XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet LTE network * (Newest Network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM

Default Anyone Got a Review of the LTE system

Hey Guys,

I'm waiting for my local installer to get around to me to bump me up to the 25 LTE. I was wondering if someone here could answer a few questions?

1. My normal Fixed Wireless Latency bounces between 70-110ms What's the latency like on LTE?
2. What is the modem like? my FWA one was a tiny black box that got really hot.
3. Can we still get into the modem? I like having control of it.
4.What about download speeds? With my current 10mbps setup I'm luck to get 600kbps download speed..

Thanks for the info if anyone can answer those questions!
Old 05-13-2015, 02:32 PM

YMMV, but here is my experience after several months of using LTE in the Maritimes (we never had WiMAX in my area):

1. Latency is typically around 50-75 ms -- all day. No wild swings as was the case with the old Canopy service.
2. Sounds like the same unit. The device never gets that hot, though - maybe yours was defective?
3. You can get basic access to see signal strength and so on. Mostly read-only stuff. Someone else on here might correct me on this.
4. Typically 22-23 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. Fairly consistent throughout the day.

I've enjoyed it so far. It works great with VPN and VoIP. My only issue has been the paltry upload speed and the 100 GB cap. And I still want to see if the performance will degrade over the summer, when more leaves are on the trees.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
YMMV, but here is my experience after several months of using LTE in the Maritimes (we never had WiMAX in my area):

1. Latency is typically around 50-75 ms -- all day. No wild swings as was the case with the old Canopy service.
2. Sounds like the same unit. The device never gets that hot, though - maybe yours was defective?
3. You can get basic access to see signal strength and so on. Mostly read-only stuff. Someone else on here might correct me on this.
4. Typically 22-23 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. Fairly consistent throughout the day.

I've enjoyed it so far. It works great with VPN and VoIP. My only issue has been the paltry upload speed and the 100 GB cap. And I still want to see if the performance will degrade over the summer, when more leaves are on the trees.
That's interesting, in Ontario (Outside Ottawa) they're offering plans up to 250gb on the LTE platform.
Did you ever try the admin logins on another post here to see if you could get more access than basic like DMZ/UPNP access?
Can I ask Whats the VPN that you use? There's a whole other post on here about VPNs on LTE being really problematic.

I have the Wi-Max setup with the max of 10mbps and we're >0.5km from the tower, on there I get the same of around 60ms ping times. Don't think you can get much better than that with wireless.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to write me back.

Your last comment is my biggest worry. I'm afraid the performance is going to go down the tubes once the summer is over. Our towers are freshly upgraded and there isn't many users on it yet.. But as the summer progresses..
Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 AM

Given Xplornet's track record, you are right to worry.

Regarding the number of users, I had the same fear when I signed up for LTE, as I was one of the first in my area. Now, all of my neighbours have been converted to LTE and the speed has remained stable. The system does seem to be more robust. Fingers crossed for the summer.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:38 AM

Did you have to pay a 99$ activation fee?
Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM

I can't remember. I don't think so.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I can't remember. I don't think so.
Hey man, any chance you could check your bill? It's what's stopping me from upgrading right now. I can't get out of it. My local installer said I wouldn't be changed since I'm an existing customer but xplornet says no.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:34 PM

I didn't see an activation charge on the bill for that month. I switched from 4G satellite to LTE.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I didn't see an activation charge on the bill for that month. I switched from 4G satellite to LTE.
Damn.. After an hour of complaining, the best I got was half off the fee.. So 49.99$ is better than 100$