancellation fee is, months remaining on contract times $25 or maximum $450.
http://www.xplornet.com/legal/xplorn...agreement.aspx
Quote:
, to receive from you the lesser of the two amounts: $25 multiplied by the number of full months remaining in the non-cancelable initial term, as specified on your signed Service Agreement or change of Service Form, or a one time charge of $450.

Issues with Xplornet needing to comply with the CRTC rulings and making a easy to see link to the throttling policy.
http://www.xplornet.com/legal/xplorn...nt-policy.aspx
The policy was never in print form(word of mouth only) before about Nov 2009.
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1004
So you end up with Advertising issues. 'Up to' is a fancy term for "you might get this speed, but in some areas/spot beams you may not. Or throttling(not in print until about Nov 2009) may slow you down by a lot."
And really, "what is the slowest speed for your package?" Not in print either.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/719.nsf/eng/h_00001.html
Quote:
Broadband is defined as a minimum 1.5Mbps.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/sitt/bbmap/hm.html?lng=eng
Quote:
If the following tool is not accessible to you, please contact us for assistance.
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/720.nsf/eng/h_50009.html
Quote:
Contact Us

Broadband Canada: Connecting Rural Canadians
Industry Canada
300 Slater Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0C8
Canada

Online: broadband @ ic.gc.ca
Telephone: 1-800-575-9200

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 07-29-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 PM

I'm on a 3 year plan with Tele Sat and the one for 1000 speed? Sorry for not being so knowledgeable since I'm very new to all of this
but here is my result from testmy.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your connection is: 284 Kbps or 0.3 Mbps
You downloaded at: 35 kB/s
You are running: 5 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 29.26 second(s)
Member Ident: CompID:88616890888
Test Time:: 2010-07-30 02:51:28 GMT
Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.10) Gecko/20100504 AskTbFXTV5/3.8.0.12304 Firefox/3.5.10
Test ID: T1RKV9EOB (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)
Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : You are only running at 65% of your hosts average (33.137)
This was tested from a 507 kB file and took 14.617 seconds to complete
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope this helps in any way

edit: Is it even possible for me to get them to cancel my subscription without paying the 450$? For me it is really allot since my income is quite low and how would I even start? Would it better for me to contact directly and claim the violate against the terms of agreement or should I rather contact consumer protection? I was very naive in believing that this was a good company. The guy who installed the dish claimed that he never had any problem with this company and everything is super fast. I moved from the city to the country because I like living a more relaxed life without any neighbors or noise from the streets. The other problem is that I download allot and I like to play my MMO's. I managed to play WoW ( sometimes having huge lags ) and playing warhammer online ( which worked quite decent if you can think 3 sec ahead then everyone else due lag) I haven't played shooters in 2 years and many other games. (I'm quite a big gamer . . .and grew up with games) I hope that I can switch to a wireless company my neighbor is using ( what you would consider a neighbor in the middle of nowhere) and he says its reliable, fast and he can play games online without problems and its half as expensive. So I hope you guys could push me in the right directions and give me some advice in handling this matter since I really do not know where to start or even what to do since I'm a bit of a coward. I appreciate any help or advice you guys could help me to solve this matter ( I already apologize for broken English since English is my 4th language) and thank you very much again for your replies

Last edited by khorne1989 : 07-29-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Looks like 'primetime slowdown'. IF your upload test is about 125Kbps in speed, your dish should be in proper alignment.

I don't know how many of the Telesat spot beams are sold out at this time. Just enter a postal code at Xplornet for your area and if it does not offer a Telesat package( a 'KA'- package), it is sold out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anik F2 Spot Beams.jpg (41.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 PM

they offer the lite basic basic and "elite" package whatever that is what costs 159 monthly. I do not see a tele sat package thought. My internet used to be alright in the beginning but the past 6 months its horrible ( that's about the time when I started watching this forum)

edit: My upload speed seems to be alright

I was looking at the link; http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/lt100122e.htm and was wondering if this is still on? If yes is it possible to get out of the contract using this?

Last edited by khorne1989 : 07-30-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Linux Member

Another good test to perform: try a testmy.net speed test at 2 A.M. Or even 6 A.M. if you're an early riser. That's well outside the "prime time" period and should give you a good indication of how well your hardware is performing.

If you get good speeds at 2 or 6 A.M. and lousy speeds in the evening, then your hardware is ok and it's just the "primetime slowdown" (congestion due to heavy use) that is causing your problem.

If you are two years into a three-year contract, your cancellation fee should be only 12 months * $25 = $300. But you don't have to pay that all at once. Instead, you can ask them to put your system on "seasonal suspension" and they'll only bill you $25 per month. This is what they do for people who have cottages that are vacant six months out of the year.

Suppose you're paying $159 per month. And suppose your neighbor with the wireless system is paying $80 per month. If you switch to wireless, for the first 12 months you'll be paying $105/month ($80 for wireless and $25 for your suspended Xplornet). After that you'll be paying $80 per month. Either way you're saving money over what you have now.

Don't tell Xplornet you're cancelling; just tell them that you need to suspend service for a while. There's a service charge (I think it's $25) to resume your satellite service, but you won't need to worry about that.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM

I guess that will do for now since 25$ is affordable, now I just have to find the right wireless provider, thx again