XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet LTE network * (Newest Network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl View Post
So folks with LTE how is your system working????
I just upgraded from the old Canopy system to LTE. I did a testmy.net speed test & it was 9.6 Mbps & I am paying for the 10 speed so I'm happy so far. After a few weeks of use I will give an update.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Default Update

OK, so after 3 weeks with LTE service on their 10 MB plan I am happy. I have checked my speed regularly & it has always been constantly above 9 mbps. The odd night it has slowed to 7 mbps but still way better then my old Canopy system. I will caution that I am around 1/2 mile from the tower with a clear line of site so my results may not be representative of the norm.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 AM

After having the Xplornet LTE 25mbps package for almost 7 months, I can say that it had it ups and downs.

From November to late Feburary, I never seen the system slow down. Always averaged 20-25mbps and the only time it went down to 5-10mbps was when it was raining or really foggy. However, once it was the month of March; many new installations started to appear. At that point, there were still no leaves so everyone was able to pick up a signal. This caused the LTE panel/node that I was on to overload, causing slowdowns that resulted in only being able to pull 5-10mbps from 4PM to 12AM. We couldn't complain that much as the only other ISP in my area (Vianet) has a max speed of 7mbps down and 2 up on certain selected towers that we may or may not even be able to get, so we didn't really bother.

It wasn't until late April or early May that we started to receive the full speed again. At the same time we experienced the speed boost, the leaves started to come in and being one of the only people in my area that is on a hill (probably the highest hill) we still had a "good" signal. Our DB dropped from 20 or so down to 8-9 DB at that point. Now, many of the installations I've seen that have been installed in the winter look like they "barely" even get the signal. So once the leaves came in, it looks like many people's speeds dropped down really low and congestion seems to be non-existant.

In early May, we also signed up for the Xplornet VoIP, and we have had no issues with it. We have no idea if getting VoIP had anything to do with our speed increasing, but if it did; it's probably so the VoIP has a good connection and Xplornet had to set us on priority on the tower to keep the good connection. I've done some tests while using VoIP and I have noted that even when I had a download that was using 20-25mbps, it caused barely any noticeable differences.

Now it's June and we are really satisfied with the LTE. The VoIP works no problem, our DB sits now at around 8-13 DB and it has not affected our speed at all. Hopefully our connection can stay like this for another year or so until Rogers or Bell finally rolls out Fiber in our area as they both claimed that they had "future plans" to install it. (Being relatively close to Toronto.)

For anyone asking for a speed test, here is a SpeedOf.Me test:

The only thing I dislike about the service is that there is still no static IP's and that 1mbps for the upload is awfully low. I would also like to say that the tower I am on is located 15 kilometers away from me.

Last edited by Java : 06-13-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
After having the Xplornet LTE 25mbps package for almost 7 months, I can say that it had it ups and downs.

From November to late Feburary, I never seen the system slow down. Always averaged 20-25mbps and the only time it went down to 5-10mbps was when it was raining or really foggy. However, once it was the month of March; many new installations started to appear. At that point, there were still no leaves so everyone was able to pick up a signal. This caused the LTE panel/node that I was on to overload, causing slowdowns that resulted in only being able to pull 5-10mbps from 4PM to 12AM. We couldn't complain that much as the only other ISP in my area (Vianet) has a max speed of 7mbps down and 2 up on certain selected towers that we may or may not even be able to get, so we didn't really bother.

It wasn't until late April or early May that we started to receive the full speed again. At the same time we experienced the speed boost, the leaves started to come in and being one of the only people in my area that is on a hill (probably the highest hill) we still had a "good" signal. Our DB dropped from 20 or so down to 8-9 DB at that point. Now, many of the installations I've seen that have been installed in the winter look like they "barely" even get the signal. So once the leaves came in, it looks like many people's speeds dropped down really low and congestion seems to be non-existant.

In early May, we also signed up for the Xplornet VoIP, and we have had no issues with it. We have no idea if getting VoIP had anything to do with our speed increasing, but if it did; it's probably so the VoIP has a good connection and Xplornet had to set us on priority on the tower to keep the good connection. I've done some tests while using VoIP and I have noted that even when I had a download that was using 20-25mbps, it caused barely any noticeable differences.

Now it's June and we are really satisfied with the LTE. The VoIP works no problem, our DB sits now at around 8-13 DB and it has not affected our speed at all. Hopefully our connection can stay like this for another year or so until Rogers or Bell finally rolls out Fiber in our area as they both claimed that they had "future plans" to install it. (Being relatively close to Toronto.)

For anyone asking for a speed test, here is a SpeedOf.Me test:

The only thing I dislike about the service is that there is still no static IP's and that 1mbps for the upload is awfully low. I would also like to say that the tower I am on is located 15 kilometers away from me.
Thanks for your update. I am curious about your comment "However, once it was the month of March; many new installations started to appear."
How can I find new installations that appear on my tower?

You also said "Now, many of the installations I've seen that have been installed in the winter look like they "barely" even get the signal."
I am also curious how I can find out how strong other peoples signal is?

Thanks

Last edited by question : 06-18-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 PM

Default Update

OK since my last update things are going south. The am speed-tests are uniformaly good but as you can see from the chart, the pm speed-tests just tank

PS: I do not know how to get a chart to show like the above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xplor.jpg (34.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-26-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by question View Post
Thanks for your update. I am curious about your comment "However, once it was the month of March; many new installations started to appear."
How can I find new installations that appear on my tower?

You also said "Now, many of the installations I've seen that have been installed in the winter look like they "barely" even get the signal."
I am also curious how I can find out how strong other peoples signal is?

Thanks
Sorry, I should've clarified that these were all assumptions. (It was late when it was written.)

During the month of March, I noticed that a lot of my neighbors had Xplornet LTE modems installed on their homes. And surprisingly at the same time, that is when I noticed that my internet started to slow down. In my area, there was still no foliage at the time so everyone must of had a good enough signal to sign up for the 25mbps package. Weeks before the leaves started to come in, I knew that a lot of people would lose the signal eventually (or have it drop low enough to not be able to get 25mbps) as it had happened to us when we had our Xplornet 4G installed back in March 2015 (ended up having to make a 20 foot extension.) So right when the leaves came in, our internet started to go fast again. I would also like to say that we are the only people on a tall hill in our area and between the tower and my area, there is a huge forest. (Which did not help as the tower the LTE is on is already short and it is currently situated 14 kilometers away from us at LOS.)

During March, we were getting 18-22DB on CINR0 and CINR1 and when the leaves came in, we dropped down to 8-12DB on CINR0 and CINR1. So if we had a noticeable drop on our signal (especially if we are on a hill), I assumed that anyone who does not have their modem high enough will lose signal as well.

There is no real evidence to back up my claims but from our past experience and timing of when everything happened, I was able to make these assumptions.

If you have any other questions or still not 100% sure of what I mean (It is a bit hard to explain my thought process of this), just ask.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by question View Post
OK since my last update things are going south. The am speed-tests are uniformaly good but as you can see from the chart, the pm speed-tests just tank

PS: I do not know how to get a chart to show like the above.
If you are talking about the chart I use, just go on speedof.me (That is the website I am using.)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Speedofme.com seems to be not very accurate. It under reports my download and over reports my upload speed.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:23 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

I've found speedof.me tends to fluctuate quite a bit in reported speed. Oh it does not like uBlock Origin on Firefox, Chrome mostly OK. Why do we block ads? Too many virus infected ads being dished out by even major websites, who do not properly control where the ads come from.

Try this speed test site.
Encrypted or not-encrypted versions. HTML5

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

it will also show buffer bloat (usually worse on the upload) and packet loss.

For your up to date adblocking goodness (and other crap): uBlock Origin. Available for both FireFox, Google Chrome and Safari, from their respective addon sites. Has a check mark setting to "Prevent WebRTC from leaking local IP addresses". Add-ons, Preferences, and show dashboard.

Last edited by buttitchi : 07-06-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shjinta View Post
UPDATE

Turns out my tower doesn't have LTE.. so the installer wasted an hour trying to lock us to another tower that was LTE ready.. Basically theres no ETA on when the tower is going to get the upgrade.. So even though Xplornet told me LTE was in my range, it's actually not. Fun for me.
This problem still exists at my local installer, who's tower for xplornet is on their property, less than 200 feet away from my location. They have no answers and according to them xplornet has clammed up saying nothing as to whether LTE will become available. Meanwhile back in 2015 the local installer did go around to the locals and install new defective radios and shortly after changed them all back.

But what worries me about this forum post is the number of folks indicating they are getting close to speeds expected but posts else where around the internet indicate a different picture on lte. So what is it? Is xplornet actually working as expected or are the folks getting good speeds but still can't watch netflix or youtube without interruptions/signal skipping? I'm leaning to those other posts who speak of throttling regardless of LTE speeds.