XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
MAC Address of Registered SM: ********
SNR Deviation: -1.42
Actual SNR: 14.2
Actual Power Level: -20
Target SNR: 15.62
GPS Latitude: ********
GPS Longitude: ********

P.S. I'd be curious to know what the "Actual Power Level" number represents. I'd expect this is decibels relative to some reference level, but without knowing that reference level, the number doesn't say much.
This information is in a e-mail that xplornet sends you
Old 06-20-2008, 04:34 AM
Linux Member

Yes, the numbers I posted are in the Install report, but the definition of those numbers is not. "Actual Power Level" might just have well been called "Oomph Factor."
Old 10-30-2008, 10:15 PM

also ask the installer to give you GPS coordinates measured while he is AT your location, NOT just the coordinates that Xplornet gave him

or get a GPS device so you can read them yourself

I suspect that Xplornet has purchased a GPS database and those figures may not be the same as real world measured coordinates

it can make a difference with reception for satellite
Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
also ask the installer to give you GPS coordinates measured while he is AT your location, NOT just the coordinates that Xplornet gave him

or get a GPS device so you can read them yourself

I suspect that Xplornet has purchased a GPS database and those figures may not be the same as real world measured coordinates

it can make a difference with reception for satellite
Xplornet does not give the Installer Lat's and Long's We have to input them when we precommision the modem
Old 11-03-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installerguy View Post
Xplornet does not give the Installer Lat's and Long's We have to input them when we precommision the modem
my point was that customers should either ask installer for lats and longs read directly onsite or customers should read themselves

so to compare with Xplornet to see how their db of long/lat compares to real world readings
Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
my point was that customers should either ask installer for lats and longs read directly onsite or customers should read themselves

so to compare with Xplornet to see how their db of long/lat compares to real world readings
I read something the other week about how an installer had the wrong reading(Long/Lat) for a location and the install speeds were bad(good enough lock on the satellite though). It had to do with being on the edge/overlap of two beams and going with the wrong one, since the customers area on the official location chart did not coincide with where the customers actual location was. More of a problem in the States with this, with smaller beam footprints..
There is a review on DSL reports that just got posted about where the users dish was pointed at the wrong satellite(KU band I am guessing). And the usual bullshit support answer to a "Don't know why you are so slow", in the first paragraph.

called tech support and was told that I had used too much bandwidth and was being cut back for the next 24 hours

still didn't get any help as they said my router, which they installed, was the issue

tech that came out was the only competent person I dealt with

http://www.dslreports.com/comment/1678/71312
Old 08-30-2009, 11:10 PM

you dont need the installer to give you the lat and longs of your location, just go to google maps and try to 'find directions' to a blank spot in a field near your house
Old 09-12-2009, 01:30 AM

nothing better than measuring the on site with a GPS device
Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Default My "interesting" Rockwood installation

We were hooked up with Xplornet Satellite about a year ago now, and the installer (from a local TV sales shop) came out to perform the installation. Here's the thing. We live in a forested area, and I was pretty sure that you need good line of sight, but he installed in fairly low on the back of our hourse (ie: between the first and second floor) and he claimed that the fact that the signal "passed through a few trees" wouldn't make any significant difference. I have since had to go out and cut down a few trees to improve the reception, but I've still noticed that our signal has significantly degraded since the initial installation. I'm thinking this could be some sort of alignment issue (i.e.: things expand/contract in warm/cld weather)...would this be enough to throw out the signal alignment? Is it recommended (or not) that I can play around with the alignment myself or should I simply pay the $$$ to have someone come out and realign or reinstall the dish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 PM
....Offline..Moderator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexxo View Post
We were hooked up with Xplornet Satellite about a year ago now, and the installer (from a local TV sales shop) came out to perform the installation. Here's the thing. We live in a forested area, and I was pretty sure that you need good line of sight, but he installed in fairly low on the back of our hourse (ie: between the first and second floor) and he claimed that the fact that the signal "passed through a few trees" wouldn't make any significant difference. I have since had to go out and cut down a few trees to improve the reception, but I've still noticed that our signal has significantly degraded since the initial installation. I'm thinking this could be some sort of alignment issue (i.e.: things expand/contract in warm/cld weather)...would this be enough to throw out the signal alignment? Is it recommended (or not) that I can play around with the alignment myself or should I simply pay the $$$ to have someone come out and realign or reinstall the dish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Satellite needs a clear signal to perform well. Tree's in the way would make a crappy signal.
I am guessing he mounted the dish in between levels, so the bolts would go into the rim joist solidly. And not have a chance of the dish moving if the bolts went into some thin plywood.

You can do the 'push/pull' test with the dish. You do the speed test's outside of primetime(5pm to 10pm), so you have full speeds.
Do a initial speed test to have a base line speed. And then slightly push on the dish and do a speed test and note the speed change. then pull on the dish and note any change in speed. So you have side to side and up and down as the tweaks to see if any speed change.