XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Satellite Forum (Telesat Anik F2/F3. Hughesnet Spaceway3 KA. KU.) * (older satellites) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Linux Member

Arrow Satellite FAQ: FAP (Fair Access Policy)

1. What is FAP?

All Satellite Internet works by sharing a fixed amount of satellite bandwidth among many users. In order to make it affordable, the service provider takes advantage of the fact that not everyone is using their full allotment all the time. Much of the time, your Internet connection is idle while you're reading web pages or email or such. So the service is "oversubscribed" -- it does not have enough bandwidth to handle every single subscriber if they all demand full speed at the same moment.

During periods of high demand -- such as the "prime time" from 5 pm to 11 pm -- it would be possible for a heavy user to "hog" the bandwidth and prevent many other users from accessing the Internet. So all satellite providers enforce a "Fair Access Policy." Details differ, but they all have this in common: during a given period of time, there is a limit on how much data you can download or upload. If you exceed that limit, your speed will be automatically reduced so you don't "hog" the satellite.

Please note that this is not the same as the slowdown you get from congestion. During prime time, you'll typically see your speed drop to half of the "normal" value. This is not because of FAP; this is simply because so many users are sharing the satellite bandwidth.

2. How is this legal?

You agreed to this when you signed your contract for Xplornet service. They don't promise you X kilo-bits-per-second; they promise you "up to" X kilo-bits-per-second. And they explicitly reserve the right to put FAP limits on you.

3. What are the Ka band FAP limits?
Hughesnet KA band FAP same as KU band. Hit FAP and go to dialup jail for 24 hours.
Ping times???? Starting at 800ms and up depending on users online.

If you have the Ka-band service (Kazam, Kazoom, etc.), the FAP policy is set by Telesat Canada. The bad news is, no one knows what the "threshold" is to trigger FAP restrictions. That threshold is decided from hour-to-hour by their computers, depending on how much demand there is for the satellite. During prime time, we've had reports that downloading as little as 10 to 12 MB in one hour will trigger FAP. During the overnight hours (midnight to 7 am), I've been able to download 200 MB/hour on the Kazam plan without triggering FAP.

The good news: unofficially, during FAP your service is only restricted to 40% of your normal speed. (I got this number from a Telesat rep, but it is subject to change at any time.) So your satellite should still be faster than a dial-up modem. Also, a FAP restriction lasts for only one hour. So if you walk away from your computer for an hour, you can come back and enjoy your normal Internet speed.

4. What are the Ku band FAP limits?

If you have the Ku-band service (HN7000/7700 modem), the FAP policy is set by the U.S. company HughesNet. This company imposes a fixed limit per 24-hour period. For the most basic plan, that limit is 200 MB. So if you download more than 200 MB during any 24-hour period, you will get FAPped. More expensive plans have higher limits.

The bad news: a HughesNet FAP lasts for 24 hours, and during that time your speed will be limited to about 16 Kbps. That's about one-third the speed of dial-up. So when you get FAPped on Ku band, you might as well turn the satellite off and go back to your old dial-up service for a day.

On the brighter side, the Ku-band modems are smart enough to keep track of how much data you have transferred. And some enterprising users in the U.S. have written software to let you monitor this on your computer, and warn you when you're getting near your FAP limit. If you're using Ku-band service, you should visit one of the U.S. HughesNet forums, such as this one, for up-to-date information.

5. How can I tell if I've been FAPped?

For the Ka band service, the only way to tell if your service has slowed down because of FAP is to call customer support.

For the Ku band service, HughesNet provides a web page which indicates your current FAP status. You'll need to provide your system ID number. (Sorry, I've lost the details on this.)

6. How can I download large files?

For Ka-band service, Xplornet and Telesat advise that if you need to download a large file, you do so between midnight and 7 am your local time. This is the quietest time for the satellite, and most likely you can run all night at your full plan speed without triggering a FAP. (And if you do trigger a FAP, just suspend your download when you wake up, and you should be back to normal speed in an hour.)

For Ku-band service, at last report HughesNet is not enforcing the FAP between 3 am and 6 am Eastern time. Downloads during those three hours don't count against your 200 MB (or whatever) daily limit. So you should schedule your large downloads then. Make sure they end by 6 am.

If you're going to be doing a lot of large downloads, you should get a download manager program for your computer. Such a program can schedule downloads to start automatically during the early morning hours. See Wikipedia for a list of download managers.

Last edited by xplornetsuck : 08-19-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
2. How is this legal?

You agreed to this when you signed your contract for Xplornet service. They don't promise you X kilo-bits-per-second; they promise you "up to" X kilo-bits-per-second. And they explicitly reserve the right to put FAP limits on you.
every isp that i have had works the same way (my telus adsl connection is a burst of 1.5(avrage just over 1) down with monthly limits that thank god that they do not enforce)
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM

Default 10% after 410kb with xplornet

xplornet restricts you to 10% of your bandwidth after just 410kb, thats right from their service people. I live in restricted mode...xplornet sucks...
Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Linux Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpe0318 View Post
xplornet restricts you to 10% of your bandwidth after just 410kb, thats right from their service people. I live in restricted mode...xplornet sucks...
I think that's wireless, not satellite.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 PM

the basic level 50 dollar package of KA service has an hourly download limit of 24 megs followed by an hour of restriction

using your service during a fapped period will increase the time you are fapped
Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Linux Member

For Telesat Ka it depends on the time of day and the amount of usage. I once did some downloads near -- but not in -- prime time, and the FAP got applied at 16 MB. Different people have reported numbers from 10 MB to mid-20s at different times.