XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet LTE network * (Newest Network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Default VOIP on new LTE??

Hi,

Cancelled the 800MHz last year and went with RuralWave which is .... well they try hard but its long distance WiFi.

Just noticed that the LTE is "available"(? L0E 1T0 website 'says' available) and wondered if anyone has tried any VOIP on this system?

Is Xplornet still messing with time-critical packets or is the jitter so high that VOIP doesn't work?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-18-2015, 01:44 PM

I use the Rogers One Number app on my iPad for work calls. I haven't had a problem yet. Calls are clear and there is no lag.

The only hitch? The crappy 1 Mb/s upload speed. More than enough for VoIP, but ensure there are no other users or apps that are uploading data at the same time (such as a screenshare).
Old 02-20-2015, 01:45 PM

Ok thanks,

I'm trying to look at the cost in my budget. By getting rid of Bell, I can make the switch more palatable.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 AM

I see Xplornet is now offering home phone service. They must have some faith that the new network is robust enough to handle VoIP calls.

http://www.xplornet.com/homephone/
Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 AM

" No long distance charges when calling anywhere in New Brunswick" - What about the rest of Canada?? I'm in Ontario and it said it's available.

Not much info on the features offered....

Is it for thier 4G wireless or 4G Sat.???

Who know.......doesn't say.....
Old 03-11-2015, 08:46 AM

It's only available in New Brunswick (limited roll out).

But I have to ask why pay $20/mth which equals $240/yr + tax. There are quite a few VoIP phone services available now (I have a MagicJack). I've been using it for about a year now and am pleasantly surprised on how good it works. No dropped calls, no fading, no "talking in a tunnel". Now I admit I did configure my router to give the MagicJack's IP address the highest priority in the QOS engine.

Free long distance in North America, and for $35/yr it seems like a worthwhile investment to me.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 AM

You might want to check out Freephoneline.ca. You can use your own hardware or if you're not that technically inclined they have a 'sister' company Fongo where they sell you pre-configured hardware for $29 (on sale now) and $5/mth.

No I am not associated with them. You can get a phone number for $0 and use the desktop or iPad or other app for free but if you want your actual phones to ring it costs a few dollars.

(still waiting for the LTE in Zephyr, grrrr)