XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet LTE network * (Newest Network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garafraxa View Post
I'm following your Twitter conversation, Ed. I've never played with IPV6 either, I'll try it this afternoon. Fingers crossed!
Definitely let us know! I have a static IP on 4G, its definitely not IPV6... I don't even know what they mean when they use that because all your changing is the addressing, of which on the 4G system your still being issued an IPV4 address as Ed has said in another post.

I did have a chance to talk to a manager at Xplornet.. He has Explicitly told me Static IPs are NOT being discontinued for the 4G service, and you can subscribe to one (talking about getting spun around with mixed messages). On LTE its something they "should" be adding as that Static IPs are issued in blocks to each tower vs a block for a given region of towers and its not an issue that they have tackled yet.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM

UPDATE 17 Feb 2015:

I gave up on Viscosity. The program always worked fine for me on this iMac on the 4G network, but hasnít successfully connected since the upgrade to LTE.

I instead downloaded my provider's "lightweight" client (TorGuard Lite). It has fewer bells and whistles, but all the features I need are there. I was overwhelmed by the advanced options in Viscosity (and I still don't understand how to restrict a VPN connection to IPv6 only).

From limited testing this evening, I can confirm that this VPN connection is working! I don't believe anything has changed on Xplornet's end, I just got lucky fiddling with different options on my end. I have connected to VPN servers all over the world, confirmed the function of the VPN with whatsmyip.org, and run speed tests. I am consistently connecting and seeing data transfer at the expected rates. This testing has all occurred during "primetime hours", surely the most demanding time for the Xplornet network.

In short, I'm excited and pleased, and optimistic that this state of affairs will prove consistent over the next few weeks!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
UPDATE 17 Feb 2015:

I gave up on Viscosity. The program always worked fine for me on this iMac on the 4G network, but hasnít successfully connected since the upgrade to LTE.

I instead downloaded my provider's "lightweight" client (TorGuard Lite). It has fewer bells and whistles, but all the features I need are there. I was overwhelmed by the advanced options in Viscosity (and I still don't understand how to restrict a VPN connection to IPv6 only).

From limited testing this evening, I can confirm that this VPN connection is working! I don't believe anything has changed on Xplornet's end, I just got lucky fiddling with different options on my end. I have connected to VPN servers all over the world, confirmed the function of the VPN with whatsmyip.org, and run speed tests. I am consistently connecting and seeing data transfer at the expected rates. This testing has all occurred during "primetime hours", surely the most demanding time for the Xplornet network.

In short, I'm excited and pleased, and optimistic that this state of affairs will prove consistent over the next few weeks!
Congrats! That's awesome you got it to work! New question for you, how does your external IP look on the LTE network? On the 4G Ed had said you can see it as the xplornet cpe of 100. Something.

Have you ever tried using services like unblock-us to get USA Netflix vs VPN on LTE?

Any update to the VPN connection from your iOS device working?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Default Yes, VPN is Working on the LTE Network

Some updates for KingofRome:

I haven't played with unblock-us or any other VPN. TorGuard and their "lightweight" VPN app on the Mac just works perfectly and consistently for me. Yes, I can get US Netflix (and Mexican and Swedish and British Netflix!). Yes, the apps work on my iOS devices. I've never been able to reconfigure a router to use a VPN, though. When I want a foreign Netflix on my big screen, I turn on the VPN on iOS, start the Netflix app and choose the film, then AirPlay to my AppleTV. A bit clunky I suppose, but it works.

Sorry for the delay, since everything started working I've really tuned out of these forums. Xplornet certainly doesn't suck in my area.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Nice to hear that there is a way to use a VPN on Xplornet LTE. Upgrading really soon so it's nice to know that it works. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Some updates for KingofRome:

I haven't played with unblock-us or any other VPN. TorGuard and their "lightweight" VPN app on the Mac just works perfectly and consistently for me. Yes, I can get US Netflix (and Mexican and Swedish and British Netflix!). Yes, the apps work on my iOS devices. I've never been able to reconfigure a router to use a VPN, though. When I want a foreign Netflix on my big screen, I turn on the VPN on iOS, start the Netflix app and choose the film, then AirPlay to my AppleTV. A bit clunky I suppose, but it works.

Sorry for the delay, since everything started working I've really tuned out of these forums. Xplornet certainly doesn't suck in my area.
Totally makes sense for the VPN not working on routers and stuff.. on the Wi-Max i've been having a terrible time trying to connect using UDP connections and have to use TCP connections, but when i do that it works flawlessly. I'm excited though that you got everything working! Though for $5 a month unblock-us would definitely make things easier for you in not having to airplay. I'm still waiting for the LTE upgrade on my tower, though they've told me its scheduled for Sept 11 to be upgraded.. excluding the fact that there will probably be a delay in install because they have bad residential modems right now.
On a random note, I am wondering though if they will every increase the upload on their 25mbps package.. because the 1mpbs is every so tiny when the LTE tech their using can easily do 50mbps. The 1mbps can even slow down regular browsing connections because TCP requires confirmation, using upload, and by my use, its usually 5-10% of the download speed is being used upload on TCP.