XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > If your computer seems to be broke? Fix it.
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Default too many ports

I was told the same thing by an online techy I finally had to call the installer who came to my home. After trying every test and even running new cable from the dish it was found that the modem was faulty.Your modem is generating thousands of error reports which is seriously cutting your down load speed. HughsNet charges $285. for this piece of junk. Plus $125/hr install. I never reached the speeds I paid for and this slow speed really got bad once the warranty was up.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM

The Canopy SM will only handle 2000 open ports (of the 65,000 that are available) so your torrents are probably causing the problem. Even though you are limiting the torrents to 130 sessions, I'm guessing that a session is probably using more than one port.

Disable all torrents for one day (I know this hurts) and see if your timeout problem disappears. There could be other issues with your connection so this action (one full day of no torrents) would at least guide you in the troubleshooting process.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM

i took my computer to my brothers house and connected to his internet and my computer was working fine i had no issues with too many ports opened. then i brought my computer home and when i was browsing with no torrents running for 2 or 3 days i still get sporadic internet time outs. i called to complain and they keep telling me its my computer. They said again that i have 200 something ports open when i wasn't browsing or anything. So the tech said i have a virus or something. i've been running ever kind of virus scan spyware scan malware scan adaware scan i dont know what could be causing this. i am just wondering if i had my computer working fine at my brothers how can it not be okay at home. I keep insisting that its on there end and they keep telling me as long as it shows i have that many ports open they won't do anything. So im going to bring my brothers computer here and if his has the same problem then that can only mean its the service. Does anyone know why i have that many ports open when nothing is running.

Thanks again for your help
Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Linux Member

Well, it could be a virus. I'm reluctant to suggest that because (a) it's one of the favorite customer service cop-outs, and (b) I assumed that you had run a virus scan.

Your idea to bring your brother's computer over for a test is a good one. If the problem happens with two entirely different computers, then it's likely that it's the common part -- their hardware.

BTW, I don't know what you consider "sporadic" time-outs, but on our wireless service -- not Xplornet, actually a fairly decent provider -- we typically get a service dropout about once a day, lasting for perhaps one minute. It's only a mild nuisance so I haven't bothered investigating further. I mention this so you have a basis for comparison.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo8 View Post
i took my computer to my brothers house and connected to his internet and my computer was working fine i had no issues with too many ports opened. then i brought my computer home and when i was browsing with no torrents running for 2 or 3 days i still get sporadic internet time outs. i called to complain and they keep telling me its my computer. They said again that i have 200 something ports open when i wasn't browsing or anything. So the tech said i have a virus or something. i've been running ever kind of virus scan spyware scan malware scan adaware scan i dont know what could be causing this. i am just wondering if i had my computer working fine at my brothers how can it not be okay at home. I keep insisting that its on there end and they keep telling me as long as it shows i have that many ports open they won't do anything. So im going to bring my brothers computer here and if his has the same problem then that can only mean its the service. Does anyone know why i have that many ports open when nothing is running.

Thanks again for your help
Based on your earlier post, you are not using 2000 ports even with your torrents running.

You might want to look at the SM statistics (http://169.254.1.1) and see what your RSSI and Jitter stats are. Watch the Jitter for a minute or so to see if it jumps over 8-10 (screen refreshes every 5 seconds by default). Try this with and without your torrents. I've seen Jitter jump when a connection is heavily used. And this could be causing your time outs.

Which service are you using: satellite or fixed wireless?

Last edited by fasteddy2 : 12-15-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 AM

Been there done that. Got the you have too many ports open. After getting me to jump through hoops and countless checks for viruses I stopped in at the nearest tower location where I happen to know the folks who not only installed my system but also have the tower on their property and they tell me that the tower is in need of repair. Apparently a cable to the system needs replacing due to intermittent signal loss. Once the repair was made there have been no more drops of service. So it's not always the customers equipment that is the problem.