XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet LTE network * (Newest Network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Default blocked ports / DDNS services with LTE network

Anybody experience with the LTE modems?

We have multiple customers transferred to LTE, because the speed looks really appealing. After a couple days we became suspicious because all of a sudden certain ports were not accessible. One customer using SBS 2011 was right away not able to use their mailserver. Neither was the DDNS service working. It seems that after a power cycle the WAN DHCP changes to a private network.

Too bad, all ports are closed! Phoning with tier1 didn't work, tier2 couldn't believe what the network technicians told them....it's not possible, "maybe" in the future and the only option you have is to continue with the old, slow, unstable wireless service in Southern Alberta.

I compared different customers, using the same LTE modem and look at the attached picture. Two Xplornet customers, LTE, one with a regular DHCP and one with a private IP. Fingers crossed, because probably it will change to a private IP.
One customer is back to the old system and I had really to talk for about half an hour to wave the installation cost.....

is there somebody out there who knows a work around?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (28.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-28-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemjz View Post
Anybody experience with the LTE modems?

We have multiple customers transferred to LTE, because the speed looks really appealing. After a couple days we became suspicious because all of a sudden certain ports were not accessible. One customer using SBS 2011 was right away not able to use their mailserver. Neither was the DDNS service working. It seems that after a power cycle the WAN DHCP changes to a private network.

Too bad, all ports are closed! Phoning with tier1 didn't work, tier2 couldn't believe what the network technicians told them....it's not possible, "maybe" in the future and the only option you have is to continue with the old, slow, unstable wireless service in Southern Alberta.

I compared different customers, using the same LTE modem and look at the attached picture. Two Xplornet customers, LTE, one with a regular DHCP and one with a private IP. Fingers crossed, because probably it will change to a private IP.
One customer is back to the old system and I had really to talk for about half an hour to wave the installation cost.....

is there somebody out there who knows a work around?
I don't have the LTE network.. however a couple of things..

Xplornet is known for port blocking and they have said in the past that without subscribing to static IPs on their network (which are not available on the LTE platform, and i don't see being available anytime soon) even normal VPN access is restricted (which would easily happen with blocking non-standard ports).

In both images, the WAN IP address are actually public IPs, "10.10..." is private domain, not 10.194... so in both cases they are public, dynamically assigned IP's.

They way to get most services working and work around their port-blocking is to use an OpenVPN connection and tunnel through HTTP TCP ports which cannot be blocked for obvious reasons.

Sounds like they are hosting their own mail server and trying to access it through DDNS? On xplornet's terrible upload speeds its probably not the best idea.. might be easier to simply run a cheap AWS instance and run their mail server there. Don't see any issues with that kind of setup and you'd have a static address to connect to.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:46 PM

I just had LTE installed and my router gave me a message saying my WAN port has a private ip and I have to switch to bridge mode. Very annoying as the router no longer controls ip assignments. Not sure about the ports though but if you want I can test that tomorrow just let me know which ones.

I have not contacted xplornet about this yet.