XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet LTE network * (Newest Network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2015, 09:37 PM

Default Considering Xplornet Again

I had xplornet about 6 years ago when it was the original(motorola?) fixed wireless modem/antenna. I beleive it was a 5mbps package, but at the time I did quite a bit of gaming and the latency wasn't great and it caused quite a bit of lag during game play.

I switched to DSL, but was and still am only able to get 2mbps speed because of how far i am from the CO. Even with the slower speed, the latency was way better and gaming was much more stable.

Fast forward to today and my DSL speed has been slowly dropping and I am averaging around 1mpbs these days, and my ISP hasn't been much help. I decided to look into wireless again and was happy to see the newer technology and faster speeds available.

I am wondering how much better the speeds and latency is going to be compared to the old service? I used to get pretty close to 4-5mbps consistently. I am also pretty much across the road from the tower which is nice. Also I don't think there are a lot of subscribers on the tower because most of the surrounding area can get DSL or cable internet.

These days I am not gaming as much. Mostly netflix, youtube, and we also have VoIP. I have to assume that all these things will have to be as good or better on the new LTE wireless. I am thinking about getting the 10mbps service.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:00 PM

Is xplornet the only WISP in your area? I left my 3 MEG WISP for 10 meg Xplornet package (WIMAX) and average 3 MEG in the evening! LTE is install on the tower but going live is on hold because of hardware issues ( they dont have any or very few radios!!!!!)

Morale of my story call and ask how many are on your area tower. LTE is better but if the tower is full it wont help a lot!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesy View Post
These days I am not gaming as much. Mostly netflix, youtube, and we also have VoIP. I have to assume that all these things will have to be as good or better on the new LTE wireless. I am thinking about getting the 10mbps service.
Yeah, their new LTE wireless does look appealing. As what Mark has said, there is currently an issue with their radios and they are holding off people from signing up. (Which is surprising because typically they like to sell you bad hardware and take your money.)

I am also getting their 10mbps/250gb cap package. However, due to their radio issue and how it might take a month before they get their new radios and that their 250gb package deal ends on August 31st, I already work order placed with that package so even after the deal ends, I will still be able to get it. Their 25mbps also looks appealing but many people have been reporting 2-3mbps on it because everyone is signing up on the 25mbps/500GB cap for $89.99 and it's overloading their network.

To be honest, I think I will be the only one on LTE on my tower with a 250gb cap from the looks of it. (As everyone else will be placing work orders after the tower is up and not calling in advanced and placing a work order with these packages. However, it took me approximately 3-5 calls to Xplornet for them to make the work order with that package. I will actually be saving money upgrading from my current 5mbps/100gb cap package.)

The 'only' problem with the 250gb package is that once you go over it, they will charge you $2.00 per gb. Me and my family uses the internet a lot and play a lot of online games. And we typically use around 100gb a month. (Currently we are going about 120gb because it's the summer and everyone is on the internet.) So 250gb will be enough.

If you look on the forums, a lot of people seem happy with their ping so if you do intend to do some online gaming, you should be good. Average ping from Southern Ontario to LA with Xplornet LTE is around 100ms (Which is apparently where a lot of game servers are hosted). Pinging google.ca or even New York will give you been 20-50ms. I am currently on Xplornet 4G and when no one is online, my ping is around 40-60ms to google and when I am playing a game like CS:GO, the ping average around 70-90ms. However once someone else goes on the internet, ping goes up to almost a thousand. However, that issue wont be happening with the LTE unless someone is downloading at full 10mbps.

Last edited by Java : 08-20-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the response. I will call and look into ordering. I find it funny that the only plans they advertise on their website are the LTE plans, but they aren't even signing people up for it right now? That doesn't even make sense.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I will call and look into ordering. I find it funny that the only plans they advertise on their website are the LTE plans, but they aren't even signing people up for it right now? That doesn't even make sense.
You said it "doesn't even make sense"

I get a different answer every time I call.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM

I spoke to the local installer and he said the tower across the road from me is only wimax at the moment, but is scheduled for upgrade to LTE in the next few months. He said he could set me up on wimax now and flag me for upgrade when its available. According to him I can get 10mbps on the wimax, which is what i was planning to get on LTE. He says the benefit to LTE is the ability to get 25mbps if you have the line of site.

What are other peoples opinion on wimax? Will I ever see 10mbps on it? He says the tower I would hit has a low subscriber rate because its not very tall, and i know many in the area can get other forms of high speed internet. I just happen to be out of range for decent DSL, and no cable available.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I spoke to the local installer and he said the tower across the road from me is only wimax at the moment, but is scheduled for upgrade to LTE in the next few months. He said he could set me up on wimax now and flag me for upgrade when its available. According to him I can get 10mbps on the wimax, which is what i was planning to get on LTE. He says the benefit to LTE is the ability to get 25mbps if you have the line of site.

What are other peoples opinion on wimax? Will I ever see 10mbps on it? He says the tower I would hit has a low subscriber rate because its not very tall, and i know many in the area can get other forms of high speed internet. I just happen to be out of range for decent DSL, and no cable available.
Well I believe you can get an installer to come and just do a speedtest and if it's around the 10mbps he said he can offer, then I guess you can go with it until they upgrade the tower. However, I'd suggest you call them and ask if they will even do that for you. And be careful because if you don't sign up when the contractor comes, they charge you $100 and I think there is a $100 fee for signing up anyways. So you're still paying $100 no matter what.

I had Bell's old Wimax plan since 2009 and they just disabled my tower early this year. (Feburary.) That's when we switched to Xplornet. There were both positives and negatives with both systems. Bell's Wimax was unlimited so we had nothing to worry about. The ping on Xplornet's 4G Fixed Wireless is a big improvement when no one else is online at your house. And both of them had times when they went slow. Really, really slow.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 AM

Forgot to say about the throttling on the Wimax. Apparently Xplornet likes to throttle you a lot on it. You will get a burst of 3mbps or 5mbps or 10mbps or whatever package you will get and then it will go down to a couple hundred KBPS.

Last edited by Java : 08-24-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:17 PM

8/24/2015 8:12 PM EDT DOWN -5.25 Mb/s UP-0.95 Mb/s 62 ms Mississauga, ON ~ 50 mi

Very good night tonight im on the 10 meg WIMAX from 5pm to 11pm lucky to get 3 meg down. Xplornet say the tower is overloaded but they keep selling it!

Look at Bell Fixed wireless they may have it in your area
Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Tell your installer LTE is WAY more forgiving than WIMAX when it come to signal. If you can get the 10 MEG WIMAX package you will get the LTE signal NO problem at all.